Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Code:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/
why-americans-cant-get-the-same-effective-sunscreen-
protection-europeans-can-114732931.html

Link broken; edit to single line for use. This story needs some intelligent comments beyond the FDA's blinders and the lobbying/manipulation by big tobacco for return of it's customer base.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
What a totally unprofessional nimrod, and in charge of the FDA?? They have ignored important peer reviewed studies from all over the world supporting e-cigarettes, showing how effective they in quitting smoking. And the FDA defends Chantix, whose maker is being sued for the suicides it's caused....:facepalm:

Margaret A Hamburg FDA commissioner should be part of our 'photo' set.

090311_hamburg_brown.jpg

This it to whom the Senators' letter was sent.

Interesting bio...

New FDA Chief Must Divest Several Stock, Fund Holdings - WSJ

Margaret Hamburg and her husband, Peter Fitzhugh Brown, must divest themselves of several hedge-fund holdings as well as some of Mr. Brown's inherited drug-company stocks so Dr. Hamburg can take the post as the nation's top food and drug regulator. Mr. Brown is a lieutenant to hedge-fund magnate James Simons.

The couple's income in 2008 came from stocks, money-market accounts, trusts and funds including several affiliated with hedge-fund sponsor Renaissance Technologies, where Mr. Brown works.

Another "Republican" hedge funder on Wall Street during the meltdown??? No. Both Democrats.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Another "Republican" hedge funder on Wall Street during the meltdown??? No. Both Democrats.

No excuses for national Dems on the vaping issues. None.

No excuses for Christie or Snyder or Kasich (all GOP gov.s) at the state level.

Dem gov.s like Dayton (MN) or Shumlin (VT) who express support for vaping and who have personally stopped indoor/outdoor bans and/or taxes (oops, they're Dems, we can forget about them).

A Libertarian Pres in '16 would be helpful.

Except not Rand or Ron Paul. Because they're clinicians. Right, Kent?

So they get a pass. Just as Christie, Kasisch, and Snyder. They're just "ignorant."

GOP or Libertarian anti-vaping politicians (or states like ND or UT) always get a "pass." Because this isn't really about vaping.

It's about why we hate Democrats.

Last edited:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Margaret Hamburg and her husband, Peter Fitzhugh Brown...

The couple's income in 2008 came from stocks, money-market accounts, trusts and funds including several affiliated with hedge-fund sponsor Renaissance Technologies, where Mr. Brown works.

Awesome opportunity for insider trading...

EDIT: For her husband's employer..

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
No excuses for national Dems on the vaping issues. None.

No excuses for Christie or Snyder or Kasich (all GOP gov.s) at the state level.

Dem gov.s like Dayton (MN) or Shumlin (VT) who express support for vaping and who have personally stopped indoor/outdoor bans and/or taxes (oops, they're Dems, we can forget about them).

A Libertarian Pres in '16 would be helpful.

Except not Rand or Ron Paul. Because they're clinicians. Right, Kent?

So they get a pass. Just as Christie, Kasisch, and Snyder. They're just "ignorant."

GOP or Libertarian anti-vaping politicians (or states like ND or UT) always get a "pass." Because this isn't really about vaping.

My comments were about the perception of hedge funders and corporate bankers. It's mainly just the perception that Wall Street is Republican and while that may have been the case in the now distant past, it certainly wasn't the case during the meltdown of 2008. And even they were just victims (in one sense) - forced to trade packages of toxic loans - of the Community Reinvestment Act from Carter and promoted heavily during Clinton, by Reno mainly. That said, GWB used some of the false 'success' of it - low/medium home ownership was up, during his own '04 campaign. That's before the foreclosures started though :)

When it was over, Barney Frank, a main principle in keeping the gag going... in 2003 said:

"I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing."

... but after the debacle in 2010:

"....the subsidy again, as I said before, should be focused on affordable rental housing, not in pushing low income people into owning homes that they can't afford."

IOW, Barney thought the poor should rent, not buy houses, even though he had pushed the CRA and fannie and Freddie for years before.... Nice bit of Monday Morning quarterbacking.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Seriously, Roger. This is not about a few names that you're so fond of quoting, over and over (Christie, Snyder and Kasich on the GOP side, and Dayton and Shumlin on the Democratic side). Those are just a few individuals, outliers, if you will, they don't matter.

The big picture is grim and there's no getting away from it--the entire anti-vaping hysteria is and has been always coming from the Democratic side. I know it's painful for all Democratic vapers to acknowledge that fact--but if we don't identify our problems and our enemies correctly, we don't stand a chance of winning.

Heck, the only reason that the FDA has been finally forced to act was the relentless push from our favorite Democratic Senators:

Members of Congress Call for Ban of E-Cigarettes on Capitol Grounds - Press Releases - Press Office - U.S. Senator .... Durbin

US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, & Pensions: Newsroom - Press Releases

Senators Call on FDA to Restrict the Sale, Distribution, and Marketing of E-Cigarettes - Press Releases - Press Office - U.S. Senator .... Durbin

This petition has been written by a fellow Democrat. I know you're familiar with it. I signed it too--I'm still a registered Democrat myself.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oters-democratic-party-stop.html#post12183858

My very Democratic state tried to ban (or restrict) sales of e-cigarettes from the very beginning. The first time (in 2009) we were saved by our Republican governor:

California Bill Banning Electronic Cigarettes SB400 Vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger | Electronic Cigarette Reviews and Blog

The second time, in May of this year, AB 1500 (introduced by a Democrat Dickinson) failed because Republican members of the Appropriations Committee opposed it. A few Democrats who abstained did so because they felt the bill didn't go far enough and are hoping that the harsher version will be introduced next year. :facepalm:

For whatever reason, Roger, Democrats want to kill e-cigarettes. We can't let them.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
California was targeted because it has one of the lowest smoking populations in the nation. Others were Hawaii and Utah. There's 2 more states that equal the top five non-smoking states in the nation. All 5 were targeted. It amounts to demographics. That's all.

Seriously, Roger. This is not about a few names that you're so fond of quoting, over and over (Christie, Snyder and Kasich on the GOP side, and Dayton and Shumlin on the Democratic side). Those are just a few individuals, outliers, if you will, they don't matter.

The big picture is grim and there's no getting away from it--the entire anti-vaping hysteria is and has been always coming from the Democratic side. I know it's painful for all Democratic vapers to acknowledge that fact--but if we don't identify our problems and our enemies correctly, we don't stand a chance of winning.

Heck, the only reason that the FDA has been finally forced to act was the relentless push from our favorite Democratic Senators:

Members of Congress Call for Ban of E-Cigarettes on Capitol Grounds - Press Releases - Press Office - U.S. Senator .... Durbin

US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, & Pensions: Newsroom - Press Releases

Senators Call on FDA to Restrict the Sale, Distribution, and Marketing of E-Cigarettes - Press Releases - Press Office - U.S. Senator .... Durbin

This petition has been written by a fellow Democrat. I know you're familiar with it. I signed it too--I'm still a registered Democrat myself.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oters-democratic-party-stop.html#post12183858

My very Democratic state tried to ban (or restrict) sales of e-cigarettes from the very beginning. The first time (in 2009) we were saved by our Republican governor:

California Bill Banning Electronic Cigarettes SB400 Vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger | Electronic Cigarette Reviews and Blog

The second time, in May of this year, AB 1500 (introduced by a Democrat Dickinson) failed because Republican members of the Appropriations Committee opposed it. A few Democrats who abstained did so because they felt the bill didn't go far enough and are hoping that the harsher version will be introduced next year. :facepalm:

For whatever reason, Roger, Democrats want to kill e-cigarettes. We can't let them.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
California was targeted because it has one of the lowest smoking populations in the nation. Others were Hawaii and Utah. There's 2 more states that equal the top five non-smoking states in the nation. All 5 were targeted. It amounts to demographics. That's all.

Interesting.

Targeted by whom? Who's behind the targeting efforts and why? Please excuse my ignorance.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
No, Katya, if Republicans were huge supporters of vaping, we'd have seen them in the Harken Committee.

You say: "The big picture is grim and there's no getting away from it--the entire anti-vaping hysteria is and has been always coming from the Democratic side. I know it's painful for all Democratic vapers to acknowledge that fact--but if we don't identify our problems and our enemies correctly, we don't stand a chance of winning."

And your evidence consists entirely of 12 Senate blowhard Dems, who (in many cases) couldn't bother to come to the hearing.

I'm well aware that Democrats in California are anti-vaping (at least those in national office).

But you have failed to make the case that this is a national movement on the part of Democrats. And most importantly - you have not explained why important Libertarians and Republicans haven't stood up for vapers?

Actually I'd ask you to account for North Dakota and Utah. Two of the most intensely anti-vaping states in the country.

You Republicans will get your wish. There will be (in all likelihood) a GOP Congress and a GOP President in 2017. You'll be CHEERING.

Oops, BP will rule. As they always have.

What will you say then, Tweety?

(At least they stand up for the rights of Gun Owners, and Unborn Children.)

Edit: Look, you live in CA and perhaps you can't stand living in a liberal state. I live in IN, and I'm not sure that I like the fact that I have to be an Activist Christian in order to pass muster as a sensible person. (I'm not against Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior, mind you. I just don't think we need to talk about Him all the time.) The reality is that we all want to think that vaping is important to other people. It is not, and it matters not a whit to politicians on either side. C.f. what I said in some other post about the ignored high school persona. That's what we are.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
No, Katya, if Republicans were huge supporters of vaping, we'd have seen them in the Harken Committee.

I don't need them (and I don't expect them, either) to be huge supporters of vaping. Vaping is a marginal issue. I just want them not to lead the fight to ban vaping, like the "12 Senate blowhard Dems" are. That's it. I want them to leave us alone.

And your evidence consists entirely of 12 Senate blowhard Dems, who (in many cases) couldn't bother to come to the hearing.

No, my evidence, again, in case you missed it. Those Dems are actively seeking a ban or severe restrictions on e-cigs and completely ignore science and evidence in support of vaping.

I'm well aware that Democrats in California are anti-vaping (at least those in national office).

Good.

But you have failed to make the case that this is a national movement on the part of Democrats. And most importantly - you have not explained why important Libertarians and Republicans haven't stood up for vapers?

Twelve senators urging FDA to act against e-cigs is not evidence? Their hysterical letter to Hamburg is not evidence?

Burr and Alexander did at the hearings. All Reps in the Appropriations Committee in CA did. Schwarzenegger did. :D I'll take what I can get.

Actually I'd ask you to account for North Dakota and Utah. Two of the most intensely anti-vaping states in the country.

Don't know the details, but shame on them.

You Republicans will get your wish. There will be (in all likelihood) a GOP Congress and a GOP President in 2017. You'll be CHEERING.

Again, you're wrong, I'm not a Republican. :D

Oops, BP will rule. As they always have. What will you say then, Tweety?

Probably, but so what? As long as vaping is unrestricted, BT will have to compete for the e-cig share of the market--good for all involved. Competition is good.

(At least they stand up for the rights of Gun Owners, and Unborn Children.)

Off topic.

Edit: Look, you live in CA and perhaps you can't stand living in a liberal state. I live in IN, and I'm not sure that I like the fact that I have to be an Activist Christian in order to pass muster as a sensible person. (I'm not against Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior, mind you. I just don't think we need to talk about Him all the time.) The reality is that we all want to think that vaping is important to other people. It is not, and it matters not a whit to politicians on either side. C.f. what I said in some other post about the ignored high school persona. That's what we are.

Again, off topic. I don't live in Indiana and I have no idea what Christianity has to do with vaping, sorry. I like California--I just don't like nanny-left wing governments getting into every aspect of my life, dictating what I should eat, drive, think etc. As Mayor Bloomberg said the other day at Harvard:

"Think about the irony: In the 1950s, the right wing was attempting to repress left wing ideas. Today, on many college campuses, it is liberals trying to repress conservative ideas even as conservative faculty members are at risk of becoming an endangered species"

"There was more disagreement among the old Soviet politburo than there is among Ivy League donors."

"Neither party has a monopoly of truth or God on its side."

Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff! ;)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
> Twelve senators urging FDA to act against e-cigs is not evidence? Their hysterical letter to Hamburg is not evidence?

It's evidence of some very poor research. Done by the kids who were raised to think that the word "cigarette" was evil, and so forth. You're dealing with the very same folks who do "research" for the media. This is America. Wait 'til BP elects the next President. You'll be happy about their party. Maybe.

> Burr and Alexander did at the hearings. All Reps in the Appropriations Committee in CA did. Schwarzenegger did. :D I'll take what I can get.

Fine and good. Except that you don't examine motive.

And that's the point. If the "non-Democrats" win, then they will be paid off by BP.

> Again, you're wrong, I'm not a Republican. :D

Are you a "libertarian" or an "independent?" I live in a state which is chock-full of "liberatarians" and "independents." Except that ALL of them believe in the Rights of the Unborn Child, the Rights Of Gun Owners, and the fact that the End Times are upon us. Trust me, I have been nearly killed many times knocking doors in the most conservative parts of the Bible Belt.

> Probably, but so what? As long as vaping is unrestricted, BT will have to compete for the e-cig share of the market--good for all involved. Competition is good.

Surely you jest :)

> Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff! ;)

I'm for that. Please tell that to President Rand Paul about vaping. Apparently he decided not to come to the hearing. Because he was a clinician, it seems.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It's evidence of some very poor research. Done by the kids who were raised to think that the word "cigarette" was evil, and so forth. You're dealing with the very same folks who do "research" for the media. This is America. Wait 'til BP elects the next President. You'll be happy about their party. Maybe.

Fine and good. Except that you don't examine motive.

I see. So the Democrats who are trying very hard to ban e-cigarettes are just poorly informed, but their motives are pure.

The Republicans who want to protect vaping are evil and have ulterior, nefarious motives.

You win. If that's what you believe, I have nothing else to say to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread