WHY do you want to vape in public???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com
The discussion / debates / information & opinion sharing over in the Why Vapers are getting a BAD NAME. thread has been great!

But... it has raised a question in my mind: WHY do you want to vape in public?

And the reasons I've seen so far are far and away compelling & logical.

But I personally have a motivation for wanting to vape in public that I have not seen yet:

I want to be a catalyst to saving a smokers' life.

When I find something that either brings emotional based joy to my life, or in this case, opportunity to bring great & wonderful physical benefit to my life, I want to tell the world!

For example, the experience of being involved in singing & Barbershop Harmony and my HarmonyTown Barbershop Chorus has brought untold riches & joy to my life. I spread the news and knowledge of Barbershopping at every opportunity.

Vaping is a way to literally save my life, and enhance my life beyond my wildest of fantasy or expectations (figured I'd die next to the ashtray with .... in-hand),

Of course, we all have recognized & embraced this wondrous tool & technology - that's why we are here in the ECF universe.

But what about the other smokers? I care about them too - and not just the ones I happen to be related to.

Shouldn't I try and help bring this 'discovery' to those who don't know yet?

To those who may be being persuaded by, and held back by the lies/deceptions/misinformation/propaganda?

Yes, yes and ($#*%(*& YES

Many ways to do this, from blogging / social networking / real world networking / letters to editors-politicans-etc / peititions / bumper stickers, etc etc etc.

NOTE: Join CASAA.org right now!!!

But one of the most influential & effective methods of spreading the word is by presenting opportunities for people to see, and to "vicariously" experience themselves. Influential & effective opportunities to learn & understand.

Vaping saves & enhances lives.

That is why I vape in public

How about you?

(ps - if you are about to suggest that I advocate for 'blowing clouds in faces', please do the adults here a favor and shut-up now & find somewhere else to to go. Thanks for your cooperation :cool:

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Why do I (want to) vape in public?

1. Because I enjoy vaping
  2. Because it feels comfortable / natural to do it wherever I go
  3. Because the collective perception around the activity is still being formed, and I firmly believe that demonstration of the activity is far better way to make an impression than talking about it. Both serve a purpose, but talk only goes up to a point.
  4. Because the science of the activity/situation is on the vapers side. As a smoker, I'm not used to that. I like engaging in a public activity that brings no undue harm to those who are around me.
  5. In light of #3, and of #4, because it does provide golden opportunity to have the discussion with the curious members of public who have heard about it, but never seen it in the wild.

I would like to note what I've said elsewhere on ECF which is I am not prone to doing it in public spaces where there are crowds gathered. Even if I saw another vaper that I didn't know in a crowded area (which is yet to happen), I don't believe I would go out of my way to join with this person and openly vape. I do advocate for vaping everywhere, with respect, and don't see openly vaping in crowded spaces as inherently disrespectful. My desire to not do it is, I believe, more of shyness on my end, than something to do with respect. I would also just add that if I were in crowded space, I would be prone to find somewhere in the current location, that is less crowded, to vape and then be in mental place of it is natural to do this here and/or vape like I (and vaping) belong here.

Thus far (in 2 years), I am batting a 1.000 when vaping in public and have not heard any complaints. Admittedly, I haven't had lots of curious members approach me, but there's been a few. I'm just so inclined to do it naturally, I don't feel self conscious of what is going on around me. I do think that would change if I were in heavily crowded space. Actually, as I typed that last sentence, I recall last summer openly vaping in stands of a MLB game with a friend who also vapes, but didn't have his gear with him. Yeah, I was a little self conscious in that moment, but it really came off as non-issue as focus from all around us was on the field of play.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    I vape in public because it is a free country and am still allowed to do it, for now. Also, I am always open to satisfying someone's curiosity about the subject. As far as cloud making, I save that for the house. :2c:

Why do I (want to) vape in public?

1. Because I enjoy vaping
    2. Because it feels comfortable / natural to do it wherever I go
    3. Because the collective perception around the activity is still being formed, and I firmly believe that demonstration of the activity is far better way to make an impression than talking about it. Both serve a purpose, but talk only goes up to a point.
    4. Because the science of the activity/situation is on the vapers side. As a smoker, I'm not used to that. I like engaging in a public activity that brings no undue harm to those who are around me.
    5. In light of #3, and of #4, because it does provide golden opportunity to have the discussion with the curious members of public who have heard about it, but never seen it in the wild.

I would like to note what I've said elsewhere on ECF which is I am not prone to doing it in public spaces where there are crowds gathered. Even if I saw another vaper that I didn't know in a crowded area (which is yet to happen), I don't believe I would go out of my way to join with this person and openly vape. I do advocate for vaping everywhere, with respect, and don't see openly vaping in crowded spaces as inherently disrespectful. My desire to not do it is, I believe, more of shyness on my end, than something to do with respect. I would also just add that if I were in crowded space, I would be prone to find somewhere in the current location, that is less crowded, to vape and then be in mental place of it is natural to do this here and/or vape like I (and vaping) belong here.

Thus far (in 2 years), I am batting a 1.000 when vaping in public and have not heard any complaints. Admittedly, I haven't had lots of curious members approach me, but there's been a few. I'm just so inclined to do it naturally, I don't feel self conscious of what is going on around me. I do think that would change if I were in heavily crowded space. Actually, as I typed that last sentence, I recall last summer openly vaping in stands of a MLB game with a friend who also vapes, but didn't have his gear with him. Yeah, I was a little self conscious in that moment, but it really came off as non-issue as focus from all around us was on the field of play.

What they said^^^^^^

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2014
    Detroit
    It's my right! I'll vape where I want! I literally can't go 5 minutes without a vape...:p But I'm not addicted...

Easy does it there big guy...

Your lashing out may be a lingering after-effect of what happened to your poor Indians at the end of last year's baseball season! ;))

:D

(from the other end of Lake Erie, that may not thaw out until August)

stevegmu

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2013
    6992 kilometers from home...
    I could have sworn "mistake by the lake" was Cleveland's official nickname ...

No offense intended, especially considering my proximity to Detroit(!) :ohmy:

Could be the same nickname just by a river instead ;)

I live near Cleveland, but I'm not from Cleveland, although sports teams from where I spent most of my life- DC ,are just as bad as the Indians and Browns...

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 9, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO.
    I vape openly when outdoors, unless it's crowded, cramped enviroment. Then I stealth vape with little to no exhaled vapor. I vape almost everywhere with discretion for those around me. I don't think anyone should hide, or be ashamed to vape in public. Show a little class and respect for others, and it probably won't be an issue! It never has been for me. Vape on....proudly!

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Hillsboro, OR
    I agree 500% with the OP about being a catalyst for saving a smoker's life. The only times I vape in public is outdoors with the occasional stealth vape indoors if nobody is around and there's good ventilation.

I don't believe in the whole vaping openly in "no smoking" areas because it's just asking for trouble. Whenever I see someone vaping in public and someone asks them to put it away, almost every time they come back with the "but it's just vapor" line. That to me is just so snooty and pretentious, it's no wonder we get such a bad name. What if you're running high PG juice and the person next to you is sensitive to the stuff? What if you're running some crazy 36mg nicotine and give an unwanted buzz to someone in the same room as you?

The ignorance most people have about e-cigs is overwhelming, but I don't think we should be fighting it by blowing vapor in everyone's faces (not literally, or maybe even literally). My philosophy is if you can smoke there, you can vape there. If you can't smoke there, ask or stealth vape if nobody is around.

I just wanted to end my post with a quick story because I've been dying to tell it:
    I'm a college student in a college town. Within my network of friends, I'm one of the only ones that knows about, let alone actually vapes. The few people that did know what a vape was only know about "dry herb" vapes -not exactly a good image. I'm driving one day, chucking vapor in my car left and right, and suddenly I see police lights behind me. I check my speed, I was speeding, not a huge deal, but then I realized how bad it looked that there was vapor all in my car. The cop walks up to my window, I open it up and all the vapor spills out - I was out of my car and being searched in no time (college town, you can figure out why). The cop comes across my vape and asks what's in it and I explained flavored e-juices and what not. The traffic stop turned into a conversation about what vaping was, how it's kept me away from cigs, and how the cop only knew about herb vaporizors. She asked me where I got my particular set up and I told her, and she let me go without any troubles.

What I got out of that traffic stop was that people have no clue what we (the vaping community) are actually doing with these things, and the only people that care to learn are the ones that ask. Cigarettes and herb vaporizers and etc are bad in the eyes of most people and unfortunately, vaping is tied to those things. It's your right to do what you want with your vape (until legislation says otherwise), but at least be courteous of other people. I don't want people thinking vapers are *******s for chucking vapor everywhere and refusing to put it away because they "technically" can.

Sorry for the long post lol. Oh, and I got off with a warning for going 15 over lol, I wonder what set up the officer got :laugh:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2014
    Detroit
    Dannyrl...

That's a great story about your close-encounter with, and possible convert of the copper!

Regarding vaping in public, and in order to avoid reopening the topic here, I would recommend visiting the Why Vapers are getting a BAD NAME thread and hear both sides of the debate.

I happen to be very biased in favor of it, and there are many sharing of your position.

Both sides were exhaustively 'vetted', and you might find it an opportunity to challenge, or possibly affirm, yours. :)

Love the story!

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2014
    Detroit
    Scott, I think that's an excellent reason! I am new to vaping and haven't had anyone tell me to put it away or go outside yet but my boyfriend was incensed (lol) because he works at the USDA and they instated a 'no e-cigarettes" policy inside the warehouse. I don't know the reasons but it seems silly.

The reason is that, particularly since it's a government facility, there is a concerted effort to vilify, demonize & lie through their teeth about this disruptive technology, and 99+++% safer health choice that can feasibly destroy the tobacco industry, cause serious harm to the drug companies, and 'obsolete' the entire tobacco control industry.

The war (not hyperbole) against c-cigs/vaping is global in presence, funded beyond belief and well structured to persuade the masses to believes the lies thus supporting the bans, and failing persuasion, resort to coercive dictates from those in power. (Europe, NYC, CA, etc etc etc)

As a new resident to the vaping community, please visit CASAA.org for a jump-start to learning more about this war against our life-saving choice to vape.

Welcome and save a smoker's life: spread the word!

Charley Crystal

ECF Veteran
    Feb 12, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan, United States
    I only public vape at the bar. I am new to this, so it feels weird to vape indoors, lol! The benefit of vaping is not freezing my booty off buying don't think I would vape in a grocery store or anything. I actually hate vaping at the bar because everyone asks questions about me quitting analogs and since I haven't quit I feel ore shamed. When I went outside to smoke no one bothered me but I missed a lot of the fun. The place we go is vape friendly which is nice however being regulars everyone has to have a conversation about it. I also don't know anything about my equipment so I can't answer questions. I could see though if I were done with analogs and knew more I wouldn't mind having the conversation.

The other night someone made me feel really stupid for vaping. I tried explaining how I can vape twinkles instead of eat them and get my nicotine and was met with a look I didn't like.

I think initially I thought I would enjoy this indoors more but I personally still feel frowned upon. So many people say just quit or have to tell me their story of they quit using x method and I've friend everything except antidepressants and I'm not entirely comfortable with that. Plus I actually enjoy smoking and vaping. Why is that such a bad thing? I don't it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread