why do vapers get vape tongue and smokers don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Great question! I think we kinda did get smokers tongue but if you we like me you didn't realize it. We burnt them up so that things didn't taste the way they would to a nonsmoker. Overtime your taste buds recover but now I hate things I thought I loved. I've only had vapers tongue I think twice. It finally made me drink more water plus I switch flavors all day so I feel like that helps too.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Just a guess but, probably because with vapor your tastebuds are getting blasted with intense flavors all day and eventually your taste receptors become dulled to those types of tastes.
With cigs you'd smoke one every hour or so, so your receptors had time to recoup in between. Plus you did have a permanent smokers tounge, it just wasn't as obvious. If you go smoke a cig now it'll taste like 5lbs of crap because you can actually taste again.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
But like sometimes i can't taste the vapor so i want a new flavor....but with cigarettes I was satisfied with the same brand....and the last two days i have been smoking due to that, ugh

especially the mornings are bad, i need something strong that will kick me in the head!
I don't feel like I'm getting that from vape

plus I've been stressing hard in life in general lately...and cigs seem to give me something for that, that vaping doesn't

even though the cigs don't taste good anymore

gah!

Last edited:

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk
I think DoggieTony has a point - most of the liquids we vape are strong(er) flavors that we bombard our tongues with all day long. If we ate the intense foods all day, I'm sure it would be the same, we would be numb to taste after a while. I can't explain it scientifically and am only guessing, but it seems the vapor's tongue phenomenon is only temporary and once you are past that, you can taste again, and with more discernment, if that makes sense. I know people have tried cucumber/mint type juices and citrus like (lemon, orange) to help with vapor's tongue - those may help.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
Just a guess but, probably because with vapor your tastebuds are getting blasted with intense flavors all day and eventually your taste receptors become dulled to those types of tastes.
With cigs you'd smoke one every hour or so, so your receptors had time to recoup in between. Plus you did have a permanent smokers tounge, it just wasn't as obvious. If you go smoke a cig now it'll taste like 5lbs of crap because you can actually taste again.

I don't know...maybe but when i smoke i smoke more than one an hour! If i can...

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
But like sometimes i can't taste the vapor so i want a new flavor....but with cigarettes I was satisfied with the same brand....and the last two days i have been smoking due to that, ugh

Sorry this is happening to you. Are you drinking plenty of water? This is key! I find that switching up flavors often helps too. If I vape one thing for too long I can't taste it after a while but if I vape something else for a while (I can taste the new flavor) & come back to it I can taste it again. Also get you a good tongue scraper. Sadly, it's sometimes a phase that we go through when we're transitioning to vaping.

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk

especially the mornings are bad, i need something strong that will kick me in the head!

plus I've been stressing hard in life in general lately...and cigs seem to give me something for that, that vaping doesn't

gah!

It's a habit, one we were well-accustomed to for a long time. It takes time to break. And remember there are many chemicals in cigarettes that only exacerbate the addiction process. You may be someone who actually enjoys smoking or you may just be seeking to fill that void in the same way you always have (or have for a long time - by smoking). It's not the same - vaping and smoking - at least for me it's not. And it never will be. And I will always miss smoking (most parts about it), so I understand. What mg liquid are you vaping right now?

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
I think DoggieTony has a point - most of the liquids we vape are strong(er) flavors that we bombard our tongues with all day long. If we ate the intense foods all day, I'm sure it would be the same, we would be numb to taste after a while. I can't explain it scientifically and am only guessing, but it seems the vapor's tongue phenomenon is only temporary and once you are past that, you can taste again, and with more discernment, if that makes sense. I know people have tried cucumber/mint type juices and citrus like (lemon, orange) to help with vapor's tongue - those may help.

at first i started out with stuff from the local vape store and it was really strong flavored and chemical and sickening to me after a short time...then i discovered some online shops and some more real subtle flavors that i really liked. (I have only been vaping for about 6 weeks)
but now it seems like i need a stronger flavor again...

I'm using a twist with a protank. I don't know maybe it's because so many things i have ordered don't taste like much because they need to steep.....I have a bunch of stuff from high desert vapes and alice in vapeland that have to steep cuz they are so mild now or even no flavor

Last edited:

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
Sorry this is happening to you. Are you drinking plenty of water? This is key! I find that switching up flavors often helps too. If I vape one thing for too long I can't taste it after a while but if I vape something else for a while (I can taste the new flavor) & come back to it I can taste it again. Also get you a good tongue scraper. Sadly, it's sometimes a phase that we go through when we're transitioning to vaping.

I haven't really been drinking enough water, it's true, I don't have time while i work, and then it's hard to drink tons at night...especially when it's cold out and summer is gone.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
It's a habit, one we were well-accustomed to for a long time. It takes time to break. And remember there are many chemicals in cigarettes that only exacerbate the addiction process. You may be someone who actually enjoys smoking or you may just be seeking to fill that void in the same way you always have (or have for a long time - by smoking). It's not the same - vaping and smoking - at least for me it's not. And it never will be. And I will always miss smoking (most parts about it), so I understand. What mg liquid are you vaping right now?

I'm using 18 mg. I was a pack a day or more smoker, right now i'm smoking dunhill lights in the blue pack, or normally i did yellow pack American spirits, they aren't supposed to have chemicals..maybe I need to try WTA vapes, or just have more will power.

It is a habit though, a comfort zone i fell back to in a way i guess...

It's like now i've been wanting a good strong tobacco flavor vape with high nicotine, maybe that's what i need instead of fruity stuff and mild stuff, maybe up it to 24 mg, idk

I have started taking an old bottle of zyban that i hadn't really tried before

Last edited:

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA

gah!

Just a guess. Maybe because smoking a cigarette is much more than taste. There's a whole lot of other stuff that affects you. There's a bit of a high in cigarettes that isn't in vaping. The nicotine gets to your brain much quicker and there seems to be other stuff as well. I never get the buzz from vaping that I often got from cigarettes.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
Just a guess. Maybe because smoking a cigarette is much more than taste. There's a whole lot of other stuff that affects you. There's a bit of a high in cigarettes that isn't in vaping. The nicotine gets to your brain much quicker and there seems to be other stuff as well. I never get the buzz from vaping that I often got from cigarettes.

True! I guess when you smoke normally you don't notice that buzz, but it's there, you notice it when you haven't smoked in a while and you smoke again, Isn't there a way to get that with vaping?
I guess even with vaping, even though it seemed so easy at first, it still involves that dreaded and difficult thing...will power

Last edited:

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk
at first i started out with stuff form the local vape store and it was really strong flavored and chemical and sickening to me after a short time...then i discovered some online shops and some more real subtle flavors that i really liked. (I have only been vaping for about 6 weeks)
but now it seems like i need a stronger flavor again...

I'm using a twist with a protank. I don't know maybe it's because so many things i have ordered don't taste like much because they need to steep.....I have a bunch of stuff from high desert vapes and alice in vapeland that have to steep cuz they are so mild now or even no flavor

You may want to invest in some other tanks/tops/clearomizers and maybe even a dripping atomizer. I have Pro Tanks and use them daily, but they come with cons - they can mute flavor, especially if you are using the factory replacement coils in them (not building your own). I tried Alice in Vapeland within the first few weeks of vaping and could not understand why people raved about them. Months later I was able to enjoy their more subtle flavors. I would put their juice away for a few months and revisit them later. You will likely want them then.

I did not like most flavors for a long time, then found a vendor that I really like and that is what made the difference for me. I would recommend trying some tobaccos/tobacco flavors, but I would not go over 24mg of nicotine.

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA
I'm using 18 mg. I was a pack a day or more smoker, right now i'm smoking dunhill lights in the blue pack, or normally i did yellow pack American spirits, they aren't supposed to have chemicals..maybe I need to try WTA vapes, or just have more will power.

It is a habit though, a comfort zone i fell back to in a way i guess...

It's like now i've been wanting a good strong tobacco flavor vape with high nicotine, maybe that's what i need instead of fruity stuff and mild stuff, maybe up it to 24 mg, idk

I have started taking an old bottle of zyban that i hadn't really tried before

Personally, I prefer liquid with a tobacco base. The other flavors don't do it for me. Have you tried some of the Halo tobaccos? Strong flavor with a really good throat hit. It's not going to be like a cigarette but Torque56 is one of my go tos when I want something strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread