Why do atomizers' resistance change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
My personal experience is that the net resistance changes for one of two reasons:

1) A degradation of the "weld" between the internal wiring and the ends of the nichrome coil.

2) Actual degradation of the nichrome coil itself.

#2 is more prevalent. As the PG or VG "vaporizes away", there is slight oxidation/erosion of the surface of the nichrome coil. The wire continues to get thinner and thinner... slowly raising the resistance. And then, at some point, it simply blows "open".

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
How do I check the ohn resitance on my 510 atty and what should it be at?

What setting on my multimeter?
First off saying '510' these days doesn't mean much. Which 510 do you own? Lots of semi-clones out there based on the original Joye 510 whose atties come in at about 2.2-2.3 ohms when new. The clones are always higher.

My new Joye atties come in at about 2.2 ohms. On the same meter a new SLB/DSE 510 atty comes in at about 3 ohms. The Joye I'm using now is at 1.7 ohms (about 6 weeks old). But don't expect a cheap meter to give correct readings, though it should be useful for comparisons.

8886 Reference: Measuring resistance - ohmmeter

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
didn't know there was a difference ? So are you saying the Joye 510 is better?
I prefer it. The lower ohm Joyes produce a much better throat hit (if that is important). The SLB/DSE 510 (it has a washer inside) at about 3 ohms pulls less current. It produces decent vapor but doesn't 'hit' like a Joye 510, it's more like a DSE 901. It also appears more cheaply built with a thinner casing that does not hold Joye 510 tips very well. The first one I had did not last long (could have been a fluke), I just picked up another to see how it lasts. But it seems that lately SLB/DSE products have not been very reliable.

Keep in mind the original high praise and recommendations for the '510' were for the Joye 510 (or those renamed/custom branded Joye 510s). Not these cheaper semi-clones that came later.

Seeing as I can get two authentic Joye 510 atties from LiteCigUSA for $15.90 shipped I see no reason to use the less impressive semi-clone atties.

DMS2009

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Roxboro, NC
I prefer it. The lower ohm Joyes produce a much better throat hit (if that is important). The SLB/DSE 510 (it has a washer inside) at about 3 ohms pulls less current. It produces decent vapor but doesn't 'hit' like a Joye 510, it's more like a DSE 901. It also appears more cheaply built with a thinner casing that does not hold Joye 510 tips very well. The first one I had did not last long (could have been a fluke), I just picked up another to see how it lasts. But it seems that lately SLB/DSE products have not been very reliable.

Keep in mind the original high praise and recommendations for the '510' were for the Joye 510 (or those renamed/custom branded Joye 510s). Not these cheaper semi-clones that came later.

Seeing as I can get two authentic Joye 510 atties from LiteCigUSA for $15.90 shipped I see no reason to use the less impressive semi-clone atties.

Thanks WillieB, I didn't know that. I will now make sure I buy the Joye's and see if thats better.

Rykk

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Florida
Scott B - Since you seem to be proficient with an ohm meter, a question: I have had a couple of m4xx attys quit working but the resistance across the heater coil (atty center cond. to case/threads) measures pn the order of around 220-230 ohms. Is an atty like this salvagable by, say maybe anH2O2 burn or am I merely seeing some other path to gnd/common and the coil has truly blown open?

lulubell360

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Gulf Shores, AL
It is working again? It stopped Sun. it is now Wed. These things take a lot of maintenance don't they. it is 3/10 & I haven't smoked a cig since 2/5 & don't mind the upkeep process because it is worth it I just don't know if I'm doing it properly. I will say this Eric @ save a smoker here in AL where I got some of my products has been very, very helpful & always answers the phone & emails.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
They don't need a lot of maintenance - occasional blow-out, rarely a hot shower, keeps them running for weeks, if not months. Towards the end a hot bath, or even a dry-burn, but that's hardly a lot, either.

Helps a lot to wipe any liquid that went astray from the threads, and quite often, though. But that takes about 2 seconds when you change battery anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread