Who can tell me, how to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I wouldn't say either is really nearer or less near to cigarettes. It's more a question of what device you're using and how much throat hit (that catch in your throat when you inhale smoke from a cigarette). Freebase nicotine (the name of the non-salt nicotine) has more throat hit than salt nicotine, but that also means that people can generally tolerate higher concentrations of salt nic than freebase nic.

First, to help us make useful recommendations, how much are you smoking and how long have you smoked?

Next, I'll give you a primer on the three types of vaping:

Pod mods:
  • Small devices
  • Vaporize a tiny amount of juice per vape, so are used with high concentration nicotine to get enough nic into that tiny bit of juice (20 - 50 mg/ml)
  • Usually used with salt nic

MTL (Mouth-to-lung)
  • Larger devices
  • Middle-of-the-road option - vaporize a moderate amount of juice per puff, so used with moderate concentration nic (maybe 12 - 20 mg/ml to start with)
  • Usually used with freebase nicotine, but, as always, those who prefer it can use salt nic
  • Lower airflow, so it feels more like sucking on a cigarette

DL (Direct lung)
  • Same or larger device than MTL
  • The heavy-hitter - vaporize a lot of juice per puff, so use lower concentration juices (3 - 6 mg/ml)
  • Usually used with freebase
  • Airier than a cigarette, but a lot of smokers have switched using this type of device anyway

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Welcome to the Forum!

There isn't anything that you can vape that is exactly the same as burning tobacco and that you have to accept, learn to live with and move on from.

You know to really quit smoking the decision is made in the head, not just the body and its cravings. Get your mind right and you win.

A 50+ years ex smoker who hasn't lit up for six years this coming 17th of October btw saying this!

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hello and welcome to ECF kelinxi :)

For me, dropping that morning cig was the most difficult. What helped was dripping higher flavorless nic in the morning. Once I figured that out I was fine.

You'll get there. Just be patient and don't get down on yourself if you have a smoke here and there. Many folks were dual users and some still are.

Good luck. And, you can do this! :thumbs:

I want to quit smoking, but hard for me.
I want to try nicotine liquid or nicotine salz, which is near to the real smoking

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
For me, dropping that morning cig was the most difficult. What helped was dripping higher flavorless nic in the morning. Once I figured that out I was fine.
I agree... mornings are the hardest (and when you might need stronger nicotine strength) It helps to have two devices (or two tanks/pods) so you can choose when to vape stronger/weaker juice. Or just vape more when needed.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Hello and welcome to ECF kelinxi :)

You'll get there. Just be patient and don't get down on yourself if you have a smoke here and there. Many folks were dual users and some still are.

Good luck. And, you can do this! :thumbs:
    As SMT mentioned, I feel like it's the habitual triggers and routines that are the hardest to break. When you do this [insert some activity], it automatically triggers an "ah yes, time to light up a smoke" moment. Going to parties and driving for example were the worst for me. Or needing an excuse to take a break. Break those triggers into pieces and you're Scott free. Prove to yourself that you have control over the substance. Abstain. Good luck, you got this!

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Welcome to ECF, kelinxi.

I think we all have to experiment to find what's right. Dual use, smoking while learning to vape, experimenting with liquids and equipment, has worked for many of us, myself included. I don't remember exactly how long it took. I seem to recall my friends introduced me to vaping in the fall of 2012, September or October. I had my last cigarette on the morning after Thanksgiving 2012, so it didn't take very long, but for some it does take longer.

When you've had your last cigarette and you're ready to go with vaping 100 percent, you'll know it. In the mean time, though I can't explain it in real scientific terms, the body experiences nicotine satisfaction differently from cigarettes than from vaping, but eventually your body will begin to trust the nic fix you get from vaping. That's when you'll begin to think about quitting cigarettes forever.

I believe you can do it, and I wish you the best of luck.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I agree... mornings are the hardest (and when you might need stronger nicotine strength) It helps to have two devices (or two tanks/pods) so you can choose when to vape stronger/weaker juice. Or just vape more when needed.
    You know, I had this weird little fixation that helped me. I vaped cinnamon liquid with morning coffee, Velvet Vapors, best cinnamon I know of. I used it only as a morning vape treat, and didn't use it any other time of the day. Straight out of the shower with that first cup of coffee, it was heaven. I don't do that any more. I guess we drop the crutches when we're ready.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    I can tell you what I told my friends who wanted to quit smoking with vaping. Nothing in vaping taste close to smoking and believe it or not you don't really want that, smoking is also a physical action as well as mental. I was able to quit smoking after 30+ years day one with vaping by having a good mindset of wanting to quit smoking and treating vaping like I did smoking. I vaped only at all my normal smoking times, I even stopped by my regular gas station on my way to work for a coffee and pack of gum and went out on "vape" breaks at work. Pick a flavor you like and a set up that feels comfortable to you to use and higher mg nic to start. Try to keep vaping simple for yourself, over thinking and fussy gear will only make it tougher on you to be successful, (hopefully) your local vape shop can be a good resource to try things out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread