White residue after cleaning drip tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
Hello all. I recently cleaned my drip tips by boiling them and then rinsing them with 91% alcohol. Once dry there is a white residue on the inside and bottom edges of the drip tips. It almost seems like lime scale buildup like sometimes happens on the inside of a coffee pot. It does come off with a lot of work. It can be scraped off but on plastic drip tips that is a problem. Seems like I need something that will dissolve it but not mess up the plastic.

If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions on how to safely clean the drip tips please feel free to post.

Thanks

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Boiling colored delrin plastics leaches the color out of them. Delrin is natively white-ish before they add pigment to the process. The elbow grease required to get back to the color is you actually taking the leached layer off.

Boiling plastics can make them start to break down. You should clean delrin, plastic, and acrylic drip tips with alcohol.

Hope that helps! -- The only reason I know about this is because I did the same thing and then did a bunch of reading about delrin and acrylic ;)

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
That makes sense. But why is the white only on the inside and bottom edges where the most juice buildup would be? Does juice break it down as well? The outside of the tips is still perfect. I was thinking it was cooked juice or juice that had reacted with the alcohol or something like that. Do you think I can clean them or should I just get new ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread