Which RDTA to get? Griffin/Hastur/Cthulhu v2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Hey everyone, I am in the market for a new RDTA here soon and was curious about everyone's thoughts on these three tanks. I am coming from a crown tank and a billow v2 tank currently. The billow v2 is used as my 'flavor saver' and the crown is my general 'out and about' tank. I am looking for something that can have a good flavor to it, and versatility with the builds. I originally had a cthulhu v2 on order with Jeff at Smog....then that whole "thing" happened. Now there are other contenders out/coming out and wanted to see what everyones opinion of them was at this point. Griffin and Hastur seem fairly similar, with the cthulhu having the single/dual deck option being a possible selling point.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
I decided to get myself the Griffin RTA, given that it has received a lot of praises for its vapour and flavour production, and especially for it's big building deck. Regretfully I have to send it back as it came with a broken glass tube and one of the grub nuts is stuck for good. Sorry I can't help you any further.

Reactions: snipeslayer

RJazz117

Sep 1, 2015
Troy, MI USA
I got a Cthulu v2 for Christmas, and can definitely recommend it...though, I can't seem to build/wick the Kayfun-style deck right (I haven't tried very much, to be honest). The Velocity-style deck rocks. There is an airflow control ring on the deck, and I have found that not using it at all works best.

I also got a Mutation X RTA (not the Mutank) but that thing kept popping apart and spilling all of my e-liquid out. I retired it in less than a month.

One more you might consider is the OBS Crius RTA. I bought a clone from FastTech, and this thing rocks. It's got a fairly large build deck, great air flow, and a much better juice flow control system than the Cthulu v2. My only complaint with it is the glass drip tip...but you can use any 510 tip you like, so it's not a deal breaker.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
I got a Cthulu v2 for Christmas, and can definitely recommend it...though, I can't seem to build/wick the Kayfun-style deck right (I haven't tried very much, to be honest). The Velocity-style deck rocks. There is an airflow control ring on the deck, and I have found that not using it at all works best.

I also got a Mutation X RTA (not the Mutank) but that thing kept popping apart and spilling all of my e-liquid out. I retired it in less than a month.

One more you might consider is the OBS Crius RTA. I bought a clone from FastTech, and this thing rocks. It's got a fairly large build deck, great air flow, and a much better juice flow control system than the Cthulu v2. My only complaint with it is the glass drip tip...but you can use any 510 tip you like, so it's not a deal breaker.
Speaking of FT, has their sale started already? Or does it start 7th? Soz noob here

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Why not try an RDA ?
Because I have a few of those already, and am enjoying the tank setup while on the go a bit more....still use the RDA almost exclusively while at home. :D

I hard a Cthulhu v2 ordered from smog distro....needless to say that never came. That was the one that I wanted originally, but new gear comes out almost weekly it seems, so I was hoping to get something that was better, and if not - still get the Cthulhu v2. Biggest gripe I heard was finicky wicking and juice control ring issues. Also, many said the single coil option was a complete waste.

i really like the Griffin. I don't have the others (Hastur is preorder).

Also like the Bellus, HIGO and Aromamizer.

I got to hold one of those today, local B&M has one for $50. Only thing I didn't like about it was the juice control seemed quite loose, does that seem to be the case with yours or is it pretty legit once it is built and such?

+1 for Aromamizer RDTA

That was my initial thought - but heard quite a bit of problems with leaking and such and TBH I HATE the AFC setup on it, why the hell did they band it!?! From what I have read, the Hastur is supposed to be quite similar with the direct air control and such, that seems to be where my head is at in the Aromamizer vs Hastur comparison so far....just need to see if it is going to leak everywhere.

Mutank.. has the single/dual deck option. It's a beast!

I will have to look at that one further. I remember reading initial reviews about it when it firs came out, but didn't seem to be too impressed. How is it on flavor? I love my mutation x RDA, but it is by no means a 'flavor chaser' RDA. I like the tanks to have a bit more in the flavor category - that is what caused me to get a Crown over a TFV4.

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
My Griffin's juice control is on the stiff side actually.

That is interesting. Did it seem to tighten up after building, or was it never 'loose'. The one at the shop that I played with just spun all over the place and seemed hard to set. The kind of free spinning that would make a sane man crazy every time the RDTA was pulled out of a pocket.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
That is interesting. Did it seem to tighten up after building, or was it never 'loose'. The one at the shop that I played with just spun all over the place and seemed hard to set. The kind of free spinning that would make a sane man crazy every time the RDTA was pulled out of a pocket.

I don't remember, sorry. The first thing I did was pull it all apart for cleaning. Its had the same build in it since I got it maybe 5 weeks ago with just a couple rewicks.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Even though I have to return mine, the airflow control was just right, not too loose nor too tight.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
My favourite tank is the Aromamizer :) The AFC ring sucks and the no top fil is kinda inconvenient.
Still my favourite :) A griffin is just a Crius with a bigger deck and a smaller capacity, 3.5 mls :( you will be filling it every 2 hours :( A Belus is a good choice, so is the Cthulhu V2
A Crius is ok but it's just OK The Hastur looks pretty good :) big deck, large capacity, direct to the coil AFC, top fill. I preordered one but will have to wait till at least the middle of the month before it ships :(
Right now IMO. This is the order i put them in, But you can't go wrong with any one of these 3 :)
#1 Aromamizer
#2 Cthulhu V2
#3 Belus

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
My favourite tank is the Aromamizer :) The AFC ring sucks and the no top fil is kinda inconvenient.
Still my favourite :) A griffin is just a Crius with a bigger deck and a smaller capacity, 3.5 mls :( you will be filling it every 2 hours :( A Belus is a good choice, so is the Cthulhu V2
A Crius is ok but it's just OK The Hastur looks pretty good :) big deck, large capacity, direct to the coil AFC, top fill. I preordered one but will have to wait till at least the middle of the month before it ships :(
Right now IMO. This is the order i put them in, But you can't go wrong with any one of these 3 :)
#1 Aromamizer
#2 Cthulhu V2
#3 Belus

Trust me - I want the aromamizer, but I absolutely hate the AFC on it which just makes it a 'no go' for me. From what I have read the Hastur should be fairly close to it, but I will have to wait a few weeks for others to get it for us to all find out for sure I guess. The Cthulhu v2 is on point from everything I have read (80+pages on that one thread...jeeze) but I have not heard much about the Bellus that makes it seem like something that is on par with other setups. These are just tough choices currently with so many good options out there!

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Trust me - I want the aromamizer, but I absolutely hate the AFC on it which just makes it a 'no go' for me. From what I have read the Hastur should be fairly close to it, but I will have to wait a few weeks for others to get it for us to all find out for sure I guess. The Cthulhu v2 is on point from everything I have read (80+pages on that one thread...jeeze) but I have not heard much about the Bellus that makes it seem like something that is on par with other setups. These are just tough choices currently with so many good options out there!
I got my Aromamizer in black so I don't mind the AFC ring as it's black too. But I do agree, the manufacturers skimped out on that detail.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Yeah, no clue why the skimped there - makes no sense to me. I hope they make an updated version that does not have that as part of the setup...I can't the the only one who doesn't like it for that reason.
It's been out a fair while now, so I hope there'll a better one coming out soon.

The build deck on it is quite small, and I have been getting around it by doing vertical coil builds. They would have had to make something even smaller to accomodate a built-in AFC. IMO.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
Aromamizer i thought the same thing about the afc

if you can get past that they are great

i just use a normal vape band and a hole punch to get the hole size and draw i need then never need to faff about with it

and as far as leaks never had a leak

does vertical and horizontal coils easy wicking for both styles

no faffing with tucking wicks into holes etc just fan it and lay it down to the base just like any RDA

and for the price compared to some of the other its great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread