• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Who vapes to pass their PT test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyKozo

Apr 5, 2011
Cleveland Ohio
I'm an Ohio Army National Guardsman, and I was having trouble passing the run portion of my PT test. I had considered quitting smoking prior to that, but never had a desire to until I started failing my monthly PT test (you take a monthly diagnostic in the guard after you fail a record). Once I quit and switched to vaping (and not changing my workout routine), I put up my best run time since basic. (I swear FT. Knox's armor PT course is a few hundred meters short)

Which brings me to this question: For how many of you was the PT test a primary influence in your choice to quit smoking and begin vaping? How effective were the results?

Feel free to chime in if you had other military-related influences (ie smoking ban on subs)

Alžběta Madragana

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2011
Cresson, Texas
Although I got out of the RA in 1998 (Gulf War related issues) - I smoked most of my time in the Army. Yeah, it sucked on my run on the APFT - but I managed to pass my run. Being an old fart (I was older than most of my superiors!) helped too. Vaping was unheard of when I was in, and it was in 1993 that the Commissary first began adding ALL of the Federal Ciggie Taxes on smokes - I used to buy the generic cartons for $2,50 a pop. Name brands were $5,- in those days. When I got out, cartons were like $20,- each and going up. Chain of command reasoning for the Taxes being added were that they wanted all servicemembers to not smoke by 2000.
Well, if there were vaping when I was in - I surely would have done it!
Finally, to each person in the US Military now - "Thank You!!" Thank you for serving our country. May God bless all of you who are serving now, and those who served.
SGT Harold T, USA, RET

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Didn't quit due to pt test, actually cause I now have a 4.5 month old daughter is the main reason. Never had a prob getting at least 90 in each event, but I'm looking forward to not having that smokers hack after 5+mile runs! Was smoker since my first unit field exercise in 97, we had a lot of down time due to waiting on the DATs and the "cool" were smoking , went and asked for one when I was really bored and it all went downhill from there.

Iluvthearmy

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
The Desert
I just posted my best run in 3 years this morning. Quit smoking and started vaping dec 2010 and it was a slow climb to a better run time, but I didn't have to change my PT regiment at all. I did however gain 14 pounds when I quit smoking so watch out for those on the fence during the weigh in (thank god for the tape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread