Which is less harmful for health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
After almost a decade of MTL and mostly DTL, personally studying the effects of vapor, I can offer a long-term study result. vaping is healthier than smoking. Sometimes I want a lung-buster chonk o' hot steam to tingle every cillia in my pulmonary system. Other times, a simple, high strength flavorful tootle puff is all I want. Sometimes I like tobacco flavors, and other times it's pastries, nuts and creams. The efficacy and improved health of vaping, in any style/flavor far outweighs any detriment between high and low resistance/nic level.
Just, for the love of the BEST vaping style, do yourself a favor and SQUONK!
← Dripster. I mean, ain't nobody got time to clean out a squonk bottle. ;)

Reactions: stols001

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I don't think anybody really knows to be honest but if I was to bet money I'd bet on inhaling less vapor at lower temperature as being less harmful. I've read many scientific articles and studies the past couple of months and I'm yet to find one that specifically differentiates between different kinds of vaping.
There are many variable factors included with both types of vaping: Different pg/vg ratios, different types of flavorings and additives used in juices, different vaping styles and frequencies among vapers (like some go through 2ml liquid a day doing mtl, others do 10ml), even different types of nicotine used: freebase and 3 types of salts, as far as I know- do they differ in terms of health effects?
Also lack of valid scientific data. If you are very concerned about health, my best advice would be to do as much research as possible, and go with your gut.

Keep in mind you don't necessarily need to use high nic in pods all the time. If you gradually cut down you'll be fine with lower nic, there are folks out there who vape 0 nicotine or/and unflavored juices.
My gut tells me that the surface temperature of a coil is not homogenously spread, and that temperature control doesn't work because it only measures an averaged number that isn't very representative of all the various different temperatures that occur, e.g., the center of the coil generates the most heat so the cooling effect caused by airflow characteristics in cohort with evaporation (that's right, evaporation causes cooling, and a freezer uses evaporation of a liquid coolant exactly because of it...) and juice flow characteristics are among critical factors. So, meticulously tweaking these factors and all the other factors each one of which is part determining these factors, is the way to go, when the fast vapor production of high wattage vaping on complex coils that I can build myself by using a cordless drill and some swivels is what enables me to actually FEEL, in the most direct sense of the word FEEL, what goes on with temperature and with the localized buildup of heat, thereby allowing my brain to outweigh the pros and cons engendered by these differences and changes. My gut feels.

Bottom line: I prefer to use mech mods with powerful intricate coil builds that are specifically designed to help clear the path toward my tactile senses. After all, the tactile senses are important for identifying touch, pressure, pain, temperature and texture so, going with my gut is the equivalent to the direct path only a mech is capable to provide, while at the same time also acknowledging the fact that the human ability to detect and accurately identify the aforementioned stimuli is linked logically to the intensity, or power so that's why James Watt also plays an important part... despite I happen to be HSP in such a particular way that I possess a magnified level of susceptibility to this specific type of stimuli I believe are at the core of the human species' naturally developed ability to detect and identify harm, intuitively, i.e., by going with your gut when being in absence of any additional data points. Sensing harm.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Higher nic does not have to be a pod system. They also are making "pods" now with two batteries in them and an RBA head you can build down to 0.015 or whatever.

Pods are dumb in my opinion get you a nice MTL tank or DL tank and mod or several and vape those.

THERE IS NO SYSTEM THAT MAKES YOU HAVE HIGHER OR LOWER NIC although there are SOME systems that rather ENCOURAGE your body to desire higher or lower nic due to some things called :"nic overload" or "not enough nic satisfaction."

Pods are just trendy right now but I still think they are not the greatest although they sure are flooding the market AND I am guessing some of the newer ones are better and more customizable.

But, no thank you.

And the answer to your question is NO.

Anna
I'm in Northwest Fl so I can't take a mod out in this 100 degree or more hot weather here, so I take a few pod mods/pod devices if I'm going to be out shopping or running the streets w/errands cause that e-liquid is heck on a mod w/leaking etc. & it possibly turning-over. I jus prefer a pod or mod pod device outside & in the car especially cause I rarely use my car a/c !

Reactions: stols001

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
i think it was dr F who recommends higher nic, lower wattage

pods or MTL RBA is irrelevant. But his view was that the flavours and VG/PG pose slightly higher risk than nicotine

it is a bit like saying the top of a hill is closer to the moon though, just splitting hairs IMO
Navigate to 1:51 in the video below.

Bottom line: nobody is going to use it if the amount of flavors is unsatisfactory, and the same can also be said about VG/PG and wattage, same as all the other factors that make the vape experience a satisfying experience, and that also includes personal preferences inherent of the person who vapes. BTW, that's Dr F talking right there... un-splitting those hairs. :thumbs:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
ensing harm.

There is in fact some data to support this. Picky eaters (children) one theory is they are an evolutionary throwback and are not into new stuff because they think it may harm them. The solution is to present the food every time, talk about how awesome it is, invite your picky eater to taste, touch, smell and otherwise do anything it wants with the food, but let the kid try a small amount (eventually) without too much pressure.

In cave person times, well, that's evolutionarily smart. If you come across a new berry or whatever, you don't want to eat HANDFULS of it you try a couple and see if they make you sick. Alcoholism is evolutionary I also believe, if you can eat more fermented "food" than the rest of your tribe without passing out, you win.

The husband is a firm proponent of this method. He is part native and sometimes when he gets sick he will want to "eat" things he comes across. So he looks them up and fairly frequently they might treat what he got. I am not so good at that but it's probably I don't listen to my body enough.

I KONW vaping is healthier for me than smoking. When I got my MRI of my lungs recently they said there was NO evidence of past COPD and even the scars on my lower left lobe were GONE. I don't know what to make of that other than vaping is EXTRAORINARILY better for me than smoking and that is one 'fact" that has data behind it,

I really think everyone should vape how they please, the harm reduction seems pretty universal to me.

Anna

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    If there wasn't any flavors, that would have truly left vaping the most willing to quit smoking.
    When I started, I was into flavored e-juices only. First retail juices, then to mixin' them, then to mixin' near total DIY. After a year or so I tried a retail unflavored e-juice, and soon discovered that it had an 'unflavored' ingredient in it. I wish I had taken a picture of the bottle, in the ingredient list there was of course nicotine, PG, and VG listed, but also a flavor labled 'unflavored'. .

So while the flavor thing had a lot to do with my 'jump into the vapin boat and find something to hold onto', the biggest reason I have been vaping for nearly 6 years and intend to keep doing so is a mashup of the amount of tarlessness and the WAY lesser amount of money I have spent.

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    Flavours are OK.

But inhaling less is very slightly better than inhaling more.

So in reference to the OP. 4ml a day of low wattage 50mg, is less (potentially but not guaranteed) harmful than high wattage with 3mg, which might consume 20ml a day.

But, as I said, it's like splitting hairs (differentiating minute details, I think that saying was misinterpreted before)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Sigh... this topic I say we move it outside so we could get Trump involved. Right now in my "seeking amusement anywhere with desperation," Trump is a rich mine of orange rock. I don't always disagree but I am USUALLY amused.

This is now flogging a dead horse which is a practice have never approved of ever.

Anna

Reactions: Doffy

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    giphy-downsized-medium.gif

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Oh no I'm gonna get sanctioned AGAIN MTL is the best!! DL is the bestest!! Dripping on mechs is like HEAVEN!!!!! Cigalikes are the BOMBG!! The are all safer than each other bur they are all the SAFEST and BEST!!!!!

They are all so GOOD!!! We should all keep talking about it endlessly!!!! LET the debating continue!!!!

Okay I gotta leave this thread for a while... LOL

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    With everything else being equal, it stands to reason that breathing in less of a foreign substance is better for your lungs than breathing in more.
    30ml @ 3mg or 5ml @ 18mg is the same amount of nicotine which the body will have to process but 6x the amount of VG/PG. That's an opinion but it's one that is based on logic.
    Opinions that conclude that more volume, less nicotine is better are not based on logic but on personal prejudice or preferrence.
    In my opinion :D

I've often wondered about nic concentration and higher or lower PG/VG consumption. I started vaping in 2010 at 24mg and tapered down to 3mg strength in the first couple of years I vaped. Recently, I mixed up some 18mg juice and found myself vaping less often. If I thought I could stay at 18mg and a reasonable juice consumption I'd move back. It's satisfying to take a hit and feel sudden satisfaction that lasts without having to vape every minute or two.

I tend to walk around with my vape in my hand or in my pocket. Some of us refer to our mod as a "pacifier". There's a lot of truth in that statement. :)

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I tend to walk around with my vape in my hand or in my pocket. Some of us refer to our mod as a "pacifier". There's a lot of truth in that statement. :)

Bit of truth there. I trimmed a bunch of boxwood bushes the other day. Last night I took all the cuttings across the road to the woods. Quite a few trips with my canvas yard tote, probably 45 mins of raking bagging and walking. I stuck a mod in my pocket before I went out. Don't think it came out of my pocket once but it had to be there.

Maybe there are some negative health consequences to vaping but there doesn't seem to be any clear evidence either way. I still eat red meat knowing it probably isn't good for me. And caffeine. And I don't eat boiled kale for breakfast. We all make choices based on sketchy evidence or no evidence at all, or even against the evidence. Why should we apply a higher standard to vaping and choose less juice at higher nic level because there's a possibility it might be healthier?

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    I do sometimes wonder what new a vaper expects from vaping. Do they think that vaping nicotine will offer sublime satisfaction like smoking does !. Are they aware of a thing called a "throat hit" !. Do they know that higher temperature vaping provides a different kind of throat hit unrelated to nicotine !. I imagine some new vapers try it then wonder why it works for others but not for them. Where do they even start !.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Bit of truth there. I trimmed a bunch of boxwood bushes the other day. Last night I took all the cuttings across the road to the woods. Quite a few trips with my canvas yard tote, probably 45 mins of raking bagging and walking. I stuck a mod in my pocket before I went out. Don't think it came out of my pocket once but it had to be there.

Maybe there are some negative health consequences to vaping but there doesn't seem to be any clear evidence either way. I still eat red meat knowing it probably isn't good for me. And caffeine. And I don't eat boiled kale for breakfast. We all make choices based on sketchy evidence or no evidence at all, or even against the evidence. Why should we apply a higher standard to vaping and choose less juice at higher nic level because there's a possibility it might be healthier?

For me, I 'd like to match my vaping to my former smoking habit. As a tech rep, I spent a lot of time in computer rooms and print shops maintaining my company's equipment. I'd go outside to the smoking area every couple of hours or so, burn a couple of smokes, and head back inside. Since I retired and started vaping I'm free to vape all day long most anywhere I happen to be. I vape about two 4ml tanks a day, sometimes more. I guess you could say that a tank for me is roughly equal to a pack of smokes. The great thing about vaping is the relative safety compared to burning tobacco. In ten years, you'd think that the medical world would have had time to examine vaping and find something bad if there was anything to find.

My health and my lung capacity 10 years from my last smoke are about as good as they were when I was a young man before I started to smoke. Vaping probably saved me from Emphysema and possibly a lung tumor. My lungs were still clear a few months ago when I had a chest X-ray. I've also had a CT scan in the last year or two that was clear.

Last edited:

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Why should we apply a higher standard to vaping and choose less juice at higher nic level because there's a possibility it might be healthier?
    Hi, you don't have to and nobody forces you to do it, but some folks want to know and want to choose a healthier option. That's the whole point of discussing such matters, to give people an idea of all the spects involved with the decision they make.

I personally want to know about what I'm doing (This is one of the reasons why I quit smoking once I weighted out pros andcons) Doesn't necessarily mean that such knowledge is going to change my decision regarding my vaping style but it could affect it. Let's say that in a year or two a series of studies comes out that will prove that higher wattage, more vapor and lower nic is in fact 4 times more harmful than mtl, then I would rather know that and I might reconsider my long-term choices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread