EU Why are ecig sales crashing in Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The astounding ignorance apparently displayed by Spanish health care professionals may explain reports of crashing ecig sales and the mass closure of ecig shops in Spain:

I'm not Really Informed on what is going on in Spain.

But here is a Question. Are the e-Cigarette Sales Really Crashing? Or is that just something that Someone trying to Promote their Cause/Agenda would like you to Think?

Hattivatti

Jun 1, 2014
Finland
The main thing why e-cig sales has dropped in Spain is that there were too many resellers: when the boom was at the highest every shop was selling e-cig starter kits including even florists. And thanks to ANTZ's misinformation campaigns (e-cigs are just bad as real ones) new vapers just went back to smoking and sales dropped.

The media source is from Spain's e-cig vendor association ANCE and they are probably exaggerating those figures. I got this information from one vendor from Spain.

Hattivatti

Jun 1, 2014
Finland
That is the ANTZ's goal in EU: in Italy e-cig sales has also dropped, thanks to ANTZ's misinformation, real cig sales grows up. Even adolescents thinks roll-on-your-own cigs are less harmfull than factory made ones: Italian smoking rates up on anti-tobacco day - GazzettaDelSud

Looks like their goal is to remove e-cigs from the market to protect their existence by protecting Big T's sales so they can continue to support Big P's useless products for ever.

Dr. Farsalinos is also worried about this movement: A new study indicates that anti-smoker and anti-vaper activists are doing a good job (unfortunately)

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Yep, the "we only breathe air" zealots have a strong foothold. Never minding that the air that they breathe is quite tainted. First off, they didn't ask SMOKERS if it helped them quit, they asked health care professionals. Would they possibly have a stake in claiming that ecigs don't help people stop smoking (ie, kickbacks, grant monies, etc)? And as for harm reduction, it isn't even on the table:

A very important aspect according to healthcare professionals is maintaining an " off limits "
approach to tobacco products in daily life , ie make " smoking" or " vapourising " seen as something
not acceptable in daily life
. Therefore, 97% of respondents believe that the widespread use of this
product affects this " off limits " appeal

There is nothing more that needs to be said.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I didn't read the whole linked document, just the one that was linked to here and they don't qualify what / where they are getting their figures. Ecig sales have stalled or decreased in the US too but the US figures only include sales made through smoke shops, reported by BT. The US figures do NOT include sales from dedicated vape shops, online sales or overseas sales (like FT whixh is one of the fastest growing companies in the world / Forbes I think). That's a very misleading picture of the industry. There's always a way to fudge figures. They aren't black n white.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Yep, the "we only breathe air" zealots have a strong foothold. Never minding that the air that they breathe is quite tainted. First off, they didn't ask SMOKERS if it helped them quit, they asked health care professionals. Would they possibly have a stake in claiming that ecigs don't help people stop smoking (ie, kickbacks, grant monies, etc)? And as for harm reduction, it isn't even on the table:

There is nothing more that needs to be said.

Here's the fun part. Apparently, somewhere in So. Cal there is a City Councilman who is also an ACLU lawyer. He says behavior-control laws would be easy to challenge on first-Amendment grounds.

But Santa Clara County ("northern Ca" which means the middle) is about to STRIKE OUT all of the language about dangers to health, fire danger, all the VALID reason for their no-smoking laws in order to shoehorn in the anti-vaping provisions.

It's tempting to go speak in FAVOR of it as someone who still smokes and is looking forward to the new version of their anti-smoking laws being struck down now that they're gutting it. Really tempting.....

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
More pain in Spain, reported by AIDUCE, the French Vapers' Association. Scroll down for English version: Les ventes d

For English version, scroll down in the link.
E-cigarette sales slump, whilst those of tobacco soar!

And yes, precisely. Lies, misinformation and scaremongering being blasted all over the media. The old - and completely nonsensical - lipoid pneumonia lie.

The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: German Cancer Research Center Lies about Health Effects of Electronic Cigarettes to Scare Users and Unfairly Influence EU Directive

The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: German Cancer Research Center Corrects Inaccurate Statement About Glycerine Causing Lipoid Pneumonia

Lie courtesy of Martina Pötschke-Langer, DKFZ (German cancer research institute), employee of WHO Tobacco Control. Lie issued in 2013, went viral in Tobacco Control liar's circles and is still blathered today, here and there.

Lie removed from PöLa's (as we call her) publications after she was informed that it is a complete falsehood. In all probability removed for fear of being subjected to ridicule. After all, somebody working in a research institute just might (!) be expected to know that glycerine is an alcohol and by no means and oi.

Well, yeah, the lie was removed in Germany and taken apart by Dr. Siegel in the US. What to do? Oh yeah, contact our tobacco control amigos n Spain, maybe the Spanish public believes it. :(

The tobacco control industry - and the Spanish government - must be delighted that many former e-cigs users in Spain have now returned to smoking.

Public "health" indeed.

(btw: I have seen the presentation about the original scaremongering lies in the Spanish media, with pictures. It is horrible, and wrong on so many counts. Sheer fearmongering. I will not publish it, however. I have no intention of providing a blueprint for other scaremongering media. I do not feed our enemies. They can find their own food. Parasites to society that they are.)

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

Irish Lass

Jul 8, 2014
Belfast
A fantastic effort largely based around street collections , heard that 2 guys had collected 300 signatures between them on one Saturday night alone.
Ooh, brilliant! So how would a person go about getting legal signatures for the petition on the street? I could do that here in Belfast if I knew how. Is there advice about this on the efvi website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread