Why do people vape when they never smoked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
I'm not too sure why one would ever want to "Start vaping" if they haven't a reason to start in the first place. I can see long term ex-smokers using this to diffuse a craving in a social setting (especially around friends that still smoke analogs).
In truth Nic. dose have some pretty amazing medical benifits but if I'd a sugguestion it wouldn't be to inhale it, that just puts more stress on the lungs..ect.
Again just a trend for now, it will settle down a bit. What I fear the most is that this will be used by the FDA to say "See, it is attracting New smokers" and they will run with it. I guess you could alternately ask the question is "Why to people start smoking Analogs that have never before" and you'll find your answer there in your question.
I don't agree with it unless you've a reason to do so, not the "Just because its cool"...that one is not an answer truthfully. Hope this helps. :)

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
They're idiots.

Those trendy/hipster types just need to realize they're idiots and maybe they'll stop. They're just as bad as wannabe gangsters/wiggers. I've run into too many of them at parties (friend knows way too many) and I want to stab 98% of them in the face.

Unless you were addicted to smoking cigarettes/cigars/chewing you have no business picking up an ecig.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
They're idiots.

Those trendy/hipster types just need to realize they're idiots and maybe they'll stop. They're just as bad as wannabe gangsters/wiggers. I've run into too many of them at parties (friend knows way too many) and I want to stab 98% of them in the face.

Unless you were addicted to smoking cigarettes/cigars/chewing you have no business picking up an ecig.

I disagree. Most start vaping to quit smoking or switch to a healthier way to get nic. People will always start useing nicotine just like people start using caffeine. Vaping offers something to do. It's relaxing. Some people use it as a dieting tool. Some people see it and say wow if that is a healthier way to "smoke" why not try. Why get hung up on the reason? It's just as easy to ask someone why they started smoking. It looks like fun. And it is fun. Would you like it if someone started calling you names for picking up a hobby that you honestly thought you would enjoy? Really?

I really don't think vaping is just an ex-smokers club. And I would never start labeling vapers who never smoked trendy, hipster or whatever else you want to call them. That is rude.

I use to be a smoker. But I don't have to vape. I quit vaping for 3 months. It is not something that I need. But it is fun. And yummy. So I vape.

I think you have no business telling others what there business is to try or not. Live and let be dude.

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
I disagree. Most start vaping to quit smoking or switch to a healthier way to get nic. People will always start useing nicotine just like people start using caffeine.

I mostly agree with you there. I do have an issue with people "starting to use caffeine" though.

Vaping offers something to do. It's relaxing. Some people use it as a dieting tool.

Those are not valid reasons IMO. It's not something to take up so you have something to do. It's only relaxing as a ( an ex) smoker due to stuff that was recently discussed in another thread that I don't feel like looking up. Using nicotine as a dieting tool is bull..... Get off your ..., go exercise and eat better.

Some people see it and say wow if that is a healthier way to "smoke" why not try. Why get hung up on the reason?

I question anyone's intelligence that is not a minor that thinks taking up smoking is a good idea. Minors legally can not purchase e-cigs so they shouldn't be using them.

It's just as easy to ask someone why they started smoking. It looks like fun. And it is fun.

Smoking is not fun. I took it up because all my friends were smoking. I bet 90% of the people on this board started smoking to fit in or because their parents smoked.

Would you like it if someone started calling you names for picking up a hobby that you honestly thought you would enjoy? Really?

People know how bad cigarettes are for you. If you start smoking knowing the dangers you are an idiot. I'm an idiot for starting. Luckily I found vaping and managed to quit before it killed me.

I really don't think vaping is just an ex-smokers club. And I would never start labeling vapers who never smoked trendy, hipster or whatever else you want to call them. That is rude.

I hate hipsters and trendy people. They suck. I'm guessing you're one of them since you're taking offense to this.

I use to be a smoker. But I don't have to vape. I quit vaping for 3 months. It is not something that I need. But it is fun. And yummy. So I vape.

I spent around 15-16 years of my life smoking a pack a day. I have a nicotine addiction so vaping is something I need. If I couldn't vape any more I wouldn't go back to smoking though. After quitting for 3 months I don't see why you'd go back. The long term effects of vaping aren't known. You obviously don't need it, so why subject yourself to the risks? Saying vaping is "yummy" is just one more way to get non-smokers vaping (who have no business doing it in the first place).

I think you have no business telling others what there business is to try or not. Live and let be dude.

Where's the fun in that? Half of my point in the previous post is that hipsters suck. I'm a beer drinking, sort of white trash metal head. Of course I'm going to hate hipsters.

Last edited:

josho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
CA
I dont know, I look at it as the same way as people who hookah. Not every hookah user is a PAD smoker, or a cig smoker at all. When I use my hookah, it isn't for the nic fix it's for the flavor... the same as when I smoked cigs.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as someone else's decision doesn't impact me, I couldn't care less.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
I was a smoker, I stopped smoking, 3 years later all hell breaks loose,

Choices:
A: Buy a pack of cigarettes
B: Buy a disposable e-cig

Thought process:
Electronic Disposable :what do I have to lose? £6.00
Pack of Cigs: 3 years of hard work down the drain.

I was a Smoker, I Need to Vape, why? bare bones answer? I am a Nicotine Addict.

But what I really love about your statement is how often I heard that statement in similar context:

I'm not an Alcoholic, I don't Need a drink, I only drink because it makes me feel good, and I really like the taste. I'm just being social. Why can't people understand that?
Yeah, 25 years later they're sitting in hospital bed with Cirrhosis of the Liver, What Fun.

Same applies to Vaping, we don't know the long term consequences of Vaping, if young people choose to Vape instead of smoke current thinking says, ok it's safer than smoking, however, we don't know enough yet.
I'm not happy with any young person starting with either, smoking or vaping just as I wouldn't be happy with them starting any habit that may prove detrimental to their health.
Odd that sticking patches on didn't become trendy or used as a dieting aid, I wonder if that would change if they come out with a designer tattoo sticker line.:blink:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I disagree. Most start vaping to quit smoking or switch to a healthier way to get nic. People will always start useing nicotine just like people start using caffeine. Vaping offers something to do. It's relaxing. Some people use it as a dieting tool. Some people see it and say wow if that is a healthier way to "smoke" why not try. Why get hung up on the reason? It's just as easy to ask someone why they started smoking. It looks like fun. And it is fun. Would you like it if someone started calling you names for picking up a hobby that you honestly thought you would enjoy? Really?

opinions were asked for and he gave his opinion. vaping isn't a hobby like knitting! it is putting something in the body

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
The danger with this comes from the fact that the FDA has already stated they fear electronic cigarettes will influence people to take up the habit.

One on side Im glad that they are at least choosing a healthier alternative than smoking.

On the other I think Id have to agree with others posting that I hope they are using 0mg. If only for the fact that Id hate to see someone totally twist one of the better aspects of electronic cigarettes around and use it as a springboard to start smoking analogs.

Using them as intended, to get off cigarettes and switch to a healthier alternative= GOOD

Using them as a gateway to smoking analogs= Evil ......not to mention incredibly stupid and shortsighted but people are people and do worse all the time.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
opinions were asked for and he gave his opinion. vaping isn't a hobby like knitting! it is putting something in the body

Exactly, anything (and I mean anything) put in to one’s body is bad. Yes that ranges from soda to even vitamin water, but it’s the delivery system that makes it bad. Oddly enough your lungs can't "Expel" the inhalant; it just sort of sticks to your bronchi and gets absorbed in to your system. The delivery system is fast, it’s direct in to the blood stream which then gets dispersed throughout your body.
Most hobbies you can't die from, but when playing with these understand that it’s not a hobby, it’s not to look cool. Yes you can OD on it; yes you could kill yourself on it and without proper restrictions or the responsibility to handle it then it will get you in the end.
Trust me I did that whole "I'm drinking to look cool thing" and I took it to a hobby and social level, then to a party level. You know that almost put me six foot under one day. Luckily I survived but I learned a powerful lesson, things like this, like smoking and drinking require great responsibility and are not to be toyed with lightly. They are not at all a hobby per say and nor are they anything you want to start. If you want a hobby then join a club, get a puppy or take up a sport, they are less likely to kill you. I beg of you please stay away from smoking (anything) and drinking alcohol.
Learn from my mistakes, don't let them be yours
Thanks for listing, I appreciate it... :)

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
You are all defending someone who is attacking would be fellow vapers in the newcomer room. I don't care why they start. There is nothing wrong with nicotine or caffeine when used in moderation, as with drinking or any other adult activity. So the FDA should not even care about who "starts" ether, aside from age appropriation.

This line of thought will lead to prescription only vaping to get people off cigs. "The ex-smokers only club".

No there is a totally different issue at play here. And people have been doing it forever, although I can't understand why. They separate into groups and call each other names. It's very immature. And not something that should happen in a new comer room. I don't care if he gave his opinion. He was not being nice. And this is the welcome mat to out vaping society. I don't want to be associated with people who call names are not welcoming to others. ALL others should be welcome.

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
I was a smoker, I stopped smoking, 3 years later all hell breaks loose,

Choices:
A: Buy a pack of cigarettes
B: Buy a disposable e-cig

Your post is exactly why I picked up my first ecig about 5 days ago. I was so close to buying a pack of smokes and throwing my 2 year quit right down the drain. I think for me this will be a life long struggle and I have decided if vaping keeps me from going back to analogs I will do it for life. I don't understand why anyone would want to start a nicotine addiction, but I can see why people would start vaping for the flavors much like those that like to enjoy a good cigar from time to time.

Last edited:

pdxrex

Verified Member
Not sure what is immature about making a decision we all made at one point. Not agreeable with the hipster or trendy point of views either. It shouldn't matter what or why on when someone takes up vaping or smoking. We're all big boys & girls, & judging people is just another negative contribution to our society.
If they're vaping 0mg liquids I suppose that's fine but if they're not I think that's pretty immature. That's my opinion, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread