The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Why bother trying to help or even care about animals in Japan?????

Discussion in 'SmokeStik' started by lorikay13, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. lorikay13

lorikay13 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    The answer to that question is simplicity itself............because it is what makes us human. And because we can.

Brit devotes lifework to the abused, abandoned | The Japan Times Online

Japan Cat Network - Helping People Help Cats

ChipIn: Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support

but mostly......because we owe it to them.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Paralyzed Rabbit Eases Therapy for Hospitalized Children
    Born paralyzed from the waist down, Alyna had very few choices for future care. But a therapist at Israel's ALYN children's hospital took interest in her case, and offered to help her out with a state-of-the-art brace. The interesting thing is, Alyna is a rabbit — but her situation has inspired children all around the hospital's rehabilitation facilities. The contraption Alyna wears — and paralyzed children at ALYN wear — is an RGO brace, which wraps around the waist and legs. "By a system of arm movements and balance, it almost makes the wearer feel like they're walking," Lanyard says. "It's not comfortable, though, and most kids are afraid of it." Technically designed for humans, the custom brace has had the same effect on Alyna when she wears it, allowing her to move forward (though not hop) by using her front paws.

[​IMG]

2. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    hey peeps! this is an open thread. :) Go ahead and make a comment. It's okay if you don't agree.....discussion is good. We can all learn from each other. We don't do the "wolf pack" thing here at SmokeStik.....LOL....if you think I'm off base feel free to post your opinion. I will feel free to point out the error in your thought process. :lol::lol::lol:

3. CES

CES optimistic cynic Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    Powerful pictures LK. I've often wished my beasties were trained to do pet therapy or rescue or other cool stuff - but alas, their human (me) hasn't been able to manage it. But i luvs them just as they are.

Thanks for the links to the Japan rescue!

4. susie22321

susie22321 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    St. Clair Shores, MI
    What's to disagree with ???

5. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    Your welcome CES. Obviously I'm preaching to the choir so you know I'm not explaining this to you :) I am just hoping that even if people have nothing to add they will at least look at this thread and maybe think about things a little differently.

After Katrina I donated to an org that specializes in responding to disasters and rescuing pets. Be glad I reframed from posting any of those photos.....but for anyone who thinks this is silly or even not as important as rescuing people......the stories about pets that have been rescued and returned to their humans.....there is no words to describe it. These people have lost everything...and I mean literally everything....they have no possesions, they have lost their jobs, family members are missing or dead and as a final insult their insurance company has ripped them off. And the one thing that pushed them over the edge is the loss of their animal companions. Unless it's a child you know your friends and adult family can probably fend for themselves even if they can't contact you. But the horror of what could be happening to your beloved animal is sometimes too much to bare. Then you find out that someone you don't even know and may never even meet has risked their own life to save your pet. That one act of bravery and kindness can be all it takes to restore an entire family to a functioning level.

ah Susie.....another choir member...LOL Let me put it this way....I have a dear friend who feels he is a deeply spiritual person. And when I mentioned donating to charities that rescue pets he laughed.

btw.....I just LOVE that photo of the older lady and the hairless cat.....really when you look at it I guess there is nothing left to say is there?

6. susie22321

Jun 6, 2010
    St. Clair Shores, MI
    Nope :)

BTW, I left you something in the Bad Girls' thread.

7. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    Ok.....I'm sure by now you all know I am a carved in stone dog person.....but I decided to take my own advice and think about things in a different way. So I am dedicating these amazing photos to spacekitty....and all the other crazy cat ladies out there .....LOL

"I think all of our cats are therapy cats. They're just private duty therapists. Sometimes I think cats take care of us cat lovers instead of the other way around. My cat is in my lap as I type this. Don't know what I'd do without him."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A tsunami devastated street In Hishonomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, on March 15, 2011

8. susie22321

Jun 6, 2010
    St. Clair Shores, MI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.