why are people saying 2x18650 mods have twice the run time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
I can't find an actual answer. everyone says "lasts forever on 2 batteries". the high wattage box mods with 2x18650 "should" be run in series? therefore the mah should be the same as one battery, not both? of course you are spreading the load across the two, resulting in less amperage per unit I think? maybe a little while longer.

twice as long? please, not speculation. actual answer..

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I can't find an actual answer. everyone says "lasts forever on 2 batteries". the high wattage box mods with 2x18650 "should" be run in series? therefore the mah should be the same as one battery, not both? of course you are spreading the load across the two, resulting in less amperage per unit I think? maybe a little while longer.

twice as long? please, not speculation. actual answer..

When in series the mAh does not increase but the Wh do.

nic_fix

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
okay, so all I need to know now is are these mods with two batteries connected in series or parallel? if they are connected in series as I think the claims of "lasts so much longer than single 18650" are unfounded. actually, the ipv3 has a 9v charger so I think that speaks for itself. so much for the claims made about these.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
okay, so all I need to know now is are these mods with two batteries connected in series or parallel? if they are connected in series as I think the claims of "lasts so much longer than single 18650" are unfounded. actually, the ipv3 has a 9v charger so I think that speaks for itself. so much for the claims made about these.

Well I tried

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
that's what I meant. the watt hours increase but it is not double the capacity. at least I doubt it.

If in parallel the mah does increase so it does almost double the capacity.Not the case in series. in series the voltage is added but the mah/capacity remains the same or takes that of the lower mah rating of the batteries in series.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
If in parallel the mah does increase so it does almost double the capacity.Not the case in series. in series the voltage is added but the mah/capacity remains the same or takes that of the lower mah rating of the batteries in series.

Wraith, what you're not taking in consideration, at the same wattage the drain on the batteries is less with the higher voltage.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wraith, what you're not taking in consideration, at the same wattage the drain on the batteries is less with the higher voltage.

This is how I understand it also. This also satisfies my desire that two of the same size and watt hour batteries do twice the work of one. Conservation of energy.

Last edited:

nic_fix

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
I guess I don't understand. 2 batteries in series should not provide twice the runtime of a single of same mah. new math? granted, you get more wh. that is more efficient and will under many circumstances provide more run time. not twice as much. if they were in parallel, indeed that is twice as much mah. it is pretty simple math. of course I could be wrong. maybe they do run twice as long.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Ok, to put it in slightly more scientific terms: Two batteries have twice the amount of stored energy (W) as one battery. Power (P) is energy over time (W/t), so as long as the power (P) output is the same, twice the energy (W) means twice the time (t).

P = W/t.

(Note that the unit for power (P) is Watts (W), and the unit for energy (W) is joules (J); this can be confusing if you're not aware of it. The unit for t (time) is s (seconds).)

Examples:

1 W = 60 J / 60 s.

Double the number of batteries = double the energy. Keep the power constant:

1 W = 120 J / 120 s.

Twice the number of batteries = twice the runtime.

You can also double the number of batteries, and double the power, and achieve the same runtime:

2 W = 120 J / 60 s.

Using joules is probably a bit strange in the context of batteries, but it's simple: 1 Wh = 3600 J (because 1 hour = 3600 seconds).
You can convert between Wh and mAh by using Joule's law: Power (P) = voltage (U) * current (I). For the Lithium batteries that we usually vape with, use the nominal voltage, U = 3.7 V.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
nic_fix, here is a simple explanation of how this works using two setups, one parallel and one series and both at 10 watts.

Mechanical mod
Parallel (2x2000mAh) 10 watts at 4 volts draws 2.5 amps - Capacity 4000mAh/2500=1.6 hours run time
Series (2x2000mAh) 10 watts at 8 volts draws 1.25 amps - Capacity 2000mAh/1250=1.6 hours run time

Now when using in a regulated mod you factor in
additional amperage drawn when parallel batteries are boosting the voltage
lower amperage drawn when series batteries are bucking voltage

This is just a simple explanation that doesn't factor in regulator efficiency but should help you understand why

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Yes, when comparing parallel to serial, some details need to be explicit: Are we talking about unregulated mods? If so, is the resistance of the coil on the serial mod the same as that of the parallel mod, or is it higher?

If the current (and power) is the same, that means the resistance in the dual battery setup must be higher, and the runtime will also be higher. If the resistance is the same, the current (and power) will be higher with serial, and the runtime will not be higher.

If the mod is regulated, is the output power in the one battery setup the same as the output power in the dual battery setup? If so, the runtime should be roughly proportional to the total stored energy in the batteries.

My impression is that most online discussions about this topic ignore these essential questions, and so people talk past each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread