Which is the best tasting eliquid? Which are less harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I have been trying many different brands and I have found that some are quite harsh to inhale and some are quite lacking in flavor. Im a sub-ohm tank user and my favorite ratio is 80VG/20PG. What are some opinions on the best options?
You are going to get so many different answers to this.
What nicotine strength do you use, and what are some juices you don't like? Brands and flavors.
I know for myself some flavors are harsher on the throat than others. Mango is the one that pops to mind for me as having more throat hit, as an example.
As far as juice not having enough flavor, that can depend a lot on the tank you are using and how you use it.
One of my favorite juices is Mangosteen Cream from SUA vapors. Good stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My only contribution will be some generalized information about terminology and the components of e-liquid.

We should probably differentiate the difference between "harshness" and "throat hit". Harshness is that unexpected and unpleasant sensation when inhaling your vape. Throat hit is the expected sensation in the back of your throat that one typically gets from smoking.

Throat hit chiefly comes from the concentration of liquid nicotine in the e-liquid mix. Pg (propylene glycol) also contributes some to throat hit, but less so than nicotine.

Many things can contribute to make a e-liquid or flavor have harshness. The quality of the flavoring agents, Pg, Vg, and/or nicotine involved in the mix; the recipe mix itself may be "off" if you DIY. Certain flavors may appear to be harsh to different individuals, while the same flavors may taste great to other individuals. That's a very important point to remember: Taste is extremely subjective. What one person likes, the next will not, and vice versa. That's why I don't put much stock into e-liquid reviews, because it is an opinion of one individual and that person's taste buds and taste preferences are probably nothing like mine, nor yours.
All juice delivery attachments (clearomizer tanks, RDA's, RTA's, cartotanks, etc) will deliver vapor and flavor uniquely and differently. One isn't necessarily better than another, they just do their job a little differently with different results.

Wicking material and coil selection contributes to flavor. Some people like plain cotton, some people like Rayon...the list goes on and on. Some people like exotic coils like Claptons, while other people like a simple coil.
Vaping can be described as a journey. You won't know what you prefer or like until you actually experience it.

I don't generally recommend a commercially-made e-liquid line because I have yet to find one that I like all or even most of the offerings. I may like one or two offerings from a particular manufacturer, but that is no guarantee that someone else will like them as much as me. I've been vaping for nearly seven years, worked in a vape shop where I had the opportunity to taste for free scores of flavors from dozens of manufacturers, and have tasted literally hundreds of flavors over my vaping experience. That's my :2c:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
And, to totally confuse the issue, I find all commercial juices unsatisfactory unless highly diluted. I mix my own and came to that, as Baditude said above, by my own experience. That experience took a while and, frankly, cost me more money than would like to admit.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
To the OP...what you think of as harsh someone else may not think so. The same with flavor. It's all subjective. I was offended recently when someone here talked about dumping juice down the sink, and it was a brand I really like.

You have to try different brands and flavors to find out what trips your trigger and what makes you gag. It's part of the vape journey. And expect your tastes to change over time.

Enjoy.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Really?

TC: Any reason against it?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I get what you are saying but I DIY, however my husband and many others seem to like Heather's Heavenly Vapes, there are a few kind of "stand out" vendors, and usually they will have a pretty active thread, often with the vendor title in it and such, it may be worth checking out some of those threads.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have been trying many different brands and I have found that some are quite harsh to inhale and some are quite lacking in flavor. Im a sub-ohm tank user and my favorite ratio is 80VG/20PG. What are some opinions on the best options?

What tastes better Coke, Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper? Taste is subjective and everyone is going to prefer something different so even the answers you get here you may not agree with. Personally I DIY my eliquid, so to me, mine is the best.

dmj4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
TN
What tastes better Coke, Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper? Taste is subjective and everyone is going to prefer something different so even the answers you get here you may not agree with. Personally I DIY my eliquid, so to me, mine is the best.

Hmmm.........this makes me miss my Crisp Cola from Kick Bass Vapor. It was my very first "favorite".

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
My only contribution will be some generalized information about terminology and the components of e-liquid.

We should probably differentiate the difference between "harshness" and "throat hit". Harshness is that unexpected and unpleasant sensation when inhaling your vape. Throat hit is the expected sensation in the back of your throat that one typically gets from smoking.

Throat hit chiefly comes from the concentration of liquid nicotine in the e-liquid mix. Pg (propylene glycol) also contributes some to throat hit, but less so than nicotine.

Many things can contribute to make a e-liquid or flavor have harshness. The quality of the flavoring agents, Pg, Vg, and/or nicotine involved in the mix; the recipe mix itself may be "off" if you DIY. Certain flavors may appear to be harsh to different individuals, while the same flavors may taste great to other individuals. That's a very important point to remember: Taste is extremely subjective. What one person likes, the next will not, and vice versa. That's why I don't put much stock into e-liquid reviews, because it is an opinion of one individual and that person's taste buds and taste preferences are probably nothing like mine, nor yours.
All juice delivery attachments (clearomizer tanks, RDA's, RTA's, cartotanks, etc) will deliver vapor and flavor uniquely and differently. One isn't necessarily better than another, they just do their job a little differently with different results.

Wicking material and coil selection contributes to flavor. Some people like plain cotton, some people like Rayon...the list goes on and on. Some people like exotic coils like Claptons, while other people like a simple coil.
Vaping can be described as a journey. You won't know what you prefer or like until you actually experience it.

I don't generally recommend a commercially-made e-liquid line because I have yet to find one that I like all or even most of the offerings. I may like one or two offerings from a particular manufacturer, but that is no guarantee that someone else will like them as much as me. I've been vaping for nearly seven years, worked in a vape shop where I had the opportunity to taste for free scores of flavors from dozens of manufacturers, and have tasted literally hundreds of flavors over my vaping experience. That's my :2c:
Well said.....haven't really seen mentioned about differentiating between the TH and harshness, but I can definitely add one thing to this, one particular harshness comes with a flooded coil or just a coil that's a bit too wet and perhaps insufficient power to run said coil. Alot of my rtas have juice control and if that JC is open too much it produces a very harsh hit, which is quite different to my normal received TH.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Everyone gets something different from the hot bar and the dessert bar at the local buffet and we all have our favorites. But like the buffet, you have to try a lot of choices to find the vape juice that's your favorite all day vape.

The best tasting juice may be the juice you mix yourself.

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States

"which are less harsh?"
"what is the best tasting eliquid?"

I will reiterate baditude's reply.
more nicotine = bigger throat thump.
lower your nic for smoother vapor.
"throat hit" is that thump on inhale. it's a clean kick to the back of your throat.
higher propylene glycol in juice can also add to that thump/throat hit.

higher vegetable glycerin juice will produce a more delicate or spongy inhale. opening up your air holes in your atomizer would also do this. air flow is a huge contributor to that harshness you may be referring to. sometimes an exhale will elicit a cough or pain in the throat: this can usually be fixed by tuning airflow.

as for the best tasting juice, this is very subjective. personally, I find many popular juices are artificial tasting in a chemically way. for instance, most chocolates taste like fake chocolate flavoring- the kind you'd taste in a dollar store chocolate taffy (that has no chocolate in it) and most strawberries taste like tangy strawberry hard candy to me. I get by using cheaper juices by picking flavors that have a cream component. strawberry custard, for example... chocolate milk.

many of the TRENDY online juice vendors sell juice I genuinely dislike. typically, i'll find a flavor and stick with it, because the chances I like 2 juices from the same vendor are slim. keep a booklet of liquids you've tried to keep track of the ones you've enjoyed.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I have to agree with everything that has been said so far but i'll go one further.....sounds to me like you might be ready to go diy. You get to choose what you like and finding a recipe that a lot of people also like is usually an ok benchmark for choice. I certainly know that I used to get fed up trying new juices because the number of times you get something yuk was too high for my liking. Try it out it's great and there's only a small learning curve before vaping decent stuff.

EDIT..Knew new...grammar my boy! :rolleyes:

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
What tastes better Coke, Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper?

Pffft! Everybody knows RC tastes better.

Now asking which root beer tastes best has started wars and caused ordinarily normal people to became completely unglued over some peoples picks...

My pop used to say never discuss religion, politics or root beer with strangers.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I loved getting sample boxes from Zamplebox. It's a little bit pricey but you get to make a profile, and every month they send you eliquid to taste and your requirements. You get to vape a lot of new stuff you never knew you liked.
Also I ask a lot about what other people vape. You'll soon find your taste!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread