Why didn't vaping come a decade or two earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
Just talking with my girlfriend and we were wondering why vaping didn't come about a decade or two before it did. Like in the 90s or 80s.
For the most part the technology is fairly simple. It's not like computer technology which had to get more and more advanced over the years.
It's simple enough that people can build coils, mods and liquid themselves without a considerable investment or needing to own a factory.

The only two reasons I can come up with are either (or both):
1. The battery technology wasn't there. Not sure when lithium ions started hitting the market (late 90s I think?).
2. Cigarette prices and laws didn't push people into it yet.
Seems like once smoking in public places started becoming illegal that's when vaping started taking off shortly after. That could just be coincidence though.

I started smoking as a teenager in the mid 90s. Would have been nice to have never started. If vaping had existed then there is a good chance I would have just gone that route from the start. Which is not good compared to doing nothing, but certainly better in my opinion than smoking.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hon Lik, a Chinese pharmacist invented the ecigarette around 2003. Before that, no one had perfected a method of delivering nicotine like a cigarette. Prior to Hon Lik's invention the ecig didn't exist. I'm sure that lithium batteries played a part in the creation of a device that had enough power to heat a coil sufficiently and provide long vape times.

Hon Lik - Wikipedia

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I think it is a combination of factors, starting with the batteries. Then the spark was lit by Hon Lik, and third the internet. I see the internet as a major factor because it allowed many bright folks from all corners of this world to communicate and share info on what and where, and also hacks that became the drive for products to be improved upon, so ECF had a pretty big role in it as well.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hon Lik, a Chinese pharmacist invented the ecigarette around 2003. Before that, no one had perfected a method of delivering nicotine like a cigarette. Prior to Hon Lik's invention the ecig didn't exist. I'm sure that lithium batteries played a part in the creation of a device that had enough power to heat a coil sufficiently and provide long vape times.

Hon Lik - Wikipedia
Sort of. There were attempts. All of them had one problem or another though. Batteries are a big issue, but that is just energy density. Doing a device with Nickel cadmium cells would require a 4 battery device. Real big honker. Or it could be tethered to a power supply. There was a device patented in the 1930’s iirc, but the inventor wanted more than anyone would pay and it was eventually bought by a tobacco company that shelved it.

I personally suspect that if 90’s era HNB stuff was combined with modern ecig juice technology a device could be made that needed no electricity at all. The biggest problem with the old pre electric HMB was it was difficult to light and the flavor was awful. Both of those are fixable. Still wouldn’t be as good as an ecig though because dosage amount is fixed. That is the big big win of ecigs I think. User variable dosage.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yup I was teasing the husband about "nothing happening in his generation." He was like, "Sweetheart, we invented the internet."

I paused, for a bit, and then said, "So like you are the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems?" LOL.

The internet is so great, and so terrible. I will note he was not claiming to have INVENTED the internet (we all know that was Al Gore) but being a small cog in the wheel that has swollen to what it is now.

I made him apologize for FB. He did it, but I don't think he meant it.

Anna

Reactions: Nermal

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There was a device patented in the 1930’s iirc, but the inventor wanted more than anyone would pay and it was eventually bought by a tobacco company that shelved it.

Can’t say I’ve heard that version of the story. To my knowledge the 1930’s device was developed for administrating medicine, not nicotine.

We’ve had the battery technology for decades, lithium-ion development dates back to the 70’s with Sony releasing commercial products in 1991. Panasonic introduced the common 18650 size in 1994

No idea what type of battery was used in Hon Lik first e-cig. He did attempt to vaporize a nicotine based solvent using high frequency piezoelectric but found a heating coil to be much more effective. None the less, the power requirement meant many different battery chemistries could have been adopted.

@stols001 – cats invented the internet centuries ago, but lack of opposable thumbs hindered it’s development.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Can’t say I’ve heard that version of the story. To my knowledge the 1930’s device was developed for administrating medicine, not nicotine.
a distinction without a difference. Nicotine arguably even IS a medicine. It’s definitely a drug.
We’ve had the battery technology for decades, lithium-ion development dates back to the 70’s with Sony releasing commercial products in 1991. Panasonic introduced the common 18650 size in 1994

No idea what type of battery was used in Hon Lik first e-cig. He did attempt to vaporize a nicotine based solvent using high frequency piezoelectric but found a heating coil to be much more effective. None the less, the power requirement meant many different battery chemistries could have been adopted.

@stols001 – cats invented the internet centuries ago, but lack of opposable thumbs hindered it’s development.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yup I was teasing the husband about "nothing happening in his generation." He was like, "Sweetheart, we invented the internet."

I paused, for a bit, and then said, "So like you are the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems?" LOL.

The internet is so great, and so terrible. I will note he was not claiming to have INVENTED the internet (we all know that was Al Gore) but being a small cog in the wheel that has swollen to what it is now.

I made him apologize for FB. He did it, but I don't think he meant it.

Anna
There are charts about this stuff. The trend seems to be logarithmic. It’s close to standing on its head now. Each generation has produced more than the last and the next has and will produce even more than the earlier one did. Every innovation produces its own problems though. Hence problems are running rampant.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
a distinction without a difference. Nicotine arguably even IS a medicine. It’s definitely a drug.

The device was developed for medicinal administration. The components of that medicine are not defined. The device was not developed as a “nicotine” only delivery system, such as the modern e-cigarette, and the topic of discussion. A patent was filed in 1927, granted in 1930. The device never reached market, and it is questioned if even a prototype was developed. There is no documentation whether BT purchased the patent – at least that I have found. It is credited as being the first electronic vaporizing device. But vaping, as in the action of inhaling a vaporized product, can be dated back to early man. It is said Egyptians heated rocks to vaporize and inhale various herbs, including cannabis.

Herbert A Gilbert developed what could be considered the first battery powered vape device in 1963, with it’s intended purpose as being an alternative to smoking tobacco. Patent granted in 1965, prototypes made, but the device never reached the market. The device never used nicotine, but flavoured water

Phil Ray (Apollo program and man behind the microprocessor), along side his physician developed a smoke free nicotine delivery system sometime in the 70’s. This was filter soaked in nicotine which you just inhaled.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah one of my pdocs mentioned that BT was considering not going the combustion route back in the 50s but they felt it would not "catch on" or whatever. They'd have to release just "it' and there would be revolts or something.

I think the husband was referring to being the first generation to get it (the internet) from the military and use it.

It was pretty primitive in college which is when I started using it, LOL. It was still a way to like, interact with people, and it was fun. Many greet ups. I remember playing scrabble with the cutest little dude, he would have been super sexy if only full size, who convinced me (and others) that giant sort of "chunks' of trash were like, floating through the internet. LOL.I am so glad I beat him soundly.

It was also great for hooking up, if you were into that. I mean, I was the hottest member of my group at that age (I have no clue what drew me to the internet, actually) and I frustrated A LOT of engineers. I TOLD them I had a BF but like quite often they would not listen. That was not my problem although some of the other chicks got moody and like were like, "Let them get it out of their system, so....

But I was like, "This group is called alt.angst as far as I am concerned I am providing a VALUABLE service. If you guys don't know how to listen that is NOT my problem.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The device was developed for medicinal administration. The components of that medicine are not defined. The device was not developed as a “nicotine” only delivery system, such as the modern e-cigarette, and the topic of discussion.
which isn’t used as one either as the whole CDC vitamin E problem has shown
A patent was filed in 1927, granted in 1930. The device never reached market, and it is questioned if even a prototype was developed. There is no documentation whether BT purchased the patent – at least that I have found. It is credited as being the first electronic vaporizing device. But vaping, as in the action of inhaling a vaporized product, can be dated back to early man. It is said Egyptians heated rocks to vaporize and inhale various herbs, including cannabis.
hot knifing, a dozen other things
Herbert A Gilbert developed what could be considered the first battery powered vape device in 1963, with it’s intended purpose as being an alternative to smoking tobacco. Patent granted in 1965, prototypes made, but the device never reached the market. The device never used nicotine, but flavoured water

Phil Ray (Apollo program and man behind the microprocessor), along side his physician developed a smoke free nicotine delivery system sometime in the 70’s. This was filter soaked in nicotine which you just inhaled.

Hadn’t heard of this last one before. Sounds like the progression of a lot of inventions. Various parts being developed over time until they all come together.

The issue I think is that when the technology for something becomes possible it is not automatic that it will immediately enter the marketplace. Probable, but not automatic. Did the elements exist? Yes. Einstein didn’t really invent anything. What he did was take a bunch of disparate but already known bits and stick them together into something simple that made sense. For that he was Einstein.

• Informative

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
which isn’t used as one either as the whole CDC vitamin E problem has shown

Not sure where the Vit E Acetate and CDC comes into this. There has been no reports if the devices used by those who contracted lung illnesses were strictly e-cigarettes or devices specifically developed and marketed to the cannabis industry. Electronic Vaping THC products has been in place since the late 80’s and the evolution of it’s devices has run side by side with the e-cig industry. Willing to bet the 2 have borrowed many technologies from each other. In fact, there are many e-cig companies that cater to both industries. Vaporesso’s CCELL was developed by its parent company SMOORE (not the marshmallow treat) and marketed to both THC and e-cig industries – just to give an example.

I was looking at a portable THC vaporizer (as they are called) the other week. Small, internal battery with voltage control. Magnetic detachable and refillable pods. Looks identical to modern e-cig pods. But was released back in 2014 – long before our current pod trend. The name/brand escapes me, but if I remember I will post it.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Zelda holding the liquor hostage again?;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not sure where the Vit E Acetate and CDC comes into this.
you made a statement about the 1930’s device being not made specifically for nicotine and the 1990’s device being specifically for nicotine. My point was the 1990’s device or devices of similar design in a nod to your below point, has been used non specifically. It repetitively has been the contents that make the issue.
There has been no reports if the devices used by those who contracted lung illnesses were strictly e-cigarettes or devices specifically developed and marketed to the cannabis industry. Electronic Vaping THC products has been in place since the late 80’s and the evolution of it’s devices has run side by side with the e-cig industry. Willing to bet the 2 have borrowed many technologies from each other. In fact, there are many e-cig companies that cater to both industries. Vaporesso’s CCELL was developed by its parent company SMOORE (not the marshmallow treat) and marketed to both THC and e-cig industries – just to give an example.

I was looking at a portable THC vaporizer (as they are called) the other week. Small, internal battery with voltage control. Magnetic detachable and refillable pods. Looks identical to modern e-cig pods. But was released back in 2014 – long before our current pod trend. The name/brand escapes me, but if I remember I will post it.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Zelda holding the liquor hostage again?;)

Holding it hostage? More like drinking it!

bd5.jpg

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Anna
He didn't, but to his everlasting regret, he did invent the Electoral College.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Finally an internet cat picture I can get behind!

I've never seen a drunken cat, I am either guessing they get REALLY mean or really placid. It's okay, I don't need to find out for reals.

You know, some people ARE treating their pets so much like their children I am starting to wonder about like, medical MJ for pets. And by this I mean a NON medical MJ user being a "caregiver" for their pet with arthritis, kind of deal. Vets use tons of drugs like that were developed for humans. Etc.

I could see it. I don't count the pet owners who get their pets "high." But a LEGIT MM caregiver for a pet.

If it ever happens and you find out and don't tell me? I will be very, very sad. It's not the pet I care about so much (although if it HELPS, YAY) but this is societal phenomenon I would HAVE to witness.

Anna

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
There were "vapor" devices back in the 80s but they were used for cannabis... basically just a heating plate design with a chamber and tube to draw the vapors (much like the "heat not burn" thing) The one I remember was called "The Tilt"... the catch phrase was "get tilted" ;) I made my own version on the cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: Sloth Tonight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread