Which Mesh 200 250 300 400 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
New Sat22 Clone. Didn't come with mesh.. Did come with pre-wicked 4 strand silica coils. No idea how to use that in this atty.

I use 50/50 or higher PG, NET juices.. Don't know what the coil will be yet. But it will run regulated to 5-15watts. Current atty is a kayfun, at 1.8-2ohm and 8-10watts. Goal is more flavor than the kayfun.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I would select 400-600.

Based on ALL the information available....What do you think?

...helps those that help themselves.

Sat22 setup - YouTube

Thats the problem there is actually very little direct info on the subject. There are lots of comments mentioning mesh, in discussions about other things. But not really a lot of discussion of mesh itself. lot's of do this dp that, very little WHY.

Based on the info I have seen, I don't KNOW. Thats why I asked the question on this site dedicated to helping OTHERS, help themselves.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Capillary action is the WHY.
Most videos/reviews will note what size mesh/wire they are using. Please use those as a guide.
Genesis attys have been around for YEARS...There is NO shortage of information.

Cheers
I

Most build vids are builds for sub ohm, which I don't do. In most cases, the info they give won't apply to me, except for the mechanics of the process. They also rarley say WHY they are using what they are using. I don't have question on HOW to build a coil. But why to use 200 vs 500 mesh and when to use 200 wrapped in or over 400. I don't really care that someone did a build, I care about why they did it and does it do what they expected.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Huh, I'd think it the other way around. Finer weave being faster and more open weave holding more. Shorts part, I get that one completely.
Well like I said the consensus has changed over the years...a few years back the consensus was 500 mesh wicked the fastest and the more solid your wick the faster it would wick. Now most people don't make their wicks solid and most people feel that 200 mesh wicks faster. I agree with the latter.

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
I've used 500 for years in genesis builds. I can chain vape max vg Boba's Bounty out of a Zenisis and not get a dry hit.

What is it you're trying to accomplish?

I believe people get way to opinionated and stuck on my way is the only way.

Try a few different mesh sizes and find what works best for you. It's all good and will work fairly well in most builds. It's not like 200 won't work at all where 500 will work all the time. I've used 200 and 500 and everything in between, if I was completely honest with you I'd bet there are few people that could actually tell the difference in a blindfold taste test.

Vapers are a peculiar bunch.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
IMO, 200 mesh might wick more juice at a time, but at a slower rate. 500 would wick less juice at a time, but at a higher rate. BUT, all the mores and lesses and fasters vs slowers are going to be affected by the viscosity of the juice. Thick juice is going to have issues with moving through fine mesh and thin juice is qoing to have issues filling big holes of course mesh, hurting the capilary function.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
What is it you're trying to accomplish?

I believe people get way to opinionated and stuck on my way is the only way.

Accomplish???? A good Vape. I just have never bought mesh before. The wicks in my Turbine are desentegrating and I have no Idea what mesh they are anyway. Also My new Sat22 didn't come with any mesh, so I need some for that.

I vape 70pg/30 to 50/50, NET juices, looking to use the Sat22 at 1.5ohm or more.

Yeah, sometime I think people forget that OPINIONS, are never wrong, they only differ. I think they also forget that almost everything about vaping is subjective, within the limits of the technology. AND that most of what we do is experimental and there is no RIGHT way to do it or BEST way or piece of tech for doing it.

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I've also heard the lower mesh count = faster wicking and higher mesh count = holds more liquid, though I've never really been able to tell a huge difference between the 325, 400 and 500 performance wise.

I use 50/50 NETs as well and have been happy with the performance I get from 500 in most of my gennies (DID, RSST, Sat22, Prometheus, etc) and so haven't spent too much time experimenting with other counts. My Sat22 I still get dry hits every once and a while with 500, however I think that's more a factor of me not setting it up quite right versus the mesh not being able to keep up.

I think the quality of your coil and wick rolling/sizing is probably far more important than the mesh count when it comes to performance, which isn't to say you may not perceive one working better than another for you.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
[QUOTE="TheOnyxEgg, post: 15889614, member: 210089"

I use 50/50 NETs as well and have been happy with the performance I get from 500 in most of my gennies (DID, RSST, Sat22, Prometheus, etc) and so haven't spent too much time experimenting with other counts. My Sat22 I still get dry hits every once and a while with 500, however I think that's more a factor of me not setting it up quite right versus the mesh not being able to keep up.
.[/QUOTE]

Just got a Sat22.
What kind of build do you use on your SAT22? What power do you run it at?

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
Just got a Sat22.
What kind of build do you use on your SAT22? What power do you run it at?

I personally bounce around on my Sat builds depending on juice or mood. Currently I've been running it with a 200 mesh loose straw wick | 28 gauge | 3-4 wrap | 0.7ohm | max VG juice. Can chain vape without any dry hits... only thing that stops you is the heatsoak. Add an extra wrap if you don't like your vape as warm.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I personally bounce around on my Sat builds depending on juice or mood. Currently I've been running it with a 200 mesh loose straw wick | 28 gauge | 3-4 wrap | 0.7ohm | max VG juice. Can chain vape without any dry hits... only thing that stops you is the heatsoak. Add an extra wrap if you don't like your vape as warm.

Yeah, I imagine that would be a bit hot, for me...... But it helps. If it were for my Kayfun, I'd need about 4-6 wraps (or fat wire) to get the temp to a vapable level

Do Genis, generally need a hotter coil than you might run on say a Kayfun?

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Yeah, I imagine that would be a bit hot, for me...... But it helps. If it were for my Kayfun, I'd need about 4-6 wraps (or fat wire) to get the temp to a vapable level

Do Genis, generally need a hotter coil than you might run on say a Kayfun?

It's just different. When I first got a KFL I tried a standard-issue gennie 4-wrap 28 awg for roughly .8 ohm. Nearly plasma-torched my tongue to bits, that ........ In my gennies the same setup gives a nice and cool vape.

I think there is some heatsinking involved, as well as a mesh wick being a "perfect" fiber wick in the way that the fibers are perfectly uniform, parallell and run in two directions. Unlike i.e cotton wicks which wicks fast lengthwise but not sideways. Makes me believe a mesh wick supplies more liquids; thus more liquid cooling.

In short: Yes, you may want a "hotter coil" in a gennie. But you may be surprised when it produces a cooler vape.

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
I should have said this in my previous post.

You can read all day long and get literally hundreds of different pieces of really great advice, take those same ideas home and do the thing exactly as the person advised you to do and not be satisfied.

Literally, the best advice is, read a bit, till you get a general idea, watch a few how to videos so you can see how to do things, then get a few different mesh sizes and wire sizes and start wrapping your own wicks and coils.

There is already more than enough info in this thread alone to get you started confidently.

If it doesn't work for you make note of how you did it and what you used and base your next wick and wire on your juice choice and have at it again.

There are no wrong ways to wrap wick and coils. I suggest 4-5 wraps of wire to get you started, that's higher ohms and lower temps....

Get your own experience, it's easy, nothing like building a rocket.

When I started, my first mod was a Zenisis Hybrid Genesis, at the time there were hundreds of people here on the forums complaining how hard it was to get them working. I just watched Zen wrapping a wick and coil on his own product and did what he did. I have a few minor problems getting the hot spots to settle down, but after some patience and determination I got it working. That first wick and wire I ever wrapped lasted me a month and that was vaping Boba's Bounty which is known as a coil gunker. I've learned to wrap a new wick and coil and get the very few hot spots out and back to vaping in 5-10 minutes.

If I had listened to all the haters and impatient people that were telling me going with a Zen was a BAD choice I would not now have one of the best performing, DURABLE and flavorful mods ever made. Still use it, still love it. I have some other devices now, but the Zen and genesis devices are still my favorite for all around use.

My Zen is almost 3 and literally for two years it went everywhere with me, every single day. Been dropped on every surface imaginable and it's never let me down. Always fires and always satisfies.

If my dumb ... can start with a Zenisis and make it work for me others can do it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread