The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

why are those spiders in my passthrough

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by newboy, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. newboy

newboy Full Member

Dec 2, 2010
    south carolina
    Hey all,

received a pass-through for a KR808D-1. Defective on arrival. Wasn't worth the hassle to return it.

Thought the switch was bad, so took it apart to replace switch. It's just a pass-through, 5V in from the USB connector, a simple NO switch to the cartomizer, 5V out to the cartomizer, or so I thought.

BUT NO, it wasn't just a switch. There is a small pcb with surface mount resistors, and spiders (multi-legged black boxes)!

Got any idea what they are doing here? What was wrong with just having a switch?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

2. Prodigal441

Prodigal441 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2011
    NH
    I will guess that it is a regulator. This is common in many pass-throughs that I have seen and opened out of curiosity. Keep in mind that I could also be wrong. Without seeing yours, that would be my educated guess.

3. newboy

newboy Full Member

Dec 2, 2010
    south carolina
    Thank you,

the output is 5.0V same as the input.

I was thinking possibly some type of relay (MOSFET or the like?).

a lot more complicated than I thought, anyway.

4. AttyPops

AttyPops Vaping Master ECF Veteran

MOSFET.... at least, yes. Probably some other circuitry too (can't tell from the description, haven't torn one apart). The MOSFET allows them to use the small low-amp button. Other chips may monitor for shorts, monitor voltage, apply cut-offs, some are resistors for the LED, etc. .... who knows what they stuff on those PCBs these days. Prolly varies by manufacturer too.

P.S. Spiders....I like that. lol.

5. newboy

newboy Full Member

Dec 2, 2010
    south carolina
    thanks, guys.

I had thought I would make my own passthroughs, if all I needed was a tube and a micro-switch. After taking that one apart, $14 seems really cheap.

6. AttyPops

For a 5v direct-PT, all you need is a tube, atty-connector, and 3 amp switch (rather than micro switch) optionally an LED/resistor. If you want a micro switch, use a MOSFET circuit. Still not too bad. Most people start by using a BAB (Big A.. Button)...lol. The purchased 5v PTs often die after a couple of months..... IMHO. But you are correct, $14.00 isn't too bad for even a couple of months of 5v vaping. Many of us like to mod just for fun.

Now, if you are thinking about 3.x battery backed PTs... buy those, or build a nico-stick and get 3.7 volts.

Good Luck!

7. WillyB

WillyB Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
    USA
    HUH? What exactly are you talking about?

8. AttyPops

S/B 3.x volt battery backed PTs... you know, the ones with the inline battery that are recharged via usb... you buy em. Depends on what the OP wants... 3.x v or 5 v. Post #6 was just discussing different PTs. And encouraging the OP to build a simple 5 v and not get too hung up on the circuitry that he saw when he tore his apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.