Why buy protected cells for box mods, etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Northern CA
Good evening! I was wondering why buy a protected cell if your charger and mod have safety measures already in place? Some people I talked to said "oh! I wouldn't use anything but protected!". Unless a person is a super spaz , why would you even need protection and possibly more to malfunction? Just wondering what ya'll thought. Thanks!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A protected cell has an internal protection device, a resettable internal circuit, that blows when max current is exceeded. Those used to be popular when mech mods were the only way to get a 4.2v vape from a freshly charged battery.

Lithium Manganese (LiMn) and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiPo) are more forgiving than the older chemistry batteries and don't need internal protection.

Last edited:

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Northern CA
A protected cell has an internal fuse that blows when max current is exceeded. Those used to be popular when mech mods were the only way to get a 4.2v vape from a freshly charged battery.

Lithium Manganese (LiMn) and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiPo) are more forgiving than the older chemistry batteries.
Thanks for the explanation DaveP!

Reactions: DaveP

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Protected batteries are not suitable for regulated mods, or for vaping at all really. They are of an unsafe chemistry that'll react violently if overstressed, and in regulated mods the batteries' own protection can interfere with the mod circuitry. Safe(r) chemistry unprotected batteries with sufficient amp ratings for the intended use are the way to go.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Northern CA
Protected batteries are not suitable for regulated mods, or for vaping at all really. They are of an unsafe chemistry that'll react violently if overstressed, and in regulated mods the batteries' own protection can interfere with the mod circuitry. Safe(r) chemistry unprotected batteries with sufficient amp ratings for the intended use are the way to go.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Thanks KenD! It is so misunderstanding when you think of something that is "protected" can actually be counter protected! Vape on!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    There are protected batteries and "protected" batteries. They're interchangeable terms depending on who you speak to.

Many batteries have internal protection devices as part of their construction to help out in case of severe abuse. These are last ditch, permanent, protections that can MAYBE help prevent a battery from venting or bursting.

There are also batteries with small external circuit boards laid on one end of the battery and held in place with heat shrink. These circuit boards temporarily stop the flow of current in case of abuse or, sometimes, overvoltage/undervoltage situations. Almost like a circuit breaker. These protection circuits are usually limited to only a few amps max though and lengthen the battery. This makes the battery unusable in the vast majority of mods.

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    Northern CA
    There are protected batteries and "protected" batteries. They're interchangeable terms depending on who you speak to.

Many batteries have internal protection devices as part of their construction to help out in case of severe abuse. These are last ditch, permanent, protections that can MAYBE help prevent a battery from venting or bursting.

There are also batteries with small external circuit boards laid on one end of the battery and held in place with heat shrink. These circuit boards temporarily stop the flow of current in case of abuse or, sometimes, overvoltage/undervoltage situations. Almost like a circuit breaker. These protection circuits are usually limited to only a few amps max though and lengthen the battery. This makes the battery unusable in the vast majority of mods.
    Had no idea, thanks Mooch!

BackDoc

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 24, 2010
    Galts Gulch
    Had a kid come in my office and when he found out I'd been vaping for a while he brought me a box mod he said he couldn't get the batteries out of and that the batteries were "bad".....he had a set of batteries (looked like an ebay special no more than 10 amps and wrapper shredded )wedged in his sig 100 so badly it destroyed the mod ...he was running some low build and said" the mod wasn't powerful enough ":)....told him I'd give him a new sigelei 213, new batteries, aND a new rda if he would come by the next day and allow me to school him on some basics. ..he did , and to my knowledge he is now on ecf and is vaping a tad bit more safely!

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Way to go @BackDoc you're a stand up guy for doing that. You got some good karma coming your way for sure. My back is destroyed and I've tried everything except stem cells. Just wondering do you think there is ever a chance in the future where stem cells will be a treatment for nerve and cartilage and bone damage in a back. Also would stem cells even have the ability to fix a back. If you don't wanna answer I understand and sorry, but I just figured I'd ask because I'm basically out of options.

Reactions: BackDoc

BackDoc

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 24, 2010
    Galts Gulch
    Way to go @BackDoc you're a stand up guy for doing that. You got some good karma coming your way for sure. My back is destroyed and I've tried everything except stem cells. Just wondering do you think there is ever a chance in the future where stem cells will be a treatment for nerve and cartilage and bone damage in a back. Also would stem cells even have the ability to fix a back. If you don't wanna answer I understand and sorry, but I just figured I'd ask because I'm basically out of options.
    Hi Stabber, to my knowledge the most common Orthopedic application for stem cell therapy is with knee joints( ive had a few Amish patients travel from here, PA, to Florida for the injections ...with mixed results), Im a Chiro so my exposure to stem cell research and surgery is limited as i primarily do spinal adjustments and some nutrition .......My heart goes out to you as i have been in a similar "no win situation" , please PM me if you are so inclined and fill me in with some details as to your condition, history, treatments you've tried, etc, and ill do my best to help you find some other options to get relief, best to you my friend!

Reactions: madstabber
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread