Rustica (20 seeds)
Virginia Gold (20 seeds)
Yellow Orinoco (20 seeds)

Turkish:

Bafra (10 seeds)
Balikesir (10 seeds)
Black Sea Samsun (10 seeds)
Izmir-Osbas (10 seeds)

That should leave me with enough, even if I end up with only 1/2 the number of plants as compared to the seeds I am starting. Actually, that will leave me with more than enough.

I've got all of the above started, except for the Bafra and Black Sea Samsun. I've got to run go get more dirt. I am not using the Jiffy greenhouses this year. Instead, I am using empty two liter soda bottles as greenhousees for germination, but will slice the tops off as soon as I see sprouts, to prevent damp off/dead seedlings at that point.

Is anyone else here growing this year? If so, what varieties?

sunset

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Hi WerkIT, No, I won't be growning, but I am following of interest those of you who are and see how it works out for you all first.:) I have been following you over at snuson.com.

Yes, I'm upset with the Pact Act and right now think I have a year's supply of Swedish snus in the freezer.

Honestly, I think if I had more of a green thumb I might consider it, since I know down the line I don't want to end up with any Camel snus:D

So interesting thread - I'll be lurking, good luck!

AllCoExPat

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
Elkton, MD
Wish I could give it a try, WerkIt... But my 1/5 of an acre isn't much good for anything past a few potted tomato plants on the patio and a being a good place for the dogs to dig. I do have some space out front... I'm sure my HOA would *love* it! Best of luck and keep us updated on how it goes for you. If the current political environment keeps up, I may have to lease some garden space from a friend of mine who lives out in the country.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
But my 1/5 of an acre isn't much good for anything past a few potted tomato plants on the patio and a being a good place for the dogs to dig.

Check into lasagna gardening. It's easy and doesn't require digging or double digging a bed. It's really composting in place.

If the current political environment keeps up, I may have to lease some garden space from a friend of mine who lives out in the country.

Some friends of mine have offered some space for me to use on their land. I will probably put the majority of the plants there, but leave a few here that I need to flower and make seed.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
If I were growing anything(besides vegies)It would be something we are not allowed to discuss here at ECF!!

Would that be salvia divinorum, or perhaps Angel's Trumpets? :confused:

Good luck with your garden WerkIt!!
:)The Wiz!

Thanks. I would have done better last year except for the following mistakes:

1. Don't leave 80 seedlings out overnight in a jiffy greenhouse when you have raccoons and their babies coming up out of the woods every night to feast on your deck.

2. When transplanting your plants into the ground, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, water them with fish emulsion. Animals find fish emulsion to be a tasty treat.

It's more work this year anyway, because I am also starting hundreds of seeds for a relative's perennial gardens, in addition to the tobacco. My only tip for that is, there are several plants (although I wouldn't try this with tobacco) that sprout quite easily if placed in wet paper towels, then wrapped in aluminum foil, then placed on the satellite receiver for a couple of days. Certain species really like the warmth and will sprout quite happily on a DirectTV box using this method. I got 100% germination with the luna red hibiscus.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
WerkIt, this is a good place for growers to post.....good idea :). I know Vaporer's started some, can't remember which one's he said, though. I'll be sure to direct him here next time he pops up, I know he'll enjoy it. I got some Virginia Gold, but after receiving 'em I figured I should have my ducks more in a row. I've got too many irons in the fire this summer and Momma wouldn't be too keen on taking care of 'baccy plants....well, I haven't asked, I'm just assuming :rolleyes:. Anyway, I wanna read up on curing, storage and all before I jump in. Growing wouldn't be a problem, but after the harvest is my obstacle. I'll get my many projects squared away and sit out this year, but next year it'll happen. I'm really glad you started this thread :).

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I got some Virginia Gold, but after receiving 'em I figured I should have my ducks more in a row.

I have always LOVED Virginia, especially blended with Turkish, or at least, that was a favorite of mine when I still smoked. Virginia is a good grower and the leaves get HUGE! Here's my size 12 shoe on last year's Virginia leaf:

Anyway, I wanna read up on curing, storage and all before I jump in.

If you plan on smoking it, then you need to build a curing chamber as found on the coffinails website. If you wish to make snus, which is why I grow it, then you only need to air-cure, or air dry the leaf for 90 days. What I did last year was strip the leaves, then pierced them with hooks made of unbent paperclips, then hung them on coat hangers. As a result, the Virginia Gold is a very nice shade of brown presently.

Growing wouldn't be a problem, but after the harvest is my obstacle.

If you start the seeds early enough in the season (depending on where you live - those in the north probably couldn't start them early enough to do this), you can hang the leaves, or even the entire plant, to dry outdoors, under a shed or something similar. The heat of the summer is supposed to be helpful here. Once dried out, to where barely touching it causes the leaf to crumble, you can grind it to dust, if you are going to make snus, then store it in plastic containers with lids.

I'm really glad you started this thread :).

Aww hell, I do this every year, on several forums. The approach of spring excites me anyway because I DETEST winter. But growing tobacco is a blast, I have to say.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
WerkIT, OK, I can't lurk any longer - 3 hours or so was enough for me.:D

Since you've already made snus (I didn't realize that)..how it it turn out/taste. Anything to compare the flavor to?

I haven't made snus as of yet. I will make it in mid-May. I knew it had to air cure for 90 days, although I am past that point presently. Right now, the leaves would crumble to dust if I touched them. I need to grind the stuff down and get them off of the coat hanger

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Oh, you're so helpful.....yes, snus is my goal :D. I'm really pretty excited about makin' my own, but I'm in the final stages of a (2 year) large addition to my home and it eats all my time when not at work. I might plant a few any, I should get my feet wet before I plant my bumper crop, huh. And thanks for the info. Details are golden to me :).

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Would that be salvia divinorum, or perhaps Angel's Trumpets? :confused:

Thanks. I would have done better last year except for the following mistakes:

1. Don't leave 80 seedlings out overnight in a jiffy greenhouse when you have raccoons and their babies coming up out of the woods every night to feast on your deck.

2. When transplanting your plants into the ground, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, water them with fish emulsion. Animals find fish emulsion to be a tasty treat.

It's more work this year anyway, because I am also starting hundreds of seeds for a relative's perennial gardens, in addition to the tobacco. My only tip for that is, there are several plants (although I wouldn't try this with tobacco) that sprout quite easily if placed in wet paper towels, then wrapped in aluminum foil, then placed on the satellite receiver for a couple of days. Certain species really like the warmth and will sprout quite happily on a DirectTV box using this method. I got 100% germination with the luna red hibiscus.
Er....Something like that!

:DThe Wiz!

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Hey WerkIt, Great thread. I remember when you posted that leaf before.
How long before the last frost do you start your seeds?
I started a bunch a couple years ago but had to leave town and lost them. Then I was going to grow them as more of a statement. Times have changed. I think I have some left, how long do the seeds last? Do you think they will still be good?

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Hey WerkIt, Great thread. I remember when you posted that leaf before.
I started a bunch a couple years ago but had to leave town and lost them. Then I was going to grow them as more of a statement. Times have changed. I think I have some left, how long do the seeds last? Do you think they will still be good?

The fella I got my seeds from sent planting instructions and said he'd had some 4 years old he planted and most grew.....that's all I can tell ya :).

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009

My paranoia plays into that decision, which means I pay no mind to last frost date. I am in NC, not far from Charlotte. However, it is possible to get frost, or not quite frost, say down to 40 degrees, in April and even early May. So I do not plant ANYTHING outdoors before 5/15, just to be on the safe side.

Last year, I got a late start and didn't start seed until 4/15. This year, I started seed 3/15 of there about. I probably need to start them as early as 3/1, or maybe even earlier.

I started a bunch a couple years ago but had to leave town and lost them.

Start the seeds in a greenhouse, whether that be a Jiffy greenhouse or something as simple as a plastic two liter soda bottle. As soon as you see green sprouts, remove the top of the greenhouse. If the sprouts are in a greenhouse for too long, you risk seedling death due to damp off from too high humidity.

Times have changed. I think I have some left, how long do the seeds last? Do you think they will still be good?

All of the seed I have are from last year. Supposedly, the seed will still be good, but germination rates decrease as time goes on. I am planting anyway. I have herb seed, moonflower seed and sunflower seed that I bought years ago, which I still plant, which still germinate and which still grow. I see no reason why tobacco seed would be any different.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Here's the dried leaves from last year. Virginia is on the left and Turkish is on the right:

fkw682.jpg

Here are the Virginia leaves, in a 16 oz tub, after being stripped from the stems and hand crushed:

11r6v4i.jpg

Here's the same, in an 8 oz tub, after being run through a blender on the 'chop' setting:

1g5xg.jpg

The one Virginia plant provided 1.5 ounces of ground tobacco.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Here's the dried leaves from last year. Virginia is on the left and Turkish is on the right:

fkw682.jpg

Here are the Virginia leaves, in a 16 oz tub, after being stripped from the stems and hand crushed:

11r6v4i.jpg

Here's the same, in an 8 oz tub, after being run through a blender on the 'chop' setting:

1g5xg.jpg

The one Virginia plant provided 1.5 ounces of ground tobacco.
Nice pics my friend!! Starting to wonder how convenient(and difficult)it would be to make a Menthol snuff with that?(menthol crystals added to the mix?)

:)The Wiz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread