Why are we so limited in nicotine strengths when it comes to salts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
Hey fellas, I've been vaping since 2015. I started out with a Kanger sub box mini and am now currently equipped with a Nautilus AIO (for taking out) 2 Aegis Legend mods with Aero and Alpha tank and... I just recently purchased a Zenith MTL.

I've been thinking of stopping sub ohm all together since Salts are much more cost effective and last so much longer between 10 and 14 watts.

I just have one question.. After looking at sites like eliquid.com and ejuicevapor.com I've noticed that for the most part, they only give us 2 options: 25 and 50mg. Sure I've seen a few with 35 and Even 25mg but depending on what juice line you select each one offers different nicotine strengths it seems.

35mg to me is just too strong so I don't need to even look at 50mg. I can tolerate 35mg in small sessions but I always look at it as if it was the equivalent to a "5 Hour Energy Shot Drink" because I basically just take 2 draws and I'm done for 30 mins or so. I would much rather have less nicotine so I can vape more often and more frequently but... not as much as I do when I'm sub ohming 3mg!

I had 25mg once (although I forgot what brand it was) but it was pretty close to my sweet spot of nic strength. However I was wondering if anyone makes 20mg salt? I feel my sweetspot for salts is between 20 and 25mg quite possibly.

So my question is this: Does any salt manufacturer offer a more wide variety of nicotine strengths other than 25/50, 35/50, 24/48mg and the like? I'm a huge fan of fruit flavors like Pineapple and mango, and also vanilla custard. Does any juice line offer different strengths or at the very least 20mg?

Thanks in advance.
P.S. I've been very busy lately, so It might take me a few days to get back to the thread. Please bare with me and thanks!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I had 25mg once (although I forgot what brand it was) but it was pretty close to my sweet spot of nic strength. However I was wondering if anyone makes 20mg salt? I feel my sweetspot for salts is between 20 and 25mg quite possibly.

I suggest you buy 25 (and maybe even 35 mg/ml) salt ejuices and just dilute them with PG/VG to your desired strength. You'll be diluting the flavor strength, of course, but you may discover that you like it better. To me, most commercial eliquids are overly flavored anyway and I've always diluted them--to at least 50% or more, with my own PG/VG blends. Give it a try.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
DIY, then you can get any strength you want. Buy salt nicotine at 100mg/ml, and make your own juice easily. Lots of folks are here to help.

You can buy 120 ml of 100mg/ml nicotine salts for $10.99 (plus shipping), and make 600ml of 20mg/ml juice. The rest of the ingredients are even cheaper.

BTW, the reason I DIY is because nobody will make juice the way I want it.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
DIY, then you can get any strength you want. Buy salt nicotine at 100mg/ml, and make your own juice easily. Lots of folks are here to help.

You can buy 120 ml of 100mg/ml nicotine salts for $10.99 (plus shipping), and make 600ml of 20mg/ml juice. The rest of the ingredients are even cheaper.

BTW, the reason I DIY is because nobody will make juice the way I want it.
Or even buy 0 nic liquids and add the desired amount of nic salt.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention, I'm not interested in DIY or Juices that need to be steeped. I'm right on the fringe of quitting as it is as just wanted to know if 20mg was out there. I'm sorry I forgot to mention I wasn't interested in DIY. I simply don't have the time for it.

It's just unsettling that some of my go to brands like Vaptasia, Ruthless, Loaded, Kilo, Charlie's Chalk Dust and Beard that I use their freebase for don't make a 25mg salt. I should have been more specific in my post, I'm interested in simple name brands like these. I'll continue looking in the meantime.

Again sorry for not mentioning I'm not interested in Mixing or DIY.

This site has 20% salt liquids and at good prices.

Nicotine Strength: 20mg Nicotine Salt

Thank you, I'm checking it out right now!

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
There are many that have 18mg freebase juices.
Also, like others suggested... modify your salt juices (it's really easy!) Dilute with unflavored, lower nic freebase juices (of same brand or at least similar flavor) or get the juices in low nic and and add unflavored salt nic. Some of these take like 5 minutes to do... shake well after mixing. You will need to do a little math (and get some empty containers)

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Unless it's the throat hit that annoys you - can you just go for 18mg freebase nic mixes?

No it's the nic buzz that is just too much for me at 35. I thought of trying regular freebase nic but was turned off by the fact that I hear that freebase is just more harsh than salts as you raise the nic. Even if I wanted to, every juice site I've been to only sells up to 6mg. I admit I only buy from 3 or 4 sites but I have never seen 18mg in recent memory.

And how much harsher would a freebase at 18mg be over a salt at 18mg? Thanks man.

There are many that have 18mg freebase juices.
Also, like others suggested... modify your salt juices (it's really easy!) Dilute with unflavored, lower nic freebase juices (of same brand or at least similar flavor) or get the juices in low nic and and add unflavored salt nic. Some of these take like 5 minutes to do... shake well after mixing. You will need to do a little math (and get some empty containers)

I've been down that path already kinda when I accidently bought 0mg. The fine people of this forum sent me to a website where they explained exactly how much to put in. It was easy, but as I said, I have no interest in DIY, Building coils or Steeped Juice.

Thanks brother but I am just looking for premium store bought juice.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Just buy whatever juice you like in nic salt and then buy the same flavor in 0 nic. Combine or do it proportionally to get the strength your looking for. Get the 35nic and zero, pour both into a bigger bottle and enjoy 17.5mg nic salt juice. I know you can't be arsed to DIY, but surely this wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
And how much harsher would a freebase at 18mg be over a salt at 18mg? Thanks man.

Let's say easily twice as harsh.

I had a hard time standing the harshness at 12mg. I like things smooth and cool. So I don't use PG, either, which is also harsh. At any rate, when I quit I was vaping my diy at 25mg/ml of salt nicotine. That was less harsh than the 12mg freebase. Now I'm at 15mg/ml, still using salt nic and enjoying it.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Just buy whatever juice you like in nic salt and then buy the same flavor in 0 nic. Combine or do it proportionally to get the strength your looking for. Get the 35nic and zero, pour both into a bigger bottle and enjoy 17.5mg nic salt juice. I know you can't be arsed to DIY, but surely this wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.
That's what I was trying to say... takes 5 minutes, then shake and bake (vape)
There are several websites (will try to list some later) that let you choose nic strength and VG/PG ratio, and most of those are premium quality juices!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Salts are higher nic because they are smoother than freebase at higher levels. Since there’s no real benefit at lower levels, and salts cost more, juice makers just tend to use freebase.

I diy with both and cannot tell any difference at 6 mg/ml, probably the same at 12 or even more.

No need to mix or dilute your juice, simply find what you need that’s not a salt.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
What @DeloresRose said.

Quick historical recap:
2003-2017 — Freebase was the only nic option, available in strengths ranging from 3mg to 24mg.
2018 — Juul arrives. They have a tiny device that makes minuscule vapor and need a stronger nic to make the hit satisfying. But beyond 24mg the taste of freebase is overwhelming to the point of being unpleasant. So they use newly formulated Salt Nic which doesn't have the strong taste. They gain 70% of the American market share.

SN is not commonly sold in lower strengths because it was specifically invented to fill the niche of small devices requiring high concentrations. If you don't benefit from the high concentration then the sensible choice is to use freebase instead.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015

I was thinking the same thing, thanks for the advice. I purchased 2 25mg already with the link the first poster suggested.

What @DeloresRose said.

Quick historical recap:
2003-2017 — Freebase was the only nic option, available in strengths ranging from 3mg to 24mg.
2018 — Juul arrives. They have a tiny device that makes minuscule vapor and need a stronger nic to make the hit satisfying. But beyond 24mg the taste of freebase is overwhelming to the point of being unpleasant. So they use newly formulated Salt Nic which doesn't have the strong taste. They gain 70% of the American market share.

SN is not commonly sold in lower strengths because it was specifically invented to fill the niche of small devices requiring high concentrations. If you don't benefit from the high concentration then the sensible choice is to use freebase instead.

Thank you for the explanation. So to be fair, generally, ratios like 35/45, 25/50 are pretty much the norm and there is no way getting around it. I was just hoping there was at least a few major juice manufacturers (brands I love like Ruthless, Kilo, Vapetasia, Beard, Loaded and Naked 100) made 18 or 20mg. It seems like that isn't the case.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Thank you for the explanation. So to be fair, generally, ratios like 35/45, 25/50 are pretty much the norm and there is no way getting around it. I was just hoping there was at least a few major juice manufacturers (brands I love like Ruthless, Kilo, Vapetasia, Beard, Loaded and Naked 100) made 18 or 20mg. It seems like that isn't the case.
I've DIYed for so long I have no idea what's available or what distinguishes what brand from another. They're all massively overpriced from my point of view, and far too vulnerable to regulatory interference. Your usage of ratio is wrong: the only ratio we talk about is the PG:VG ratio which always adds up to 100. I guess you mean concentrations/strengths. Since shops aren't allowed to do their mixing in the back room anymore variety has decreased. Selling just one flavor in 4 strengths and 3 sizes means maintaining 12 individual stock units which all have to be shipped in from some central facility.

If I was you starting out I'd buy the nic and PG/VG bases, but then use flavor shots to take the guesswork out of it. There's something luxurious about having the flexibility to say, "I think I'll try 1mg higher strength this time" and then being able to make it happen; or saying, "the flavor was too strong last time" and then adding 1/4 less.

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Well I've decided to quit. Very disappointed that the brands and flavors I want don't come in 20 and very rarely even 25. After this bottle of 35mg is gone, I'm going cold turkey. Again this was never a "hobby" for me.

I will also take this opportunity to say goodbye to my friend "Two Bears" who went out of his way trying to get me to rebuild lol. Bears, If you're reading this, by the time you do I will have puffed on my last coil buddy! Thank you for everything brother

Reactions: f1vefour

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well I've decided to quit. Very disappointed that the brands and flavors I want don't come in 20 and very rarely even 25. After this bottle of 35mg is gone, I'm going cold turkey. Again this was never a "hobby" for me.

I will also take this opportunity to say goodbye to my friend "Two Bears" who went out of his way trying to get me to rebuild lol. Bears, If you're reading this, by the time you do I will have puffed on my last coil buddy! Thank you for everything brother
If you’re going that low you could get away with unprotonated nic. It commonly goes down to 3mg. Remember the throat hit ISNT eliminates it’s just reduced. Going to unprotonated will raise the throat hit again but not all that terrifically much.

Reactions: bnrkwest
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread