Which coil to get (new to building)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
26awg and 28awg are the most common size wires for using on the kanger subtank mini .

if you google " steam engine coil calc " you can work out size ie dia and amount of turns coils to get you in the range you want.

kanthal is the metal the wire is made of most common wire used in normal mode ie VW or so called power mode.

clapton is a wire style ie wire or wires wrapped with outer spun wire or wires like a guitar string so named after the famous guitarist Eric Clapton .

common off the shelf clapton wire comes in different sizes most common is either 26 or 28 wrapped with either 30 or 32

clapton wire can also be a mixture of different wire metals ie kanthal ,SS, nickel ,etc etc and you need to know whats what for either power or temp mode.

youtube also has lots of coil building videos on either the OCC coils or the RBA deck for the subtank mini

hope this helps

Reactions: PoPoPoP

PoPoPoP

Jul 5, 2014
UK
26awg and 28awg are the most common size wires for using on the kanger subtank mini .

if you google " steam engine coil calc " you can work out size ie dia and amount of turns coils to get you in the range you want.

kanthal is the metal the wire is made of most common wire used in normal mode ie VW or so called power mode.

clapton is a wire style ie wire or wires wrapped with outer spun wire or wires like a guitar string so named after the famous guitarist Eric Clapton .

common off the shelf clapton wire comes in different sizes most common is either 26 or 28 wrapped with either 30 or 32

clapton wire can also be a mixture of different wire metals ie kanthal ,SS, nickel ,etc etc and you need to know whats what for either power or temp mode.

youtube also has lots of coil building videos on either the OCC coils or the RBA deck for the subtank mini

hope this helps

helpful thanks. So, should I use kanthal instead of clapton? Clapton is better for those who have temp control? My coolfire doesn't have that feature. Is there any major difference in between the both (clap and kan) in terms of vapour and flavor?

Reactions: gadgetkeith

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
helpful thanks. So, should I use kanthal instead of clapton? Clapton is better for those who have temp control? My coolfire doesn't have that feature. Is there any major difference in between the both (clap and kan) in terms of vapour and flavor?

wrapping a thin wire around a thicker wire core creates Clapton wire, It can be made with different wire types, but Kanthal is the most common. Then you take that wire you made and wrap it into a coil.

Nickel, Titatium and Stainless Steel can be used for TC modes as long as the mod supports it.

Don't worry about Clapton, Twisted, Parallel, etc... right now
Start with 28 or 26 ga wire, wrapping single coils and get comfortable doing it. Then start into more advanced builds.
Coils are pretty easy, the wicking will take some time to get down.

PoPoPoP

Jul 5, 2014
UK
wrapping a thin wire around a thicker wire core creates Clapton wire, It can be made with different wire types, but Kanthal is the most common. Then you take that wire you made and wrap it into a coil.

Nickel, Titatium and Stainless Steel can be used for TC modes as long as the mod supports it.

Don't worry about Clapton, Twisted, Parallel, etc... right now
Start with 28 or 26 ga wire, wrapping single coils and get comfortable doing it. Then start into more advanced builds.
Coils are pretty easy, the wicking will take some time to get down.

Thanks! I just need a Resistance tester now (so subtank mini can fit). Something like omnitester? Is there any different and better one? I've heard bad reviews about the omnitester product.

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
I use the one that came from my CoilMaster V3 kit. I build and check resistance on it first then double check on my mod before wicking it up.

If you have not already, try one of the tools like Steam Engine or Vape Tool to help determine how to build to hit the numbers you want. Like others said, there are a lot of youtube videos you can watch that will help quite a bit.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Kanthal is a type of wire clapton a type of coil. kanthal or other types of wire to make a claptoned coil.

hard to recommend a wire without knowing how you plan to fire the resulting build. In general at .5ohm or higher I'd start no thicker than 26awg. BUT if I had a lot of wattage to play with and regulation, I might consider thicker wire. Unregulated I'd probably work with thinner wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread