Why can't I cook a pot roast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
My grandma made the most awesome pot roasts. They were melt-in-your-mouth tender, and had the most wonderful flavor. Stupidly, I never asked her for her recipe.

I have tried several times to make a pot roast, but mine are always tough and dry, and taste very bland. I do them in the oven, covered with aluminum foil at first, then remove the foil near the end to get some browning.

What the heck am I doing wrong? :confused:

Lauralie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2010
Here, there, everywhere!
I got one for you - I had the same problem and then I found this recipe. My hubby and I both LOVE it.

You do it in a slow cooker AND your gravy is created while it cooks - complete meal when it's done.

Slow Cooker Beef Roast Recipe: Recipes: RecipeTips.com

I add vegetables to it about four-five hours before it's done, those are hard to get right because the recipe doesn't tell you how to add them - raw carrots and cut up (kinda small) raw taters. I have even thrown in fresh mushrooms and such.

Now at first it will seem like it is just going to become a coagulated mess but just keep this lid on it lightly stir it around the meat once in awhile, add some water if you want runnier gravy, play around - I haven't messed it up yet:)

Darkwitless

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2010
KY
If you want your roast "browned" brown it in olive oil before you cook it. The key to a melt in your mouth pot roast is slow, covered cooking. So brown it first in a skillet, and transfer to a pan, season and cover tightly.

I personally just throw mine in a crock pot (aka slow coooker) with a packet of dried onion soup mix and some veggies. The most important part of my recipe is using a slow cooker liner for easy clean up!

Darkwitless

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2010
KY
Amen Della! Amen!

My grandma died 10 years ago at the age of 91. Thankfully I did manage to get a lot of her recipes the "hard" way - cooking with her, grabbing her hand to measure amounts and writing them down as fast as I could! I thought it was a pain in the .... when I did it to arrange the trip to see her - but learning how to make her apple pie and crust is now one of my fondest adult memories of her!

Della Cirque

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
Deep East Texas
Amen Della! Amen!

My grandma died 10 years ago at the age of 91. Thankfully I did manage to get a lot of her recipes the "hard" way - cooking with her, grabbing her hand to measure amounts and writing them down as fast as I could! I thought it was a pain in the .... when I did it to arrange the trip to see her - but learning how to make her apple pie and crust is now one of my fondest adult memories of her!

My Grandma passed about ten years ago too. I have many happy memories of cooking with her and she was one of the main reasons I became a pastry chef. Ohhh...the candies she made for the holidays. I was lucky enough to inherit all her cookbooks, mostly church cookbooks and they all have her notes in them. They are among my most cherished belongs.

Right on about browning the meat also!

VetSGT

Destroyer of Mods
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
kansas
AHHH my love of cooking :D Alright spot on with all this advice.
I reccomend brining...i know its odd but it works wonders on any slow cooked meat. Google it, basically salt water with herbs and spice ( whatever you may like flavor wise) I would go with flavors in the recipe.

Let it brine, once done with that sear it in cast iron skillet (will give it nice crust, and keeps it juicy I think). Always, and I mean always bring you meat up to room temp before cooking....not straight from fridge.

Then once done slow cooking, remember to pull out before the desired internal tempature has been reached meat will continue to cook after you bring it out of oven, or whatever heat source you are using.

And that all seems like terrible run on sorry....last let meat sit for at least 10-15 mins.....for secret take some butter mix with herbs and or spices....slice and serve, with the butter melted on roast (gravy if you like) and the taters, carrots etc etc...

And with carrots grill/char slightly for great smokey taste :D

Hope you get the roast done good luck :D

Tracey1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Tampa, Fl
AHHH my love of cooking :D Alright spot on with all this advice.
I reccomend brining...i know its odd but it works wonders on any slow cooked meat. Google it, basically salt water with herbs and spice ( whatever you may like flavor wise) I would go with flavors in the recipe.

Let it brine, once done with that sear it in cast iron skillet (will give it nice crust, and keeps it juicy I think). Always, and I mean always bring you meat up to room temp before cooking....not straight from fridge.

Then once done slow cooking, remember to pull out before the desired internal tempature has been reached meat will continue to cook after you bring it out of oven, or whatever heat source you are using.

And that all seems like terrible run on sorry....last let meat sit for at least 10-15 mins.....for secret take some butter mix with herbs and or spices....slice and serve, with the butter melted on roast (gravy if you like) and the taters, carrots etc etc...

And with carrots grill/char slightly for great smokey taste :D

Hope you get the roast done good luck :D

OMG!!! That sounds amazing. Where did you learn how to cook like that Vet?

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
Wow! Thanks to all of you for the great hints and advice! I am back from the store with my 2.26lb rump roast. I'm going to read over all of your posts again and try to figure out how to incorporate all of the advice together. LOL

I'm sure I will never manage to make one as good as Grandma's. But I'd sure like it to be edible. :p

Thanks again to everyone for the yummy advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread