Why do some people think you have to quit vaping after quitting smoking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
I was talking to a co worker of mine and she was talking about how she was using the patch to try to quit but it wasn't working. I suggested vaping and she said that it was crazy because people are just getting addicted to that instead of cigarettes and she wanted to quit completly.

I told her that it was true that some people do seem to depend on it just as much but it did make you feel better. I also told her that I had been vaping for over 3 years and did it because I LIKED it...not because I had to . I enjoyed smoking when I did it but didn't enjoy the coughing and the smell that came with it.

I told her if she did decide that the patch wasn't going to work that she was welcome to ask me any questions but she just rolled her eyes and walked off....oh well....

I was talking to a co worker of mine and she was talking about how she was using the patch to try to quit but it wasn't working. I suggested vaping and she said that it was crazy because people are just getting addicted to that instead of cigarettes and she wanted to quit completly.

I told her that it was true that some people do seem to depend on it just as much but it did make you feel better. I also told her that I had been vaping for over 3 years and did it because I LIKED it...not because I had to . I enjoyed smoking when I did it but didn't enjoy the coughing and the smell that came with it.

I told her if she did decide that the patch wasn't going to work that she was welcome to ask me any questions but she just rolled her eyes and walked off....oh well....

So instead she is addicted to an expensive patch. or gum or whatever. To me that is same reason she won't try vaping haha. The only difference is... it doesn't seem to be working.

If you have a spare machine maybe see if you can get her to just try it for a week. I know my friend did that for me. So I didn't have to go out and buy stuff and spend money.... It would suck to spend that money and not use it.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
That's the thing... they'd rather use the patch *because* it doesn't work, so when they keep smoking, they have an excuse! Vaping terrifies them, because... (cue scary music)... IT MIGHT ACTUALLY WORK!

Andria

That's the thing... they'd rather use the patch *because* it doesn't work, so when they keep smoking, they have an excuse! Vaping terrifies them, because... (cue scary music)... IT MIGHT ACTUALLY WORK!

Andria
That is a very good point. I wanted to try vaping probably 6 months before I ended up trying it. My Ex kept giving me a million reasons why not too. We both were smoking lol. Water in the lungs. blah blah. I'm like well than swimming is dangerous than. lol Anyway I ended up caving in every time. 2 weeks after our break up I bought an Ecig hahahaha :) I think she was scared, because anytime I brought up the idea of quiting smoking it was like a big NO...

I admit also I didn't want to quit one habit for another as well though.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That is a very good point. I wanted to try vaping probably 6 months before I ended up trying it. My Ex kept giving me a million reasons why not too. We both were smoking lol. Water in the lungs. blah blah. I'm like well than swimming is dangerous than. lol Anyway I ended up caving in every time. 2 weeks after our break up I bought an Ecig hahahaha :) I think she was scared, because anytime I brought up the idea of quiting smoking it was like a big NO...

I admit also I didn't want to quit one habit for another as well though.

Right! Their excuse for why they "can't quit" is built right in, to the patch! And as we all know too well, any excuse for not quitting was a good thing! :lol:

Andria

Right! Their excuse for why they "can't quit" is built right in, to the patch! And as we all know too well, any excuse for not quitting was a good thing! :lol:

Andria
yup. My go to was that I need to focus on my work, and I can't if I quit haha. My work requires my brain, Thing for me was I was only telling myself that. It wasn't like I had anyone else to really make the excuse for lol, but I did that for probably 5 years +

Some people are just not ready to quit, and only they can decide when.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Guess its some kind of self-castigation of not wanting to be a sinner anymore the hard way.

Like if success comes too easy they feel sort of cheated, belittled in their efforts.

Vaping like second-class quitting ...

Well, whatever floats her boat. And if adding misery to hardship is her thing - so be it :)

Getting rid of the tobacco sticks with a relaxed smile and a whiff of nice flavour instead... she doan know wha she be missing :)

I figure that's what the whole ANTZ thingamajig boils down to :

They view smokers as weak-willed sinners, so they must atone by suffering while weaning themselves and being allowed back into the fold of the righteous, pure ( nonsmokers ). Now vaping happened and instead of clawing and crawling and fighting ourselves out of this state of sinfulness , we just take well-scented limo ( aka PVD's )and slide out of it almost effortlessly...
Sinners getting away with sinning ( to some extent )...

No wonder then that they all up in arms - ANTZ must feel like they've just gotten shafted ... big-time :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Guess its some kind of self-castigation of not wanting to be a sinner anymore the hard way.

Like if success comes too easy they feel sort of cheated, belittled in their efforts.

Vaping like second-class quitting ...

Well, whatever floats her boat. And if adding misery to hardship is her thing - so be it :)

Getting rid of the tobacco sticks with a relaxed smile and a whiff of nice flavour instead... she doan know wha she be missing :)

I figure that's what the whole ANTZ thingamajig boils down to :

They view smokers as weak-willed sinners, so they must atone by suffering while weaning themselves and being allowed back into the fold of the righteous, pure ( nonsmokers ). Now vaping happened and instead of clawing and crawling and fighting ourselves out of this state of sinfulness , we just take well-scented limo ( aka PVD's )and slide out of it almost effortlessly...
Sinners getting away with sinning ( to some extent )...

No wonder then that they all up in arms - ANTZ must feel like they've just gotten shafted ... big-time :D

Yeah, when I told my ex that I had quit by using vaping, he says "but you're still addicted to nicotine." I said, the same would be true if I was using the patch -- but I wouldn't be as comfortable -- so is your objection that it doesn't count, if I don't suffer?" He had nothing to say to that. :D But I told him that I was finally done talking to him; if he couldn't rejoice with me that I had FINALLY quit smoking (which he gave me grief about for YEARS), by WHATEVER means, then not to bother calling or emailing me anymore. I haven't heard from him. :D

Andria

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
To me, vaping is the most effective anti smoking device ever devised , i think most "need" vaping more so in the beginning to beat the cigarettes but as time goes on they vape because it's something to do more so than actually needing it .

It's an interesting little hobby all in itself as long as you don't lose your freaking mind over it and end up living under a bridge and pan handling to survive.

Yeah, when I told my ex that I had quit by using vaping, he says "but you're still addicted to nicotine." I said, the same would be true if I was using the patch -- but I wouldn't be as comfortable -- so is your objection that it doesn't count, if I don't suffer?" He had nothing to say to that. :D But I told him that I was finally done talking to him; if he couldn't rejoice with me that I had FINALLY quit smoking (which he gave me grief about for YEARS), by WHATEVER means, then not to bother calling or emailing me anymore. I haven't heard from him. :D

Andria
Hell yeah, some people are just negative! :) sounds like you're better off without him. :p

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

Andria

Sounds like a real winner , good riddance .

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
To return to the OP's initial question... when people ask me when I'm going to "quit DOING THAT", I just shrug, and say, "Probably never; why should I?" They have never yet given me any good reason why. About the best they can come up with is "Because..." and a really puzzled look. The really clueless (like my mother!) say things about nicotine causing cancer -- which I firmly rebutted: TAR causes cancer; nicotine is quite similar chemically to caffeine, and no one has ever found a cancer risk for either.

Andria

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
There is a general assumption that when one switches from smoking to vaping
it's trading one form of addiction for another and or its still the
same addiction. The former would be true if we switched to other forms
of illegal addictive substances. The latter would be true if it was the same
addiction or whether or not it could be termed an addiction in a legal
or clinical sense of the word.
Nicotine alone in the doses found from vaping is relatively harmless if not
in fact completely so in otherwise healthy individuals. Nicotine sans the smoke
or vapor is safe for users and bystanders. The FDA has said as much. This
why patches and gums are OTC now. That just leaves the e-juice itself without
the nicotine that might be of concern. Aside from unproven concerns related
to certain flavorings there is still no indication that vaping in and of itself
is causing harm other than by hardware mishaps.
It's my personal opinion is if one switched to vaping there is really no reason
at this time to then transition off of vaping unless one does so for personal
reasons. There certainly is no established medical reason to do so.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Last edited:

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Whenever I get asked this question, I just tell them the truth--that I don't really know, that I want to see how I get on with just vaping before taking any further steps, and that I'm in no rush because switching entirely to vapor is a fat lot better than continuing to pound away 30-40 cigs a day for the rest of my life. Most people just nod, like they get it.

The thing I think the OP's patch-user fails to understand is that it is completely possible to create a nicotine "step down" program for vaping that is analogous to the one supplied with the patch. Once they're down to, say, 1.5mg juice, they could just put down their vaporizer, and then they're done.

Also, practically everyone knows that smokers have to smoke at regular intervals, or else bad things start to happen. To be free of this addiction clock is a strong motivation for quitting smoking. I think the reason people think we must also quit vaping to be free is because a lot of vapers still must vape at regular intervals to avoid the beginnings of withdrawal (I certainly do). The Gold Standard is to be free of the addiction clock and the need for nicotine all together. The patch seems to offer that freedom, no matter whether it works or not, and vaping for like does not. When I want a cigarette, I love that vaping seems to help, and for that reason I continue to vape. But I don't like being subject to the addiction (which for me is quite real, even after a year of only vaping).

Reactions: bbnet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread