Which would you recommend for a first PV: Prodigy or Protege?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Assuming you had to choose from either the Prodigy or the Protege...

For someone looking to make the switch from analogs to vaping: which would you recommend for a first PV: Prodigy or Protege?

Please share your thoughts on which one you would recommend and why...

(I realize that no one -- except maybe CaSH -- has tried the Protege, so when making a choice, assume that only difference between the two is the voltage and the size.)

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
For someone looking to make the switch from analogs to vaping: which would you recommend for a first PV: Prodigy or Protege?

Neither.

Prodigy is more than you're going to be able to handle right out of the gate.

Protégé doesn't exist yet.

If I were you, I'd go get a 510 kit at InnoVapor.com or Widow's Beadwork. Ramp up on that and get used to vaping. Then, when the Protégé is ready, come back to Puresmoker and decide which model to "graduate" to. If you're ready to dump analogues, don't wait around for the Protégé. Get off them now. 510s are great devices. They're relatively cheap, and when you upgrade to a Puresmoker device you can still use your atomizers on it.

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
I was a very heavy smoker for twenty-six years. I still had pangs of need with both the vx2 and the 510. It took a Janty Stick to make it super easy. Based on that and what you are choosing between, I'd say portege or a prodigy with the upcoming 3.7 volt switch and 18xxx series battery option. Depends on the smoker. If this was a light smoker a 510 would be fine. I know from experience, the 510 hit ok but I used to get freaked when the battery would die in the car on the way somewhere.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I know from experience, the 510 hit ok but I used to get freaked when the battery would die in the car on the way somewhere.

Were you an extremely heavy smoker? Just wondering, because I was a moderate smoker and I never touched or wanted another analogue after buying my first PV. The 510 has worked perfectly for me for months and months.

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
Were you an extremely heavy smoker? Just wondering, because I was a moderate smoker and I never touched or wanted another analogue after buying my first PV. The 510 has worked perfectly for me for months and months.

2-3 packs of American Spirit a day. Four a day on the weekend with beer.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
i think one angle that is being missed on the question is the reliability of the parts.

yes, there's a learning curve for all the devices, and higher volts can be a bad combo for a newbie, but with the way the "regular" ecigs work, i think it can discourage people from using them when they all seem to "crap out."

again, "crap out" is subjective...because usually it seems to be user error and not the hardware.

i think the idiot proof design of the bigger mods like the Prodigy (as in, keeping juice out of the electric system) would make life easier on a new user.

but yes, not sure i'd suggest a 5v device or even a mod device to a new user, simply because a lot of folks want to mimic the real thing since there's a lot to say for the familiarity of holding a cig and all that.

I smoked two packs a day for 43 years. I started out with the 4081 and really liked it, but soon the charging of the batteries became so annoying I wasn't sure I'd continue. Then I purchased the 510 and the 901. The 510 had problems (both the manual and the auto battery) from the get-go. So I used the 901 and like it better, but still the battery charging problem. Then I discovered the passthrough. The answer for me when it comes to needing to always charge batteries but I didn't like going everywhere with a wire and a little box.

Next the Screwdriver. Wow, the answer to my problems. Stayed with that a month and then got the Prodigy. Sure wish I would have started with th Prodigy. All of the above had a learning curve. So if I'd started with the Prodigy I'd sure have a LOT more money in my pocket right now.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Flitzanu is right that any setup is going to include pitfalls. That's why I think it's probably better to go with a lower cost option and see if vaping is right for you before graduating to a custom device like a Prodigy or Protégé.

Now, having said that, it's important to note that we know practically nothing about the Protégé outside of the basic look and the fact that it's going to be a 3.7v device. We don't know what the price point is going to be, we don't know what kind of performance it's going to deliver etc. etc.. Personally, I'm confident that as a battery/adapter solution it's going to be superior to any of the Chinese product by virtue of the fact that you'll be able to use cheaper batts and practically any atomizer you want. But it's also true that Protégé looks to be a more "advanced" version that requires some experience. I'd want to know what atomizers I like to use, if I want an LED or not, if mimicking a cigarette is a priority and so forth. Until we have Protégés in our hands, it's all just speculation.

Therefore, I revert to my original take. Get a 510 or a 901 or even an 801 penstyle first. Ramp up on one of those and then move to a Puresmoker device once you know what you like and how you want to use it. I'm moving to a Prodigy from a 510 for a number of very specific reasons. I doubt I would have been particularly satisfied if I'd gotten a Prodigy as my first PV.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA

I must agree with most here and say: It may be best to start with something that resembles an analog before going with something that is designed for vapors that just want good vapor. It will make your transition from analogs a lot smoother.

On the other hand, the dang vapor on the prodigy is amazing, and may make up for the fact that it doesn't resemble smoking an analog as much as the traditional kits. So if you are open minded enough to be able to overcome the fact that this won't satisfy the motion of smoking as much as the other kits, then i would say it would be a perfect start. It definitely satisfies your craving for nic, and the vapor itself is still pretty close to analog smoke.

Hope this helps

Gibby

vaporize me

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Chester, PA USA
Here's my opinion as to the progression of being on e-cigs..take it for what its worth..it is only my opinion.

1) analog looking e-cig - Most people buy this to simulate an analog

2) usb passthrough @ 5v (without an inline battery) - Eventually you will turn to this option because of the frustration with batteries and the need for a more consistent vape. If you go with this option, you will eventually get a power pack.

3) mod setup - People buy these because they don't want to deal with the battery issues when they are out and about. If you decide to get a mod @ 5v., you will get the same consistency of a PT w/o the wire.

Unfortunately, the Protege is a mod that only delivers 3.7v..that being said..once you have vaped @ 5v. or own a Prodigy, it really is hard to go back to a device that delivers less.

I had quit the day I got my analog looking e-cig. I later got a PT with a power pack and loved the extra voltage. Now that I have my Prodigy...I am totally satisfied.

Atomizers are a necessary evil and can die at any given moment..batteries for a mod are a fraction of the cost of an analog looking e-cig and can last up to 10x's longer.

Do yourself a favor and skip steps one and two. Buy yourself a Prodigy and use the money saved to buy spare parts (attys, batts and juice)..you will not be disappointed.

Just my opinion.

Here's my opinion as to the progression of being on e-cigs..take it for what its worth..it is only my opinion.

1) analog looking e-cig - Most people buy this to simulate an analog

2) usb passthrough @ 5v (without an inline battery) - Eventually you will turn to this option because of the frustration with batteries and the need for a more consistent vape. If you go with this option, you will eventually get a power pack.

3) mod setup - People buy these because they don't want to deal with the battery issues when they are out and about. If you decide to get a mod @ 5v., you will get the same consistency of a PT w/o the wire.

Unfortunately, the Protege is a mod that only delivers 3.7v..that being said..once you have vaped @ 5v. or own a Prodigy, it really is hard to go back to a device that delivers less.

I had quit the day I got my analog looking e-cig. I later got a PT with a power pack and loved the extra voltage. Now that I have my Prodigy...I am totally satisfied.

Atomizers are a necessary evil and can die at any given moment..batteries for a mod are a fraction of the cost of an analog looking e-cig and can last up to 10x's longer.

Do yourself a favor and skip steps one and two. Buy yourself a Prodigy and use the money saved to buy spare parts (attys, batts and juice)..you will not be disappointed.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you completely and it's the same steps I'd taken and wished I'd had enough e-vaping savvy to have purchased the Prodigy from the get-go. The only thing I did different is I also purchased the Screwdriver and the AdapteR, both excellent vapes, not putting them down at all, but I just wish I'd have started out with the Prodigy!

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA

I don't think I'd recommend either one for someone just getting into vaping. My progression was 801 to Prodigy 801, but I had no idea that both batteries and atomizers would be so much trouble when I started. Now I think of them as something to "stay on top of," and the Prodigy has pretty well ruled out more worry about batteries.

However, vaping the Prodigy is a bit hotter and harsh than vaping a standard e-cig.

I regularly take breaks from my Prodigy and use standard batteries during the day. Lots of folks have written about the improvement in flavor using the Prodigy. Fewer folks have written about how less intense, subtle flavors actually taste better at lower voltages.

So I'm actually considering getting a Protégé for lower voltage vaping. But that's just me. No matter what I do, I have my standard 801 batts and attys to fall back on if the Prodigy fails.

And I probably wouldn't have my pile of 801 parts if I'd just started with a Prodigy or a Protégé. I also might not know what a normal vape was like.

Bless your heart, you certainly have gotten a variety of opinions, haven't you? You're probably more confused than ever.

I think (another opinion here) if you think about how most people have progressed, to begin vaping most have started with an 801, a 901 or a 510 and most have gone to a mod, i.e. the Prodigy and are quite satisfied. So if you want to start out simply, perhaps you should get an 801, 901 or 510 but not invest heavily in them. Then, after you've become accustomed to this, perhaps then you'd want to try a mod. Again, JMO.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Assuming you had to choose from either the Prodigy or the Protege...

(I realize that no one -- except maybe CaSH -- has tried the Protege, so when making a choice, assume that only difference between the two is the voltage and the size.)

NOTE: I edited my original post, so please read the revised version and post accordingly. The revised version is what I posted in another forum, and that generated the type of answers I was really seeking.

I apologize for the oversight. It was one of the pitfalls of posting in multiple forums in order to reach multiple groups.

One more thing: based on the feedback I'm seeing in the other forum, I am starting to change my opinion about the Protege (which -- up until this point -- I viewed as a waste of Puresmoker's time).

By the way, I'm asking this question in order to get a better idea of what to recommend to people that are interested in switching from analogs to vaping. I've intentionally limited the response to Prodigy and Protege, because I've found that quality issues can cause people to give up on vaping completely, and -- IMHO -- Puresmoker is currently the only vendor that seems to make PVs that are high enough quality to justify recommending.

i did not think the usb port on my computer was capable of pushing 5 volts, am i wrong?

Motorcity, when I used the usb via the computer my mouse became so slow it was almost unusable. I changed it's batteries, did some checking and couldn't figure it out. Was ready to get a new mouse and happened to remember I'd hooked my usb and was vaping off the computer. Unhooked and everything was back to normal. Purchased a wall outlet usb unit and plugged it in just above the computer (to the wall) and mouse and vaping was again working fine. I have a powerful Imac, but it didn't seem to matter.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
i did not think the usb port on my computer was capable of pushing 5 volts, am i wrong?

It depends, most will if you plug it directly into your computer. I wouldn't plug it into a USB hub, unless your USB Hub has an AC plug (this is actually the way to go). If you experience poor performance on your other USB devices, then get a USB hub with an AC plug. What it will do is supplement the power of the devices plugged into your USB ports in your HUB.

Clear anything up? Or did that confuse more. Edited for this...Sharon this would fix your problem as well. Most Macs will curse at you if you plug something in thats drawing too much power. PC's they will almost always just lower power to accommodate all devices plugged in, which is what you experienced... Mac's will usually cut the problem child off, and tell you that it needs too much power, heh, just my take.

USB hub with AC power supply would solve most issues with power consumption on your computers USB ports though, for sho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread