Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
How are you using it? Did you cut a piece just wide enough to fit in your coil? Did you split the pad in half first? When you cut it, did you cut with the grain or against it?

I'm currently using KGD, which is basically the same, and I find it to be much more forgiving than cotton balls, even using slightly too much. That being said, it IS cotton, and if you use too much/are choking it, it will taste like cotton.

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
I've tried it all. Sally Rayon, organic cotton balls, shiseido, and KGD cotton. For my taste buds, KGD is the real deal, very easy to work with, never tastes "off" even from the first hit, and the stuff lasts forever even in drippers above 35W. Expensive, maybe, but one box should last several years. In that context, $12 is nothing.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I've tried it all. Sally Rayon, organic cotton balls, shiseido, and KGD cotton. For my taste buds, KGD is the real deal, very easy to work with, never tastes "off" even from the first hit, and the stuff lasts forever even in drippers above 35W. Expensive, maybe, but one box should last several years. In that context, $12 is nothing.

Ok, I am a huge Rayon fan. I have read plenty of posts praising KGD. I've never tried it, so why not give it a go. Got a link where I can purchase some?

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
I watched a video on it.. split the cotton, took the middle part out to use, cut with the grain, cut in half, rolled it and put it in two coils.

well, there's the issue.

just split in half, cut a strip as wide as your coil, and use as is. dont just use the middle section, dont roll or twist it up.

you're ending up with way too much cotton...and you're using the fluffy, less directional, more cottonball-ish portion of the pads.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Ok guys, picked up the box of rayon on the way home. Rebuilt my coils cuz my others were gunky and blaaaa. Wicked with rayon and the flavor is very nice, vapor production is pretty darn good as well. Heres the issue. I subohm pretty low typically .16-.25 and the rayon does not keep up with this. The ... cotton on the other hand wicks much faster. So what did i do you ask?? Ripped the rayon out, then hybrid wicked. japanese cotton in the middle of some rayon. Now we are talking. Great flavor from the rayon and with the ... cotton in the middle the wick now keeps up with my sub ohm builds. Vapor production is back up thanks to the cotton. I personally say if you are chasing flavor and are building .6 .8 and up then rayon is definately for you. If your building .3 sub set ups, I probably wouldnt drop the 11 bucks on the box. But now I have 500ft of it. HAHA.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
$7 for 4oz of Pure Hemp fiber, killed off cotton and everything else for me. Hemp for life. Wicks faster, tastes better, doesn't dry hit anywhere close to any other wick I've used and wicks last 2 weeks! Dry hits don't burn, they just taste dry and you know to re-drip. I've been using hemp for very low builds, some as low as .09 but generally between .12 and .25 ohms, have had no issues and have also converted several friends over to pure hemp fiber.

BOUNTIFUL - Spinning and Weaving Hemp - 4 oz - 7.20

I don't even clean or boil the stuff anymore, I just pick at the fibers until they're in a nice line, roll them and pull them in SNUG to my coils, the hemp wicks so good that you need the stuff decently tight to the coils because unlike cotton the hemp collapses when it's saturated with a liquid. There is also a 10-15 minute break in period where whatever juice you're using may taste a little bit "Earthy" with hemp however if you vape down real close to a dry burn you can get rid of that taste right away. After the "break in" period for the wick my juices have never tasted better. It takes a bit of getting used to and fiddling with but I'm just loving hemp, easily the best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread