Whrich is a better battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niteowl71

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2014
Alexandria, Lousiana
Being new to vaping I'm still try to learn more about the hardware at the moment I have a $20 ego style e CIG made by PIKE and while I don't have any issues with it cause it does the job I'm in the market to buy a new fancier one with variable volt adjust.There's so many out there to choose from I'd like to find out the difrence between ego style batteries and the kind of mods that use regular looking batteries is one better than the other? Which is best?

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's all a matter of personal preference, but I like 18650 batteries in my mods. I can get 8 or 10 hours of vaping from one 18650 and can carry a couple of backup charged 18650's in a plastic battery case for extended time away from home. Most 18650 battery chargers have 12vdc cables to allow car charging.

Compare the amp ratings of eGo style mods vs 18650 mods and you will find that 18650 mods go to 3.5a and 4a loads where eGo style mods top out at 2.5a.

There's always the box mod style MVP, VTR, or Eleaf iStick that can charge from the USB ports at home or in the car. My 3 favorite mods are my Provari V2, my Eleaf iStick, and my Sigelei ZMAX V3. All are 18650 devices. The iStick battery is soldered in and isn't removable without destroying the device and the iStick must be replaced when the built in 18650 battery no longer holds a charge.

Last edited:
Elef Istick battery hands down! Charges full in like maybe an hour and a half, last all freakin' day I vape crazy often! Has a battery meter built in to let you know your battery level. This is my first and found very handy. Small but built like a tank. I drop mine all the time with no issues. My first rig I feel I can put in my pocket and work all day and know it will be OK when I'm ready. Same charger (Mini USB) as most phones. I think you'll be cool with the price too!

Niteowl71

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2014
Alexandria, Lousiana
Elef Istick battery hands down! Charges full in like maybe an hour and a half, last all freakin' day I vape crazy often! Has a battery meter built in to let you know your battery level. This is my first and found very handy. Small but built like a tank. I drop mine all the time with no issues. My first rig I feel I can put in my pocket and work all day and know it will be OK when I'm ready. Same charger (Mini USB) as most phones. I think you'll be cool with the price too!

I'll check some out I did like the square box look its different what's the battery life of a istick I'm a heavy vaperer and a clumsy one at that so being built like a tank will help

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Eleaf iStick is a nice mod, but it does have one flaw that I wish was fixed. It has no buck converter, only a boost converter. That means you can set it below battery voltage, but until the battery gets down below the voltage you have set, it will give you output equal to the current battery voltage.

In other words, when the battery is fully charged to 4.2v, you get 4.2v even if you set it to 3.7v. When the battery gets down to 3.7v and below, it will maintain 3.7v until the battery dies if that's where it is set.

I like 2 ohm coils on my Kayfun and 4.2v is a little hot unless I frequently cover an air hole and prime the wick. Once it gets down to a lower battery voltage the vape is good without a highly primed wick.

The workaround is to never fully charge it. Just plug it into USB and boost it to half or two thirds full every once in a while and it's a nice vape. Either that or use 3 ohm coils.

Last edited:

Niteowl71

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2014
Alexandria, Lousiana
The Eleaf iStick is a nice mod, but it does have one flaw that I wish was fixed. It has no buck converter, only a boost converter. That means you can set it below battery voltage, but until the battery gets down below the voltage you have set, it will give you output equal to the current battery voltage.

In other words, when the battery is fully charged to 4.2v, you get 4.2v even if you set it to 3.7v. When the battery gets down to 3.7v and below, it will maintain 3.7v until the battery dies if that's where it is set.

I like 2 ohm coils on my Kayfun and 4.2v is a little hot unless I frequently cover an air hole and prime the wick. Once it gets down to a lower battery voltage the vape is good without a highly primed wick.

The workaround is to never fully charge it. Just plug it into USB and boost it to half or two thirds full every once in a while and it's a nice vape. Either that or use 3 ohm coils.

I hate being new to something cause once in awhile you get lost and feel dumb when some one explains something you have no clue about LOL! But that's what's great about forums I've learned a lot since joining ECF and still am..... Now you say use 3 ohm coils can istick use them? I don't know much about coils I never knew you had to prime them mine that came with my PIKE ego work right out if package so when my wife's went bad and I replaced it it kept tasting burnt I realize it will take trial and error before I learn all about them that's why I won't spend more than 30-40 for a e vape in case I screw it up and even at $30-$40 that's a lot to throw away if I screw something up

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I hate being new to something cause once in awhile you get lost and feel dumb when some one explains something you have no clue about LOL! But that's what's great about forums I've learned a lot since joining ECF and still am..... Now you say use 3 ohm coils can istick use them? I don't know much about coils I never knew you had to prime them mine that came with my PIKE ego work right out if package so when my wife's went bad and I replaced it it kept tasting burnt I realize it will take trial and error before I learn all about them that's why I won't spend more than 30-40 for a e vape in case I screw it up and even at $30-$40 that's a lot to throw away if I screw something up

Nothing wrong with working your way into vaping slowly, learning as you go....:)

For my vaping budget, I've never thought of it as $30 - $40, but rather 4 to 5 1/2 packs of smokes. If I buy something, I ask myself if it will last longer that the number of packs would have when I smoked. Usually whatever I do buy lasts years longer than the pack of smokes ever did.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

For the Eleaf iStick the 3 ohm coil makes a lot of sense. at 4.2 volts a 3 ohm coil heats to 5.8 watts. When the battery is fully charged you will get full battery voltage no matter how low you set it. That's almost 9 watts on a 2 ohm coil. When the battery voltage begins to drop, your low range setting will allow it to settle lower and lower as the battery voltage drops. Once it gets half empty you can start to raise the desired voltage to get back to your sweet spot.

It takes a little getting used to, but the iStick is still one of my favorites for pocket carry with a Kayfun 3.1.

Last edited:

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
Welcome to the forum. For an eGo style batt with VV I recommend the Vision Spinner 2. In all my other mods I use Efest batts. My only regulated mod is a Vamo V6 which I really like. (Vaping with it right now in fact). The mods whether mech or regulated give more power than the eGo style batts. You can run lower resistance coils or heat up the ones you have faster. It is a different world. If you are just looking to get into the higher power mods and builds I highly recommend a regulated mod to start with. :2c:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Being new to vaping I'm still try to learn more about the hardware at the moment I have a $20 ego style e CIG made by PIKE and while I don't have any issues with it cause it does the job I'm in the market to buy a new fancier one with variable volt adjust.There's so many out there to choose from I'd like to find out the difrence between ego style batteries and the kind of mods that use regular looking batteries is one better than the other? Which is best?

id recommend an ego Twist/Spinner style battery. looks just like your ego PIKE, but has a dial on the bottom to raise/lower your voltage. plus its regulated, meaning the power will stay at what you set it at until the battery is dead. with the pike, your power will diminish as the battery charge diminishes. youll likely be able to use the same charger you have already, but be sure to confirm.

once you get the hang of a twist battery, you may or may not want to move onto another regulated device (i stress regulated because mechanicals [unregulated] require a deeper understanding/experience), like a replaceable battery unit or an internal battery unit like a regulated box mod. if you do move onto a larger regulated device, youll notice longer sustained power and higher power capabilities. you may or may not be interested in these features.

if you go the way i did, youll love the extra power and might even move onto mechanicals, which can be tailored to have even *more* power. and then if thats still not enough, you have high wattage box mods out now that will give you even more power than that. so the world is your oyster, but i strongly suggest to start with only what you need, otherwise you could be spending a grip of cash on technology you dont need/want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread