Who first invented/introduced the cartomiser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Well...
steve_hm.jpg

How' that nic level workin' out fer ya?

Just consider this a bump to da top...

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
I think we all know who Hon Lik is !

I asked about cartomisers !!

SORRY!!!!! Was just trying to provide some info that might get you in the right ballpark. I KNOW you were asking about Cartomizers. As Iffy suggested up the nic and hopefully someone else will find and answer for you.

Seems reasonable to give some credit here - it came close. The key difference i guess was to add the visible vapor. Actually making the product successful is also a big step. To be fair to the 1963 patent, the batteries of those days would no way have been up to job, not without being huge anyway.

The Gilbert design was not unlike the BT inhaler product (forget its name) that was around for while some years ago. Heat the tobacco to release it's vapors; though Gilbert does talk about additional chemicals (solvents?) and 'moist air'.

edit: well, not that similar actually, the 'Premier' (?) heated tobacco while Gilberts designed used a solution of extract or plain nicotine.

The e-cig we know today was invented in 2004. Though even that used a different mechanism (a piezo-electric tranducer to vibrate liquid into a mist, like cold steam humidifiers) to the simple heater coil plus wicking that actually achieved success. There were a few important players in China who took the interest (mainly from the US) and made effective and affordable models. So one might also ask who created the first heater coil type atomiser? (Maybe it was Ruyan; maybe another company).

+++++++++++++

"Gilbert design AN electronic cigarette, not THE electronic cigarette.

While Herbert Gilbert’s and Hon Lik’s devices share the same name, look similar on the outside and both use a battery, they actually function very differently and produce different results. Gilbert’s device is designed to heat air, which is then sucked through a flavored filter and produces no visible vapor. Lik’s design heats a liquid until it becomes a visible, inhaled vapor – which is how all of our e-cigarettes function today. Therefore, Lik is considered by most to be the inventor of the modern e-cigarette.

Gilbert was definitely a man ahead of his time and on the right track, but he is not the inventor of modern e-cigarettes anymore than Sony is considered the inventor of the iPod just because they came up with the idea of a compact personal music player first. While both inventions are small, rectangular, deliver music through a headset and run on batteries, the Walkman and the iPod function very differently – just as Gilbert’s design functioned very differently from Lik’s – so no one considers Sony the inventor of the iPod.

Hon Lik deserves the credit he gets for being the inventor of the e-cigarette design we use today."

-- a comment on this page: http://www.e-cig.org/2009/11/07/new-invention-of-1963-the-smokeless-non-tobacco-cigarette/

Last edited:
I suspect the problems with the piezo approach - though an excellent idea - is that unlike with plain water, e-liquids vary in density and so effective frequency, and the membrance could easily clog up detrimentally, whereas a heat source can get coated in gunk but still work for longer.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Dude, you
cry-baby-smiley.gif
when you don’t get an answer you want and then type/copy/paste 460 words that don't relate to your question
twitch.gif

I pasted a quote that said better than I had the distinction between Hon Lik's and Gilbert's designs. Not irrelevant at all; I was responding to an earlier post.

In contrast, nothing you posted had any relevance whatsoever; what was the point of those silly remarks ?

Carts will go the way of vinyl and magnetic tape as recording media.

They are far too fiddly, small capacity and inconsistent. Plus, most importantly, possess a design flaw - the contents are clearly open and prone to leakage. Hence cartomisers represent a major improvement milestone in the development of e-cigs/PVs.

Since introduction, cartos have undergone much improvement by lots of tweaking of materials, distances, layout, etc.

+++

Raidy has suggested he has a further and maybe more radical improvement at hand (maybe based on induction?). We shall see ...

It would certainly be good to get any solder joints out of contact with the liquid (not sure if that is the case in all present cartomisers) as there was an indication that a (very) small amount of tin was finding its way into vapor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread