Which PV do you recommend to a newbie?

If you would have to recommend to strangers exactly one type of PV as their very first PV, which one

• Pipe

• Cigar (including Cigarillos and TAWCs)

• 801 atty on a mod

• Janty Stick

• 901 or RN4075

• 901 or RN4075 atty on a mod

• 510 atty on a mod

• eGo/Tornardo

• Cartomizer like KR8 or Greencig

• Cartomizer on a mod

• Another 3-part mini like DES103, M40x

• Super-Mini like the RN408, "like a cigarette"-PV

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
I am fully aware of the discussions about the relative merrits of this PV vs. that PV. However, I am curious about the numbers here:
If you would have to recommend to strangers exactly one type of PV as their very first PV, which one would you choose? For example, if you explain vaping to a group, or on an information webpage or in a brochure or anything like that. (And yes, I know that is not an easy question.)

Given the development of new PVs, there will inevitably be a point in the not too distant future where the possible answers need to be changed, or rather, where a new poll is in order. Therefore, this poll will run for three months only, and then, or if there is a new PV on the market before that, somebody (maybe me) should make a new one.

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
I'd go with the 510 for the following reasons:

1.) $40 (US) plus juice for a good starter set-up.
2.) Good vapor production, flavor and TH.
3.) That's what I use!

I agree. I wish the 510 was my first PV, unfortunately it was the NPRO, blah.

But, the 510 is great. I didn't say "510 with mod" because mod's are too complicated for a newbie to understand although I think everyone should have a battery mod.

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
I went with the KR8, since it's what I have. The cartos are easy to deal with, the price is decent, and if they want to step it up a bit, they could always put a 901 on the batteries later. Step it up more? Many mods can be used with a 901 as well, so even if you wind up with a lot of different stuff, it's all pretty well compatible. It's the same reason I try to stick with a single caliber for my duty and daily carry equipment. You should always wind up with something that'll work for you.

Granted this means I don't have a whole lot of experience across several different models, it's just what works for me. I would be tempted to try a 510, but I want to try higher voltage first.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
The reason I asked this is that I have a webpage up, which currently covers mostly subjects for complete newbies, like "shopping problems" and "Is it cheaper than analogs" and the like. (If anybody reads German and is curious: www.dampfzeichen.de)

I spend a lot of time in the chat of the German forum, and have spoken to a few prospective vapers, and almost all not-yet-vapers want to know one thing: Which one to buy. Not options, not considerations, a clear "This one!". Mind you, I find that odd, but OK, if that gets more people to vaping, than that is what they get.
(And I confess: My first attempt at getting information about vaping myself was aborted, too, because it was too confusing and seemed to expensive at the time)

I may also add that I already wrote that recommendation; and predictably, I was trashed for it, because I did not recommend a mod. (German forums are very pro-mod.) I also spent some time considering what to recommend, and I am familiar with the relevant discussions. But nevertheless, I am very curious as to what many people would recommend (and not just the vocal ones), so it will be quite interesting to see how this poll develops.
(And should large numbers disagree with my recommendation, I'll also reconsider. With one predictable exception, which is irrelevant anyway, because you can't even get them in Germany.)

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
I voted for the eGO.

I would usually say the 510 but I'm at the point where I just get a "disposable" out of the Jeep and hand it to them to try. If they say "Hey, I can do this!", then I point them towards the eGO.

I cheat thought, I open the new 510's and fill the blank cart with blue foam and let them use whatever juice I have with me at the time if they want. I usually have 3-4 flavors with me. :D

Slighter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Chicago Illinois
Even with a stranger a few well chosen queries would help glean enough info to steer them to a suitable model. Take expense to begin with not everyone has or would just pony up $80 or more plus juice for a starter set and imo that's what the first is - a starter. Second for lack of a better term is level of difficulty. Grab your cartos and go or mod carts with filler or tips? Third, how serious do you think they really are? Those I've helped either wanted to buy immediately or were a bit more hesitant and chose to do more research. Those in the former no longer or rarely vape anymore and the hesitant have moved on to mods. I chose 510 since it is my atty of chioce but a few beers and a bit of chat can narrow it down to the best First model for any individual.
My 2¢

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have to go with cartomizer on a mod for a gnubie.
That is probably the best way to experience the least hassles.

That is not what I use most of the time though.
In fact, as an experienced vaper I only use cartomizers sparingly.

My 510 atomizer is my everyday choice.
And on a 3.7v mod (the Chuck) it vapes like a champ.

But you were asking what I would recommend to a newbie if I had to.
And that would be a cartomizer model, on a mod, where you get bang for the buck!

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Even with a stranger a few well chosen queries would help glean enough info to steer them to a suitable model.

I agree, but it's a bit tricky to do that when you write a web page and recommend something to its readers.

Regarding the cartomizers: Those are the one thing I would not recommend, for a number of fairly simple reasons:
  • KR8s are, IMO, dangerous plastic burners. (No news there ;)) I'll reconsider that opinion when they get a re-design.
  • One can't even get KR8s in Germany, and while I order myself from other countries, and do recommend that, too, it's not the best thing for a complete and utter newbie. Scares them.
  • Greencigs are available, and they don't burn plastic. Only they are expensive and only available in two flavours, one of which I have been told tastes like crap. I'll keep an eye on them, but so far, well, room for improvement. No empty cartos, or at least a dozen flavours in the usual strength, no recommendation. I'll get some myself soon, but I very much doubt they are newbie material yet. Pity, since the idea of cartos isn't bad.

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Because of the usual frustration factors with most any PV --

I would recommend the Janty eGo with a T-Tip from Super T Manufacturing. Yep, have 'em drip from day 1 with long battery life.

iagree.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread