Why does a full tank give better flavour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Does that include a fresh coil??
No not for me.
My theory is the heat the coil generates, "contaminants" (lack of a better word) the liquid as it empties...backwards through the cotton to the liquid.
When refilled again the "contamination" is diluted and the flavor is restored.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
A full glass of beer always tastes better!!

That’s not a true analogy. Blindly, a half glass of beer at the same temperature and carbonation should taste the same as a full glass.

There is a phenomenon called “Sighted Influence”. Blindfold yourself and have someone to else fill your tank where you blindly vape both half and full tanks. See if you can detect a difference.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Maybe just gravity. I have got into the habit of doing "primer puffs" between vapes to keep my coil saturated, and half way through a tank, I open up the top to "equalize" air pressure, so it (almost) makes sense that a full tank simply has more mass and gravity keeps your coil more saturated. I'm actually really tired and might just be babbling nonsense at this point.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
No not for me.
My theory is the heat the coil generates, "contaminants" (lack of a better word) the liquid as it empties...backwards through the cotton to the liquid.
This.

Reactions: stols001

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've noticed that a full tank of juice gives me considerably better flavour than a half empty one. Especially with the boro tank on my BB. Wonder why. Something to do with air pressure?
Any theories out there?

I don't have a BB, but I don't notice a flavor change when I refill any tank I've used in the last few years. OTOH, I seem to remember a few tanks from years ago that did this. I think they tended to lean out a bit as the juice level dropped.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Agree with @Punk In Drublic

Our brains are wired to think in a certain way, a full table (or plate) of food also tastes better than a sparse one. The later is probably evolutionary smart, time to slow down.

On a philosophical note, it's much easier to analyze what we perceive than it is to analyze bias in our brains. Your experience is absolutely real, but also that is how your brain is wired. Juice running low, turn off pleasure sensors, vape slower ;)

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Maybe Darren but I like to think that my analytical abilities are switched on enough to be aware of, and discount this as the reason. No, this is a real change in flavour in the sense that any juice can have a stronger or weaker flavour based on device settings etc. Too many test runs at different times of day for this to be purely subjective.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    No not for me.

I agree with this. If you notice, usually the juice gets darker in the tank. That is when the flavor seems to change.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
    May 9, 2015
    Maybe Darren but I like to think that my analytical abilities are switched on enough to be aware of, and discount this as the reason. No, this is a real change in flavour in the sense that any juice can have a stronger or weaker flavour based on device settings etc. Too many test runs at different times of day for this to be purely subjective.

No worries. Your subjective experience is absolutely real, but to get an objective truth would require an experiment that is hardly worth performing. If we could measure vapor in both cases we would know, but it still would not change your subjective experience, and your experience is real, it is what you experience, also true. I bet you could already guess my job is partially about measuring, separating out placebo effects from objective measurable effects. What is true it that people's subjective experience is entirely real too ;)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I believe it to be a pressure thing too, more weight of the juice the better it wicks. Maybe it's not the weight, but something to do with the air displacement, in any case the more weight of juice, the better it flows onto coil as you suck....I also think you would see this more in a tall tank compared to a short tank...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    No not for me.
    This makes some sense in theory. Not all of the components in e-liquid is vaporized into vapor. Some things like flavoring agents and other byproducts of vaporization get left behind in the wick material, and are what makes wicks look dark and nasty over time. Those byproducts can then leech back into the tank's reservour to "contaminate" it. Adding additional e-liquid to the reservoir dilutes the contaminants.

I used to know vapers who would waste (throw out) any remaining e-liquid from a near empty tank as opposed to just refilling their tank. They claimed the remaining e-liquid was bad tasting.

If you notice, usually the juice gets darker in the tank. That is when the flavor seems to change.
    The darkening of the juice is primarily from oxidation of the nicotine and flavoring agents when exposed to oxygen. It's possible oxidation affects the flavor profile, and a good reason to keep our e-liquid bottles capped. It's also probably evidence of unvaporized byproducts mentioned above.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Different components will vaporize at varying percentage by temperature. As you vaporize off juice the ratios of what remains will change. VG concentration will rise as PG vaporizes at a lower temp. Flavors are up for grabs in how they'll distribute. And you have the issue of heated juice that didn't vaporize will resorb (well sorta) and will also affect perceived flavor. So noticing a difference isn't necessarily subjective. Maybe more aware with better taste buds.

Or not

Edit: what @Baditude posted like 2 minutes before I hit reply. Same idea

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread