Who's idea was it to add a cannabis vaping section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
My pop served in the Navy during the Korean conflict. Among his duties was to tie the ship to the dock sometimes. Well that sounds pretty easy, right? Just drape a big ole rope knot over a big ole post sticking out of a dock. Sure thing. Trouble was often times the big ole knot was missing.

One afternoon I arrived home for supper all goofy like and my dad says "you smell like you've been smoking the rope again". I was reeking of pot but had no clue what that term meant.

As I found out later, while out at sea bored sailors would "catch a buzz" off the hemp ropes draping over the sides of the ship and got it by stealing the knots. For a long time the US government bought marijuana plants from various countries to make ropes out of. That is why "hemp" is legal here in the US. It was used to make clothing, hats, purse type carriers and other goods in some countries who did not have access to cotton and wool like we do.

In some countries marijuana is a common weed that just happens to grow as big as a tree. It became a cash crop for the hemp for centuries. American culture picked up on smoking the flowers and leaves for a mood adjusting experience. It was known as "the jazz musicians cheap high" for a while as a counter culture of the time got all relaxed before a concert. As American cultures became less and less burdened by things like war and starvation the youth became more and more involved in illicit activities like drag racing down city streets, playing that rock and roll music at ear splitting levels and using mind altering substances that were banned during Americas first drug war around 1900 to the 1920's that eventually also led to prohibition of alcoholic beverages.

And that folks……is the rest of the story.

The anals of history often cover over how things led up to current situations. USSR leader Nikita Cruzchev once said "we will destroy America without firing a single shot". How? By dividing the population through propaganda and flooding their cities with illegal drugs.

With that said, should THC products be discussed here at ECF? That's not for me to decide anymore than a bunch of other topics I don't necessarily like to get involved in. Should it have its own child forum? Me personally, I don't think so. To me it belongs with other miscelanious, non tobacco cessation topics here in that child forum. Management chose to do otherwise, so I just ignore it along with a slew of other topics.

I spoke my piece at first. My view is based on being sober for twenty years after becoming addicted to the super weed in the 90's. Nearly everybody I partied with in high school is still addicted to this day. Many who quit the nicotine habit too. So my view was based on my experience but I won't argue with those who think it's ok to use it. Like many things in life I educate folks around me as opportunity allows, then live and let live.

THC products are here to stay, much like coffe and snack foods, which used in moderation they all have benefits. A wise man once said "too much honey causes a sour stomach". Another said "everything is permissable but not necessarily beneficial.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
@AttyPops lol opinions, todays truth, no one can be wrong because there is a conspiracy. Their point was that cannabis is bad because it is illegal, can't say that's a very educated or appropriate opinion, seems to me that this person could do well with an investigation into the obvious, but they prefer to label and push the established dogma of your federal government. The government here on ECF that is condemned by its attack on vaping. But everything else that they do must be right on the button... lol opinions. Am I not entitled to mine.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
STILL illicit where you live if you live in the United States.

It's against federal law.

You say that you don't view it as a drug in your mind. But that doesn't change the fact that it is.

There is no such thing as your truth. Only THE truth.

And it is still considered a drug by scientists, doctors, psychologists and other medical professionals.

I understand that the restriction had to be lifted in order for people to talk about this, but their is one hell of a leap from simply doing that to hopping into bed with someone who's already blacked both of your eyes and stolen your wallet.
This is an International forum and if I remember right not based in the US. It is not illegal everywhere.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
What was the rationale, if any, behind this decision and the reversal of a decade long policy?

I see you just came back after a break. ECF admin explained why they decided to do it, following long extensive deliberations. You can find that if you're interested.

This question was discussed at great length at the time. Some have strong opinions for and against. A few have very strong opinions. Sometimes harsh language and insults got thrown around. A lot don't think it's a big deal either way. Some wish it hadn't happened but accept that it was necessary. It's possible some had such strong negative feelings about it that they stopped coming here. Etc.

IMO the folks who put in the time and effort to provide this forum for us have the right to make this kind of decision.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Associating with Tax Collectors....and SINNERS! :ohmy:
Anyway, religion aside, let's see:

The OP is correct, that THC is a drug. Yeah, loosely, everything we consume is "a drug" in that it has an effect. But there's more accurate stricter definitions. Nicotine is a drug too.

I get that in many people's minds, green-stuff is a completely different category of "stuff". Although alcohol has probably done vastly more harm to society, and we all know how prohibiting THAT went, many of us occasionally imbibe. So we don't "ban" it. There's talk here about it.

As long as they keep it in a separate sub-forum, I suppose I don't care. To each their own.

The OP has a point in that there's a sociological impact to vaping from CBD/THC users being associated with it. I suppose there's a sociological impact to zig-zags too. Even if you roll your own tobacco.

I'm an individual. But I exist in a context, in a society. As we say, YMMV, and I suppose opinions vary too. But I certainly don't consider anyone to be "weak minded" simply because they have an opinion. We all have them. I don't lose my individuality except maybe when my options are RESTRICTED. Often by the excessively negative puritanicals or absolutists. Because then I have less options to be unique.

There's 100 ways to deal with this CBD/THC thing, we've tried one or two so far...in society and on this forum. But the "thing" won't be going anywhere.

I welcome opinions and constructive discussions about almost any topic.

I put "the green stuff" in the same category I put alcohol - also a poison I don't put in my body, with the exception of perhaps one glass of wine or foofoo drink per year (if that)

I understand people do partake in "the green stuff" and don't believe in telling others how to live their lives..

HOWEVER, I don't want a life saving item like vaping for smoking cessation to be associated with recreational (and at this point deadly) drugs like the green stuff in oil form. (you will, I'm sure disagree with me on this point, but its important TO ME, to have a line drawn in the sand)

Vaping for smoking cessation gave me a new lease on life and it caused me to leave the addiction of smoking behind me... a place I'd like it to stay...

I tried to quit smoking when I was 27, and multi annually every year after only to find I was an addict with no way out from under it..

for me, vaping is life saving, and outlawing it would be similar to outlawing asthma medication - it haas that much benefit.

I understand that to many and for many the green stuff has benefit too, but its a completely different category of drug, nicotine will never get me high, and I am desirous of dispelling the ignorance of the American public concerning vaping for smoking cessation, not helping the media to confuse and conflate the two different drugs (i.e. pot verses nicotine for smoking cessation)

And when half the threads on this forum are discussing the funny stuff, all we are doing is playing into the hands of our enemies..

And THAT bothers me, greatly.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Being condescending doesn't help your argument. At no point did I say it was legal in all 50 states, I said that I didn't know about individual States, but that Hemp and Hemp based products were made legal at the federal level. That article confirmed exactly that. Yes it did point out some areas that changed local laws, but I never said they didn't.

If that is the way you feel, then I'm sorry. We hate to see members leave. Sadly this is the way things are going. I don't even use these products, but I do understand the decision. We kept nicotine vaping from being associated with vaping CBD and/or THC for as long as we could but now the media, the CDC, the FDA, and politicians have done it publicly, forcibly, and against our wishes. It no longer matters if we talk about it here or not the connection has been made. The world isn't going to come here to check and see what we think. In the end you have to do what you think is right for you. You can still post to ECF and never even see those threads though. They do not show up in the "Latest Replies" box, they are tucked away in their own isolated sub forum.

As for me, I am kind of appreciative of them. I am just 3 years younger than you but I already have arthritis that gets pretty bad in the winter. So far it is somewhat manageable with occasional NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) but it's getting worse every year and I am worried about what these NSAIDs are doing to my Kidneys and Liver. Sadly I already know in the next few years I will need some sort of full time solution just to keep my mobility and use of my hands. Those forums are allowing me to explore LEGAL CBD as a potential option that could be less harmful than a hand full of daily pills. Isn't harm reduction what this site is all about?

No, that's only part of it.

The original ecig created by Hon Lik was created for the express purpose of offering a safer alternative to cigarettes.

His father died of lung cancer.

He wasn't trying to get high.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Just so you know. Vaping is not safe and may become illegal. Will you then become a drug addict....

Just so you know, you don't know what you're talking about. Not in the slightest.

I've been vaping for 10 years now and know quite a few people who have been vaping just as long.

Zero issues as a result of it and in far better health than when I was smoking. My doctor even encourages it.

Your opinion and statement on this subject shows that you don't even belong here.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I understand that the restriction had to be lifted in order for people to talk about this, but their is one hell of a leap from simply doing that to hopping into bed with someone who's already blacked both of your eyes and stolen your wallet.
If you decide it's necessary to allow people to talk about it, and you don't want the discussion all over the forum, then you have to give them a specific place to talk about it. People start threads about Cannabis in General Vaping Discussion, and boom, they get moved to the Cannabis section.

BTW, this thread is in the wrong place too. IMO, it belongs in Site Feedback & Help, not in General Vaping discussion.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
As long as you vape u wont get away from it do u know how many times a person assumed I was getting high off normal vape juice and I had to explain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like you need to be more careful who you associate with.

I don't hang out with potheads in real life, friends and family included.

You cannot trust them or their motivations.

Eveeything they do in life influenced by weed, from who they date, to where they go on vacation and all points in between.

So why would I want to interact with them here?

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Who's idea was it to add a cannabis vaping section?

I think this question is pretty easy to figure out ....

Without the approval of the owner of ECF, there certainly would not be any cannabis vaping section, nor would there be any mention of cannabis on any of the ECF forums allowed.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
HOWEVER, I don't want a life saving item like vaping for smoking cessation to be associated with recreational (and at this point deadly) drugs like the green stuff in oil form. (you will, I'm sure disagree with me on this point, but its important TO ME, to have a line drawn in the sand)

I don't actually disagree with your concept here. There is an existential difference in intent/use for smoking cessation vs THC consumption.

That said, what you're actually complaining about is people's inability to differentiate. So you want, apparently, to keep things separated, because of THEM. Or because of the human trait of guilt-by-association. Maybe you think it makes ECF a "seedy underside" type of forum.

I understand it, but I think it's better to educate the masses (and politicians) on the differences. Basically, THEY are equating them, and thus their error is the problem. USAGE is a real-world thing going on. And it's legal at the state-level here in many states, since the fed has stated they aren't enforcing their "ban".

So it's a reality. On signage. At shops.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I don't actually disagree with your concept here. There is an existential difference in intent/use for smoking cessation vs THC consumption.

That said, what you're actually complaining about is people's inability to differentiate. So you want, apparently, to keep things separated, because of THEM. Or because of the human trait of guilt-by-association. Maybe you think it makes ECF a "seedy underside" type of forum.

I understand it, but I think it's better to educate the masses (and politicians) on the differences. Basically, THEY are equating them, and thus their error is the problem. USAGE is a real-world thing going on. And it's legal at the state-level here in many states, since the fed has stated they aren't enforcing their "ban".

So it's a reality. On signage. At shops.

It's a reality but it's not every shop yet (and I do applaud the ones selling only for smoking cessation)

But yes, your known by the company you keep.. that saying has been true since I was a kid, and it holds true to this day..

The company we keep can lend to perception just as much as our words.. And I think now, more than ever before, making sure our actions aren't lending to a negative public perception is of the utmost importance..

We all have different views on that, most people think well they think it anyway so who cares? But to me it's not the right attitude to have.. as its only fuel for the fire that's already raging..

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't hang out with potheads in real life, friends and family included.

You cannot trust them or their motivations.

Eveeything they do in life influenced by weed, from who they date, to where they go on vacation and all points in between.
I don't hang out with drinkers in real life.

You can't trust them or their motivations.

Everything they do influenced by alcohol, from who they date, to where they go on vacation and all points in between.

Actually, that's not true. I'm not that judgmental. In fact, I'm married to a drinker and have been for over 30 years. She's always been more eager after a glass of wine or two, if you get my drift. :w00t:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
As I said earlier, if this change is permanent then I will no longer be a member here
This place didn't fall apart from your lack of contribution once, I highly doubt it will from you leaving this time.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Hmmmm guess I’m out then I don’t smoke so...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet you were just fine with posting in this thread while it was in General Vaping Discussion - where it didn't belong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread