why are you subohming on a regulated device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherTime

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2014
United States
you subohm at .2 ohms (or if youre a suicide pipe bomber) because you can get 88.2 watts (or higher if you put fake air holes in your mech at vape blast)..which is awesome if you subohm at a safe resistance and use the right battery. you like mechs because...the heat/vapor production or the watts? because you dont necessarily need 80+ watts to get cloudy or to get a hot vape or flavor for "flavor junkies". one over looked aspect of your build is SURFACE AREA. with a regulated device you can add more surface area and still get your coil hot as hell. that means theres more area for juice to be vaporized, people...so why do i read people saying "o yea 180 watt device? bro can it go to -1.3 ohms?" why would you do that???? sub ohming is for MECHS. for maximum vape quality on a regulated device (not maximum wattage because watts do NOT gauge your vape quality) , you would want to build at the HIGHEST resistance where you could still vape at your devices max wattage. this also almost doubles your battery life. i tested this btw and its true, because youre [edit: pushing higher voltage and not necessarily] using less amps. if i build at 1.4 ohms on my ipv2 i can still get 50 watts. so why build at .7 and vape at 50 watts on the same device? my 1.4 ohm build has DOUBLE the surface area and yet i am getting the same power, longer battery life and double the vapor production, theoretically. i am complaining about ignorance AND trying to help the vaping community. attention vape heads who subohm on regulated devices and those of you who do/did not understand this: understand this

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
worms.jpeg worms.jpg

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
you subohm at .2 ohms (or if youre a suicide pipe bomber) because you can get 88.2 watts (or higher if you put fake air holes in your mech at vape blast)..which is awesome if you subohm at a safe resistance and use the right battery. you like mechs because...the heat/vapor production or the watts? because you dont necessarily need 80+ watts to get cloudy or to get a hot vape or flavor for "flavor junkies". one over looked aspect of your build is SURFACE AREA. with a regulated device you can add more surface area and still get your coil hot as hell. that means theres more area for juice to be vaporized, people...so why do i read people saying "o yea 180 watt device? bro can it go to -1.3 ohms? why would you do that???? sub ohming is for MECHS. for maximum vape quality on a regulated device (not maximum wattage because watts do NOT gauge your vape quality) , you would want to build at the HIGHEST resistance where you could still vape at your devices max wattage. this also almost doubles your battery life. i tested this btw and its true, because youre using less amps. if i build at 1.4 ohms on my ipv2 i can still get 50 watts. so why build at .7 and vape at 50 watts on the same device? my 1.4 ohm build has DOUBLE the surface area and yet i am getting the same power, longer battery life and double the vapor production, theoretically. i am complaining about ignorance AND trying to help the vaping community. attention vape heads who subohm on regulated devices and those of you who do/did not understand this: understand this

you're not using less amps, at least not because of your build's resistance.

to answer the OP, you would run subohm on a regulated mod for a couple reasons.

1) to use a certain build in a certain atomizer that cannot be built higher ohm. for example in my immortalizer, if i am building using ribbon kanthal, i cannot get it higher than about .7 ohms.

2) depending on the regulator's maximum output voltage, you may need to use a <1 ohm load to get high output wattage. for example if your converter tops out at 6v, 120 watts, to get 120 watts you will need a .3 ohm load.

you are right that in general subohm builds are not necessary on regulated mods, at least not in the same way they are on mechs. and that it is often a better idea to build higher if you can for your application.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
you subohm at .2 ohms (or if youre a suicide pipe bomber) because you can get 88.2 watts (or higher if you put fake air holes in your mech at vape blast)..which is awesome if you subohm at a safe resistance and use the right battery. you like mechs because...the heat/vapor production or the watts? because you dont necessarily need 80+ watts to get cloudy or to get a hot vape or flavor for "flavor junkies". one over looked aspect of your build is SURFACE AREA. with a regulated device you can add more surface area and still get your coil hot as hell. that means theres more area for juice to be vaporized, people...so why do i read people saying "o yea 180 watt device? bro can it go to -1.3 ohms? why would you do that???? sub ohming is for MECHS. for maximum vape quality on a regulated device (not maximum wattage because watts do NOT gauge your vape quality) , you would want to build at the HIGHEST resistance where you could still vape at your devices max wattage. this also almost doubles your battery life. i tested this btw and its true, because youre using less amps. if i build at 1.4 ohms on my ipv2 i can still get 50 watts. so why build at .7 and vape at 50 watts on the same device? my 1.4 ohm build has DOUBLE the surface area and yet i am getting the same power, longer battery life and double the vapor production, theoretically. i am complaining about ignorance AND trying to help the vaping community. attention vape heads who subohm on regulated devices and those of you who do/did not understand this: understand this

Yes; the whole benefit of a high power pv is you can get the high power without a low ohm build;

and the reason you get better battery life is you don't waste as much power from the inherent contact resistances in the mod.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes; the whole benefit of a high power pv is you can get the high power without a low ohm build;

and the reason you get better battery life is you don't waste as much power from the inherent contact resistances in the mod.

Another benefit is the power regulation of the battery; no voltage drop off like you have in a mechanical mod as the battery is discharged.

Yet another benefit, and probably the most important, is the inherent built-in protection circuitry of a regulated mod. Theoretically, no more battery-venting/mod-exploding/short-circuit firing/auto-firing buttons which is always a possibility in a mechanical mod.

Two years from now, using a mechanical and sub-ohms will be considered stone age vaping.

Last edited:

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Another benefit is the power regulation of the battery; no voltage drop off like you have in a mechanical mod as the battery is discharged.

Yet another benefit, and probably the most important, is the inherent built-in protection circuitry of a regulated mod. Theoretically, no more battery-venting/mod-exploding/short-circuit firing/auto-firing buttons which is always a possibility in a mechanical mod.
With this type of thinking the human race as a whole would not be where we are today.

FatherTime

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2014
United States
Simplicity is hardly an unequivocal virtue when it comes to PVs and in my experience mechs take a lot more maintenance than regulated mods, so it's questionable whether that statement is even true.

its simple when it comes to how it works, the pieces and how to put one together, which doesnt make me say mech 4 life. isnt a regulated device pretty simple too? arent all electronic cigarettes pretty simple?

wraith why arent you using a typewriter?

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
its simple when it comes to how it works, the pieces and how to put one together, which doesnt make me say mech 4 life. isnt a regulated device pretty simple too? arent all electronic cigarettes pretty simple?

wraith why arent you using a typewriter?
I am actually using a pencil and paper. Then simply scanning it to this forum!:p

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
In function and operation.. Not in maintenance.

So is it simple or not?

Function is no simpler than any other ecigarette. Operation is no simpler than any nonadjustable ecigarette and less simple than automatic units. Maintenance is as you admit not as simple.

Design and manufacturing are what is simple, but again those are hardly unequivocal virtues in ecigarettes.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
What's I'd like to see with these high powered devices is an optional module shaped like a battery, like the provape passthrough module, that you stick in the mod instead of the battery, and plug into the wall.

Because it's still a safety concern to me to be pull 100 200 and 300 watts out of a little 1 or 2 ounce battery.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
What's I'd like to see with these high powered devices is an optional module shaped like a battery, like the provape passthrough module, that you stick in the mod instead of the battery, and plug into the wall.

Because it's still a safety concern to me to be pull 100 200 and 300 watts out of a little 1 or 2 ounce battery.

It's still a safety concern to pull that out of the mains (and into your lungs)

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
So is it simple or not?

Function is no simpler than any other ecigarette. Operation is no simpler than any nonadjustable ecigarette and less simple than automatic units. Maintenance is as you admit not as simple.

Design and manufacturing are what is simple, but again those are hardly unequivocal virtues in ecigarettes.
Technically speaking the operation is undoubtedly more simple. Push button complete circuit coil fires. Regulated has to pass through your chip first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread