Why do so many people like vaping at low ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcoolbp

ECF Veteran
This thread has a lot of good answers:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/405451-why-do-many-people-seem-favor-low-ohm-coils.html

Short answer is they are doing it for mech mods which have a relatively low, relatively fixed voltage. Check this quote:

Right, Stats. (congrats on your build!) Lower ohms require less power. It may/may not have started there; but, with mechanical mods, you get one voltage. So you build a coil of a resistance that suits your needs. The rest, I figure, is preference and trend.

edit: BTW my sweet spot is at 20-25 watts, although I'm happy up to 35.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
The vapor is warmer and there's more of it. I personally like cooler vaper as I think it has better flavor and it's easy on my throat. I have started making some ~1.7 ohm coils for my bolt though. I went down to 1.3 ohm and some of my mixes changed flavor too much. I'm not sure, but I think it might be the things that caramelize that causes it. In other words, if your juice is a coil gunker (most of mine are lol) then you may not like high wattage. I could be wrong about what's causing it, but all I know is that ~1.7 ohms seems to be as low as I can go.

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
I'm a noob at low resistance RBA's with mechanicals, but I can tell you that I never liked high voltage/wattage vaping on my regulated mods, but, I am thrilled with sub ohm vaping using AGA-T2 (SS mesh wick so far) and a mechanical. Provides amazing vapor, flavor and throat hit. In fact, it is so intense, I lowered my nic. Never experienced anything like it before. I think what I have learned is that the clearo's I have used can only feed juice at a limited rate, and that if you vape with too much voltage/watts, the juice gets vaporized faster than the wicks can keep up with - resulting in burnt taste. SS mesh wicks in RBA's (using the RBA tilt) can provide enough juice to the coil to vape at ridiculous power (watts) without burning the juice. Thus producing an amazing vape. But, if you don't tilt properly, it tastes like crap, too.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
With 28 gauge wire.
I vape .8 coils.

The vape is COOLER, More flavorful and far more dense than I got on eGos with 1.7 Ohm 510 Attys

I honestly think it may be virtually impossible to burn juice in this setup... I can vape it dry and get a nasty silica hit... But the juice itself doesn't really burn... I mean after a couple days I get residue on the coil, but never a burnt taste and I can just dry burn it off... And I'm good to go

There is literally so much more vapor, I had to cut my nicotine from 18mg to 12mg... Vaping 18 with clouds like this made me physically ill. LOL

I didn't understand people claiming 20+ watts didn't burn juice until I tried it... It made no sense to me, because I used to burn juice at 10 watts... Using VV devices.

The wire gauge is a HUGE factor that most people never even consider.

------------------
Sent using psychic mind control powers... and Tapatalk

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Because it is, in every way, a superior vape. Total control, too. If you wrap a fat wikicoil with wide spacing between wraps you can get the mellowest (although extremely full flavored and vaporlicious) vape you've ever had @ .8-1Ω. If you want a firecracker, you can do tightly spaced wraps on a thin wick. Also, too, tho, the variety in the sub ohm world is surprising. 1Ω and .5Ω are VERY different from each other. Different zip codes for those two.

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
Ugh, I'm so confused. All I know about ohms is you double them to match what watts you're using. Ex, I have a 2.0 ohm clearo, so turn my batt to 4 watts.

But now I'm reading you're doing low ohms with higher watts... So I don't understand why that works. :(

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

That is confused indeed. :) Your "rule" about double the ohm to set your watts makes little sense, 4 watts is an incredibly lousy vape with a 2 ohm coil, try 4 volts instead.(Which will give you 8 watts)

This thread is about mechanical mods and using them with low resistance setups. :)

mrcoolbp

ECF Veteran
I'd mentioned this in another thread; but, hey . . . . . . I've never heard anyone say, "yeah, I was vaping sub-ohm; but then I tried this 2.5Ω on a VAMO, and, man, that's way better!" (heard the inverse a lot)

Lol man, trying to master gennies on a vamo before I actually take you at your word and grab a mech, though I'm sure it will happen eventually.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Lol man, trying to master gennies on a vamo before I actually take you at your word and grab a mech, though I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Yeah, I did that too. That is good stuff, a good place to be. Before you go buying mech, tho .. . . . . . . . . . . I'm just getting into the REO Grand goosebox and am smitten. (RM2 atty) Amazing stuff!

IMAG1779-1.jpg

26 gauge Kanthal, Nextel ceramic, ~.7Ω

Last edited:

SharonMM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Lakeville, MN
That is confused indeed. :) Your "rule" about double the ohm to set your watts makes little sense, 4 watts is an incredibly lousy vape with a 2 ohm coil, try 4 volts instead.(Which will give you 8 watts)

This thread is about mechanical mods and using them with low resistance setups. :)

VOLTS yes I meant volts, not watts. So what kind of volts do you need to use for a low ohm thing? Cool vapor and lots of flavor sounds good to me!

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
VOLTS yes I meant volts, not watts. So what kind of volts do you need to use for a low ohm thing? Cool vapor and lots of flavor sounds good to me!

Sharon, the low ohm vaping we're talking about is not possible on a variable voltage PV, you need a mechanical mod which gives you the voltage from the battery unregulated. Which starts at 4.2 volt fresh, then you spend most of the time around 3,7-3,8 volt

A regulated PV can't handle the current draw created by going below 1 ohm.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I been vapin for a long time at low ohms. I prefer it more than 6volts. There is nothing finer than having an extreme wet moisturized flavorful vape at .6 ohms at 3.8 volts. Very safe with the right 18650 batteries. In this setup your only using about 6.7 amps and on 18650 goes past 10 amps. Very safe and a wonderful vape.
Feel free to check my many Videos On youtube.

Bishopheals . - YouTube

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC

You don't get a choice.

Because it's not using variable voltage, A battery comes off the charger at 4.2v and over use drops to about 3.7 before you take it out and charge it. In order to do this, we use "mechanical" mods... In addition to their lack of variable voltage... they also lack any sort of protection circuit.

This is a completely different world of Vaping than what you are used to... You need to forget basically everything you know about vaping...

ALSO:
Super Low Resistance Vaping has inherent DANGERS and should not be tried without a full understanding of how and why it works... If you, or anyone else reading this doesn't understand Ohms Law, own a multi-meter, or know the ins and outs of battery safety and why certain batteries simply won't suffice for this application... DO NOT Try This At Home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread