Why can't I give up the vile weed? (A long one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
Lehigh Acres, FL
I'm fairly new to vaping (2 months) and old (40+ years) to smoking. I would LOVE to be able to switch over completely, it is so much better all around, but I will admit, it isn't easy. It was impossible for me before, so this is still magnitudes better, but after smoking for so long, the habit is so ingrained! If you have successfully switched, CONGRATULATIONS!!! and find a better thread. LOL I guess I'm writing this for me and others who can't seem to do so.
In the begining of my vaping journey, I just assumed I'd swap vaping for smoking, like the stories I'd read. When that didn't pan out, there was a period of giving up, followed by guilt, trying again, more guilt, back and forth, back and forth, until I decided it didn't have to be all or nothing...I could do both. Not really, cuz I would cave into smoking. But why when I KNOW how rotten it is??? Why do I need to keep a pack of cigarettes here or I feel panicked? Too many whys, but no obvious answers. So I really started some serious introspection. I know this won't apply to everyone but for what it's worth... when I get an urge there is that habitual repetition of a very particular sequence that I don't even think about, but I want a cigarette, sooo... (bear with me here) I look for the pack, I reach for it, open the box, take one out, grab my lighter, put the .... in my mouth, torch it up, etc. etc.etc. I'm expecting a particular weight to it, feel,flavor, the instant gratification, yadda yadda. Then there is the smell of it, the smoke spiraling up, the ash to flick. Even now, I want to be disgusted, but it makes me want to light up. Sorry, that isn't my intention! My point is...it is a mindless, spontaneous occurance, not an iota of thought goes into it, and the longer you've done it, the more ingrained and expected it is. Then, the scenario changes...you get the urge for a nic fix, sooo.... you automatically look to grab your pack, hmmm, not there, then, oh yeah, the PV. Now you are ripped back into a conscious behavior, you have to think about the sequence to follow... and the wee brain isn't happy with that. It wants it the way it is used to, the mindless mode that satisfies with every little tactile association, knowing what the outcome will be, that feeling of reward. No matter how much we hear or tell ourselves smoking is bad, our minds are made up...we don't want to change...not "now", later!! We want our crappy woobie! Everyone is happy that vaping is so similar to smoking, and that includes me, but because it is still a conscious effort, some of us are likely to still want that damn cigarette! Yes, we crave the nicotine, but that is only a fraction of it as I demonstrated above. I've quit involuntarily, when hospitalized on at least 4 occasions, and was well over the nicotine addiction. Unpleasant? Sure, but not brutal. The brutal part was living without fufulling the habitual behaviors and the lack of the "reward" you get every time you light up. So many people say they don't even like smoking, they just are addicted to them. I don't get that cuz I have always loved them, and if not, why the hell would I smoke them? But we are all different. My point is, even with the substancial help of PV's, smoking is a tough habit to break until you get it all together in your head. I don't personally know anyone outside the family who vapes, so not a good survey, but we all smoke too. I don't know for sure but I'd imagine we all tried vaping hoping it would be better for us and a painless way to quit smoking cigarettes, I know I did. I mean it doesn't make any sense to do both, and yet we all are, no matter what our aspirations were in the beginning. Why? all of the above and the simple fact that it is uncomfortable, maybe even painful to "kill" such an old "friend" who promises us relief for us the instant we reach for it. I know that sounds stupid and extreme, but so is addiction. And I'm not talking about physical dependency, I mean the psychological issues.
Thinking about all this made me even more determined to try harder, so ironicaly, I decided to give myself permission to smoke, BUT only if vaping and self talk didn't work, so it has to be a conscious decision, and I have to remove myself from whatever I am doing. (No more cooking or computing or other busy hands work with the cig hanging out of my face! I always found that revolting, but did it anyway!) I figure eventually vaping will become as ingrained as smoking, as long as I do it more often, and it brings more satisfaction than those few cigs I do decide to smoke in isolation or when I would rather be doing something else too. At least that is my intention. I do need to find some more good juices, but it worked well today, I just hope I can stay motivated and conscientious. My motivation? My grandchildren! I love them so much and if I focus on those little faces whenever I am weak, I hope that will snap me back, I want to be around them as long as possible! Wish me luck, and the same to you! I hope something I said rang a bell and keeps you trying! This forum is wonderful!

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Good Luck on your journey, but you have to make your mind up to quit and you might try a higher nic level..

Yes, the higher nic level would help curve the cravings. I still have a bottle here of 36mg when I need it. Good luck to you...you have to make your mind up to quit...welcome to ECF.

Dik

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2011
uk
I smoked heavily for 35 years and found the transition quite easy, however in the beginning I too still wanted a roll up, I put mine in the car so it was inconvenient but still accessible but kept the vape with me at all times, I only went out and got a roll up twice, but I knew they were there, good luck mate I hope you manage the transition in the end

Last edited:

jp6608

Sep 3, 2011
MA
Reading your post reminded me of a chat I had with my older brother. He said smoking can be a chemical/biological addiction. It can be an physical addiction.. or a social addiction or emotional addiction or it could be a combination. (i'm sure there are other types of addictions related to analogs. i'm just stating the ones that my brother thought that I had) I told him about my plans on trying to quit by trying out this thing called 'e cigs' that i heard about. I knew for sure I had a physical addiction.. I loved feeling the cig between my fingers and grabbing a light and flicking the ashes.. it just came naturally to me. I knew I also had a chemical/biological addiction. Thats why my first ecig was a standard kit that looked like a real cig with the highest level nic I could find (32mg). My experience on the first vape just blew me away.. I thought ecigs was going to be a 'replacement' for real cigs. I was wrong. Ecigs are so much more then a replacement. Analogs just seemed inferior to me at that point. I said to myself "why would I smoke analogs when ecigs provide way better taste and experience and reward then analogs ever did".

I'm not saying that you need to go get a ecig that looks exactly like your real cigs. Maybe you might try getting a pcc that looks similar to your real pack so you still go through the same motions when you have the craving. (opening the pack, taking the ecig out, etc). Maybe what's lacking is having the TH that kicks that craving followed by the taste of your favorite juice. Another suggestion is try a mod that looks nothing like a cig. There are mods that look like pipes. Maybe you'll enjoy feeling the pipe MORE then feeling the cig between your fingers.

CharlieGirl, I truly hope that you're able to kick the habit for good. I use to hear 'it's never to late to quit' and I kinda laughed at that.. I mean, I smoked for 26 years.. but one day I talked to a buddy of mine and he said the human body is an amazing thing. If you stop smoking, your body will recover no matter how many years you've smoked. You just have to give your body enough time.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I'm one that had no intention of quitting.
Got my first because I wanted something to use while visiting my daughter, SIL, and my granddaughter.
I would have gone back and forth if it weren't for that and the fact that I didn't take any analogs with me.
The want was there and I admit I was a bit grumpy for awhile but after a three weeks visit, I knew I'd never light up again.
That did not mean I didn't want to---I just didn't.

Bookmark your story and when you have a weak moment read it!

Dagar

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2011
Hampton Roads
CharlieGirl,

I'm 2.5 weeks into being analog free and every now and then I still want to light one up. After 20+ yrs of being an analog user it is just natural to want one.

I think we all know how you feel. I loved smoking. We didn't smoke in our home so it breaking the analog habit at the computer and in the house was already done. I still go outside to vape and I don't have too! This morning I fussed at hubby for vaping in the bedroom. Why? I don't know! It's vapor. It just still seems wrong to vape indoors.

However don't think for one moment when I get up in the morning I don't grab my coffee and e-cig just like normal and head out the door to have my morning vape and caffeine ....it is the best part of the day.

It's a process, everyone goes at their pace.

Don't beat yourself up. Keep going. Try some of the suggestions the veterans give on the site.

Keep posting on here and keep your support system going...

Have a great day!

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Some people switch over very easily, it takes others of us a bit longer. I wasn't planning to "quit" and my brain doesn't do well when I "can't" have something, so I gave myself permission to have a cig when i wanted one...and over about 6 weeks i gradually stopped wanted to smoke. I needed 24 mg/ml to stop the cravings (though i don't need that level anymore). The idea that you try vaping and talking and THEN smoke if you still need to sounds like a reasonable plan- keep it a conscious choice.

There is also a subset of vapers who need more than the nicotine- there are are other alkaloids in tobacco (and stopping smoking is about the nicotine AND about some of the other compounds in tobacco smoke, as well as the habits and associations that go with smoking). So if you find that even 36 mgs doesn't combat the cravings you might look at Other Alternatives to Smoking to supplement.

WVvet

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2011
WV
Try the suggestion to make it more uncomfortable to smoke than to vape - I had already moved my smoking habit to the porch, so when I started vaping in the house it was so much easier and less inconvenient it was a fairly easy switch. I did both for about two weeks (although greatly reducing my 2 PAD habit) then one a day till the last pack ran out. Didn't buy more, thought I would miss it but really don't beyond a vague little craving now and then that I ignore...

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Charliegirl,

You sound a lot like me. I'm in ym 40's, LOVED to smoke and feel panicky when I reach for a cig. I started with 18mg but kept a bottle of 24 mg for those panicky times. The 24 would make that panic in my chest go right away! My husband is a smoker and everytime I felt crazy and wanted to walk over and steal one of his, I would hit the 24mg and it worked like a charm.

What mg are you using?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I sure sounds like you need a better model PV and increasing the strength of your eliquid. Both would help you quit completely. But quitting is harder for some than for others. I continued to smoke a few a day for over a month until I bought a better PV that had a better battery and provided more consistency. Then I was able to quit smoking completely.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
My suggestion. First get your cigs out of that pocket. You have other pockets. Then get your ecig stuff in order - strong enough equipment for you with spares, extra chargers, backups. etc. Then take the cigarettes and lighter out of your pocket, put them in a ziplock bag, and stick them in the trunk of your car. They will be there for emergencies. Even better, do that with a brand you don't like as much, and throw out the ones you do like.

For the first 2 weeks I carried my cigarettes - security blanket, afraid of failure, afraid of equipment problems. I screwed up twice just automatically lighting one and put it out immediately. Then I moved the security cigs and lighter to the wrong pocket, not their old usual pocket to fix that problem. I started carrying the ecig PCC in the old cigarette pocket. I did have problems twice where I screwed up charging and had no charged battery and I smoked one cig while doing a partial charge. I didn't carry spare charged ecigs nor have chargers or passthrough at work (just the PCC). Once I got spares and more chargers (actually carried an extra charged ecig too) then the cigs and lighter went into the trunk and they may or may not still be there. I never went looking for them.

Last edited:

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Last edited:

Nunnster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Tampa, Florida
My suggestion is not to give up. If you truly want to give up smoking it will come. For me it took over 2 months, 3 different PV's and who knows how many different juices to find what worked for me to give them up completely. I am still a noob and I am only about two weeks in since my last smoke, and I did have a hick up in the road and bought a pack of analogs, but I didnt beat myself up about it. Each person will have a different experience quitting. I myself for the first 3 days w/o analogs locked myself in the room, gave my wife my pack of smokes and didnt come out for anything other then water and bathroom. I Puffed on my PV like it was keeping me alive, and whole heartily I believe it is. I still want a cig, but each day that goes by it gets a little easier. On the 4th day I went to the gas station and got myself a drink. It took all of my will power to not say "and a pack of newports shorts in a box please" But when I got out of the store and didnt have a pack in my hand, I knew that I could do it. I tell you all this because I know its not easy. For some it is, for others its the hardest thing they have done. It is for me and Ive been to war 3 times... Who knew that quitting smoking would be the hardest thing I have done in my life. Its the nature of the beast. Take small steps and you will get there.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
CG, don't give up...just keep on vaping until it gets better than smoking...I'm in my late 50s, smoked 3ppd for 40 yrs and quit the funkys completely in 5 days...not everyone is the same and for some, the physical act and psychological addiction is much harder to beat...I found much like dormouse, I put the ciggies in an inconvenient place and my PV is their regular place...this helped greatly...uping the nic level and moving to a LR carto helped as well...the one thing I miss, is taking that ciggy out of my pocket and whipping out that ol' Zippo and flaming up the end of the funky...that first hit...ahhhhhh so good(but not really that good)...that is where putting the funkies out of reach helped...when I got the urge, I would vape like a steam engine...if that didn't work, I would flame up...but, by using a little will power and hard headed determination I was able to overcome...I posted to another, think of it as a War Against Funkarettes...everyone avoided is a battle won and WHEN you win enough of those battles, you will find the WAR has been won!!!! Keep on Vaping!!!!!!!!!!!
madjack:2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread