Why are some replacement coils not usable with Nic Salts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harryinny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Syracuse NY
What do the nic salts do to them? I have found that my Ileaf iCare heads have been burning out very fast since my juice maker started using Nic Salts, also i am going through it like water. I use 36mg nic(when it was regular nic) i feel like it should be 45-50 nic with these salts. I cant put it down, i just do not get the fix.

ANY information would be helpful.

BTW, my TopTank mini heads are just fine with the salts, they last just as long. Yes i have converted back to mouth to lung, i didnt start vaping to spend more than i did on analogs those so many years ago when i switched.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
What do the Nic Salts do to them? I have found that my Ileaf iCare heads have been burning out very fast since my juice maker started using Nic Salts, also i am going through it like water. I use 36mg nic(when it was regular nic) i feel like it should be 45-50 nic with these salts. I cant put it down, i just do not get the fix.

ANY information would be helpful.

BTW, my TopTank mini heads are just fine with the salts, they last just as long. Yes i have converted back to mouth to lung, i didnt start vaping to spend more than i did on analogs those so many years ago when i switched.
If you want to save money and have total control then mix and rebuild. DIY liquid costs me about 10 cents a day. Six inches of wire and a strip of cotton is a few more pennies a few times a month. If you need other people to do your mixing and building then you are going to be spending more.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have no idea why that would be happening. I DIY nic salts and my coil life is pretty identical across the board. I have heard random reports of nic salts shortening coil life and always ascribed it to the lack of airflow to many pod/coils to reduce vapor and hence, the coils are shortened from that.

What is your nic salt vendor and what chemical do they use to convert it to salts do you know by chance?

Anna

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
This new fad for adding a nic salts coil in your vape kit is just a gimicky fad. The reason they do it is related to wattage so you will notice that the nic salt coil is a higher resistance than the freebase coil. This is because you are supposed to vape the high strength salt nic at a low wattage...hope that makes sense.

There is no way that there is any difference in coil longevity so there must be another reason for your coils giving up quickly...maybe they're just bad coils?? You can vape either salts or freebase nic on any coil you like no difference....hope this answers your questions..good luck to you. :)

Harryinny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Syracuse NY
Thank you all for the replies. It just seems the micro coils on the iCare burn out quicker than they did when i was using reg nic liquid from an online retailer. They friend of mine ive been using for the last 6 months for juice has been using salts and im not getting the satisfaction from 36 nic salts. Im chain vaping to get that satisfaction. Im having him switch me back to regular nic and see what happens. It might be a result of maybe not enough nic salt to make the mix a true 56mg nic mixture like it was with regular nic. No idea how high the salts should be to equal the old 36mg nic juice i use to buy. My friend was also not use to mixing such a high nic juice, they are all mostly drippers, squankers.

Again, thanks for the replies, and yes i have everything to wrap my own coils and whatnot, i just dont feel like breaking it all out for now. Thats why ive been using the iCare mini, its much more natural to me, and also, direct lung vaping was making me all gunky in my lungs, so i stopped. I was using 24mg nick when cloud chasing, and was going through it like water also.
Again, thanks. Hope this next batch might fix things. We will see. But he will have both mixtures if i decide to switch back to the salts.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
My understanding of juices that contain nic salts is that the actual base is still just plain old VG and PG. The difference is the chemical composition of the nicotine within it. The nicotine is presented as salt as opposed to freebase which a 'purer' form of the nicotine molecule. Most nicotine salts are produced by combining freebase nicotine with Benzoic acid.
If you are getting shorter coil life with one juice and not the other it is down to the VG/PG ratio or the flavorings and has nothing to do with the nicotine, nicotine does not gunk coils as far as I know.

What are Nicotine Salts? Beginner's Guide to Salt E-Liquid

• Useful

Harryinny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Syracuse NY
Nic salt milligrams are identical to free base milligrams dude.

I don't know what your problem is, but it is definitely not that.

Anna
I know that they are NOT the same, the amount needed to get that craving under control is higher when using nic salts compared to regular nic. Its all there in black and white in a post someplace here lol. The DIY folks were also saying that someone using 36mg nic the old fashioned way would have to have their nic bumped up to 45-50mg with nic salts. They charge a premium at the couple of places i stopped in around here, and i almost laughed so hard at the prices, i had tears running down my face.

Im gonns try the mix i use with the old nic, and see if my craving stays at bay, it should. If thats the case, i will ask him to make the next batch at a higher nic level using the salts. Do not get me wrong i love the salts, they are smooth as a babies bottom, but i cant justify the price being on a fixed income where every dollar counts. I get a 130Ml bottle for $25 with salts at 36mg, and $20 with regular nic, and thats in the USA red with a hint of Caramel thrown in.

Cant beat that with a stick no matter how hard you try.

LOL.

PS. I WAS using 85/15 VG/PG from Myfreedomsmokes before my friend started making it for me, and the coils in that iCare would last 2 weeks easy.

• Creative

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
There are different blends of nic salts. The nude nic website has three blends, one 'throaty', one 'smooth', and one that's a blend of the two...I would suggest asking your supplier/friend to consider using the throaty blend for you...I love the salts too, and can comfortably drip up to about 36 mg. Another option might be to have him mix in some freebase nic, if he is using only salts. I like a 3mg freebase 'spiked' up with salts to higher level. If you are vaping a lower wattage than you used to, that could affect your coil life. Hope you get it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread