Why aren't genesis-style atomizers more popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex jo f

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2015
I don't usually bother with forums, but I'm truly perplexed by this. the difference between drippers and tanks - i've done a ton of research and have learned the pros and cons of each very well. the main difference is flavor and convenience; drippers are best for flavor but are inconvenient because you have to drip them and they can leak if on their side. tanks are obviously more convenient. there are many, myself definitely included, who are seeking the best of both worlds, but when i look at the available products on the market im perplexed by the choices of rta's and gennies. i learn that rta's arent as flavorful as drippers (in genereal) because the limited build size and the distance it has to travel, up from under the tank, to get to the mouth. not to mention, it seems like the airflow on the majority of rta's are limited, which i dont understand why. so then i think, ok, so if i really want the best of both worlds, i want the chamber on top and the tank on bottom, which leads me to the very obscure world of gennies. first question: why is it thought that builds on gennies have to be done with mesh and a "gapped" coil? second: why in the heck havent other people figured out that the overall style of these atomizers (chamber on top, tank on bottom) is the best configuration to get the flavor from a dripper and still have a tank. and why arent there more attys out there that use this configuration with the more popular micro and macro coils and a cotton wick? I know that there are people out there who do use cotton and "gapless" horizontal and vertical coils, but why is the market so devoid of them? the other thing i find with the majority, almost all, gennies is the airflow is always 2mm or less. I had to search high and low for a genesis-style atty with large airflow. finally i found the origen v2 genesis. but why? HELP ME UNDERSTAND! :)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Because for the most part flavor chasing has lost to subohm coils and cloud chasing. No matter how good the flavor is it just doesn't put out big enough clouds for the newer crowd.
You can use whatever wick you want but the whole concept was invented using mesh. And when using mesh there is no advantage to using compressed coils, since the steel holds heat easier spacing the coils is more efficient without drying out a spot on the wick.

The smaller airflow is directly related to stronger flavor. They were never designed with lung inhales as a priority. Again its purpose is maximum flavor.

Now a nice dual wick geni will have a lot more airflow and vapor output, my Megatron will choke you its so thick. Its not massive clouds its super thick clouds.

The kraken is another with dual 3 mm, I think airholes,

Tanks now( the better ones) have very good flavor that when setup correctly can match a dripper for many people.

I personally still think the ultimate flavor is a well setup genesis
And honestly 5 min and you have a dripper going, verses the mesh being the hardest to master. People want to build .2 ohm setups and "chuck clouds" and most geni won't tolerate that, without burning your lips off lol.
images-41.jpg

Last edited:

saku808

Apr 16, 2014
San francisco, CA
I think people are generally moving away from genny because of what paulBHC said, they require a little more skill to get just right, and they leak if not left upright. So people comprosmise with kayfuns etc. This seems to be the year of bottom feeding, where you can drip with a tank underneath, kind of best of both worlds.

Reactions: Rossum

alex jo f

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2015
Ok, so my next question is what causes them to leak? I'm assuming it's the airholes but do they leak more than drippers (other than the fact that they have more liquid)? And, also, aren't there ways of preventing it from leaking? Like twisting the top cap to close off the airholes. Now that i mention it, why dont i see more atties that you can twist to close off the mouthpiece? seems simple

alex jo f

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2015
Because for the most part flavor chasing has lost to subohm coils and cloud chasing. No matter how good the flavor is it just doesn't put out big enough clouds for the newer crowd.
You can use whatever wick you want but the whole concept was invented using mesh. And when using mesh there is no advantage to using compressed coils, since the steel holds heat easier spacing the coils is more efficient without drying out a spot on the wick.

The smaller airflow is directly related to stronger flavor. They were never designed with lung inhales as a priority. Again its purpose is maximum flavor.

Now a nice dual wick geni will have a lot more airflow and vapor output, my Megatron will choke you its so thick. Its not massive clouds its super thick clouds.

The kraken is another with dual 3 mm, I think airholes,

Tanks now( the better ones) have very good flavor that when setup correctly can match a dripper for many people.

I personally still think the ultimate flavor is a well setup genesis
And honestly 5 min and you have a dripper going, verses the mesh being the hardest to master. People want to build .2 ohm setups and "chuck clouds" and most geni won't tolerate that, without burning your lips off lol.
View attachment 462653
thanks, very good feedback. im gonna google the megatron and the kraken, any others that have the larger airflow?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Lol at this point the megi may be getting hard to find.
Tapping the holes on a steam turbine will get you some output

Part of the problem is also that not many geni are cheap, there are some clones and China versions but for the most part many of the good ones are expensive. Its hard to convince people to spend 3x what their mod costs when fasttech has 2000 drippers and tanks under 40 bucks.

They may not be super popular but don't doubt us users are still out there

Last edited:

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
For me, I never found good flavor with Gennies. It always seemed too airy, or burnt, with a very tight sweet spot that wasnt all that amazing. They do shine if you want a warmer vaping tank, and some dessert flavors are more enjoyable from them as an artifact of temperature. They also look the bee's knees, something very aesthetic about that squat little tank in the middle of SS tubing.

For me, flavor comes from Kayfuns and their tiny little chambers. Flavor trades off for airflow/clouds through the range of RTAs, with stuff like the Goblin on the other end providing dripper-esque clouds out of a tank.

But as always, flavor/temp/airflow/looks, are all subjective things, and vaping is all about catering to the subjective, so run what makes you happy.

Reactions: Firestorm

alex jo f

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2015
For me, I never found good flavor with Gennies. It always seemed too airy, or burnt, with a very tight sweet spot that wasnt all that amazing. They do shine if you want a warmer vaping tank, and some dessert flavors are more enjoyable from them as an artifact of temperature. They also look the bee's knees, something very aesthetic about that squat little tank in the middle of SS tubing.

For me, flavor comes from Kayfuns and their tiny little chambers. Flavor trades off for airflow/clouds through the range of RTAs, with stuff like the Goblin on the other end providing dripper-esque clouds out of a tank.

But as always, flavor/temp/airflow/looks, are all subjective things, and vaping is all about catering to the subjective, so run what makes you happy.
I have a goblin! has a bit of a burnt taste i think because the teensy chamber is like an oven in there. i want to try a kayfun so bad, but the airflow is stopping me. i dont necessarily want big clouds, i just like a very volumous vape with lots of throat hit, and i just find that its hard to get a very big hit with anything less than a 2mm airhole

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
The Origen genny is the best I have ever tried and the vape quality rivals a Kayfun IMO. The best I can describe is its somewhere between a dripper and a kayfun type device. Its not a huge cloud blower but for me its really nice but I think thats why they are not popular anymore. People want clouds and thats the direction we have gone.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Hands down, the best tank system I own is the Origin V2 Genesis. Amazing flavor, excellent airflow and multiple wicking options. It is set up to run either mesh or cotton. Usually, gennys set up with cotton are considered auto drippers. You turn them over to wet the wicks. I've never had to so much as tip the Origin. It wicks like a champ. Awesome atty and worth every penny. (many pennies)

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Both the origen geni and dripper are highly rated I have the dripper, and oddly enough with the vertical wick and huge well it could be set up with mesh easily
Mesh works great in the dripper or the genny. I switch from time to time....each time saying to myself "oh, this is waaaay better...."

Reactions: alex jo f

alex jo f

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2015
Very interesting stuff. I've thought of another question, maybe a better question, more direct to the answer im looking for. Why are mesh wick so tightly "entrenched" with genesis atties? if the difficulty of the wicking and coiling is what's keeping people away from gennies, why is it not more popular to use cotton and build it the same way as a dripper. (for that matter, why are the decks different? )

Reactions: Asbestos4004
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread