Why does my PG free liquid burn better and is thinner than 100% VG liquids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will shortly be known on these forums as "The domestic girl" because God only knows, that's all I write about!

Johnson Creek (company now closed) Red Oak (pg free line) Domestic (flavour) burns and pops and fizzes on my atomisers so much better than other 100% VG liquid which clogs up and leave them dead and gunky even after i have added 10% or more distilled water.
Domestic is a really runny liquid for a PG free type..it is as thin as PG... honest.

As I am now FORCED (thanks JC!) to start going down the DIY route - I would very much like to know why. ( I cannot "do" PG - the debate has been exhausted already, I wish I could!)

The ingredients in the liquid by JC are as follows:

FCC grade Vegetable Glycerin
Food-grade Glycerol
Distilled water
Nicotine (except in Zero Nic juices)
Natural Flavors
Artificial flavors
Citric Acid (used as a natural preservative in the juice)
100% free of Propylene Glycol

I would imagine its in order of the highest volume first. (?)

SO:

Does Food-grade Glycerol thin out Vegetable Glycerin ?

Does Citric Acid thin out the liquid?

Do any of the above help the liquid burn I wonder.

If I add MORE distilled water into the 100% VG liquid than the 10% will that help it burn? I am not too fussed about vapor production more about TH and taste.

Thankies in advance :D

Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Just me, I wouldn't use food grade glycerol or VG for vaping, at all.
USP only.

E liquid shouldn't burn at all, it should heat into an aerosol / vapor.
The popping, snapping & fizzle was mostly due to water, DW added & I suppose water used as a base in the flavorings considering most are suspended in PG, sure some are VG based. I find vg based to be extremely weak making it necessary to use quadruple to 6 times as much flavoring versus pg based.

Is there are reason you chose not to use PG?
If you like throat hit & taste / flavor, PG carries flavor better than any other base and contributes a great deal to throat hit.

Duplicating a mass produced flavor can be almost impossible, be easier to experiment & find flavor combinations you like as well if not better.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Adding more than 10% DW isn't really advised. The pops and crackles may be due to adding the DW to the premade juice without adequate mixing and steeping time. It happened to me until I just added the water into my mixes and let them steep, before I was adding a few drops of water to a tank, and if some of it goes directly to the coil, then it may pop and hiss, at least that's my guess. If you are sensitive to PG then it looks like that's your main option.

I don't add citric acid or anything else to my mixes, but I use smaller bottles (60 ml) and they tend not to be around for months or years.... Although I have a feeling they would be fine.

With DIY, there's a learning curve for sure, and trying to clone a recipe may be one of the hardest things to do, although you can certainly try it. I'd suggest making testers of some other flavors as well, to see if you can find other juices that you like, maybe not even in the tobacco realm. You can certainly purchase quite small amounts of flavorings.

I might suggest getting some WTA wholesale from Aroma e-juice, and adding some of that to your mixes. It has a "hint" of tobacco flavor and you can get VG only wholesale e-juice, it might give you some satisfaction/pleasure with some of your new mixes by adding a few alkaloids from tobacco that *might* help your palate adjust to the new juices you are making-- as, to be honest, tobacco doesn't taste "good" to me, but it certainly made me "feel" good, I was like a little rabbit hitting a lever for my "reward" really. Just a thought.

Best of luck,

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I will shortly be known on these forums as "The domestic girl" because God only knows, that's all I write about!
Johnson Creek (company now closed) Red Oak (pg free line) Domestic (flavour) burns and pops and fizzes on my atomisers so much better than other 100% VG liquid which clogs up and leave them dead and gunky even after i have added 10% or more distilled water.
Domestic is a really runny liquid for a PG free type..it is as thin as PG... honest.
As I am now FORCED (thanks JC!) to start going down the DIY route - I would very much like to know why. ( I cannot "do" PG - the debate has been exhausted already, I wish I could!)
The ingredients in the liquid by JC are as follows:
FCC grade Vegetable Glycerin
Food-grade Glycerol
Distilled water
Nicotine (except in Zero Nic juices)
Natural Flavors
Artificial flavors
Citric Acid (used as a natural preservative in the juice)
100% free of Propylene Glycol
I would imagine its in order of the highest volume first. (?)
SO:
Does Food-grade Glycerol thin out Vegetable Glycerin ?
Does Citric Acid thin out the liquid?
Do any of the above help the liquid burn I wonder.
If I add MORE distilled water into the 100% VG liquid than the 10% will that help it burn? I am not too fussed about vapor production more about TH and taste.
Thankies in advance :D
1. "FCC grade Vegetable Glycerin"<---------------- Would not recommend this grade for vaping usage.
re: PG/VG labeling and purity: Please read!
2. Some folks add 10% DW some more, some less. The amount you add is dependent on your taste requirements.

Here is a quick look into DIY, might like to visit:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diyordie-concentrates.html
http://www.ejuicemakers.com/help/
DIY e liquid Mixing – The Vapers Table
Please read the stickies below:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/diy-e-liquid.38/

Could look into mixing with one shots if you think you may want to get your feet wet without going all out (mixing single flavors at a time) in DIY, might like to visit:
One Shot Flavor Concentrates
One Shot Concentrates - Flavor Concentrates - <p class="shopbydepartment"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Shop by</span><span style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;">Department</span></p>
One of the advantages in one shot mixing, is a mix with a set taste that is close to the flavor advertised on the bottle.
A disadvantage, is the mix can be difficult to customize. This form of DIY is simpler than mixing numerous "single" flavors.

• Informative
Adding more than 10% DW isn't really advised. The pops and crackles may be due to adding the DW to the premade juice without adequate mixing and steeping time. It happened to me until I just added the water into my mixes and let them steep, before I was adding a few drops of water to a tank, and if some of it goes directly to the coil, then it may pop and hiss, at least that's my guess. If you are sensitive to PG then it looks like that's your main option.

I don't add citric acid or anything else to my mixes, but I use smaller bottles (60 ml) and they tend not to be around for months or years.... Although I have a feeling they would be fine.

With DIY, there's a learning curve for sure, and trying to clone a recipe may be one of the hardest things to do, although you can certainly try it. I'd suggest making testers of some other flavors as well, to see if you can find other juices that you like, maybe not even in the tobacco realm. You can certainly purchase quite small amounts of flavorings.

I might suggest getting some WTA wholesale from Aroma e-juice, and adding some of that to your mixes. It has a "hint" of tobacco flavor and you can get VG only wholesale e-juice, it might give you some satisfaction/pleasure with some of your new mixes by adding a few alkaloids from tobacco that *might* help your palate adjust to the new juices you are making-- as, to be honest, tobacco doesn't taste "good" to me, but it certainly made me "feel" good, I was like a little rabbit hitting a lever for my "reward" really. Just a thought.

Best of luck,

Anna

The popping and fizzing comes from my go to vape (Now discontinued) JC Domestic its PG free but thin like PG liquid. It shows as having DW in it on the label just under VG and Glycerine then the flavours come after that, or at least that's how its listed on the label. So I am not sure how much they put in but it must be quite a lot.
It burns really well in my low resistance eRoll atomiser (don't laugh! Im old school)

That's interesting about letting the liquid rest steep after adding water...Ive just been adding shaking and vaping and often the liquids are full of bubbles so thank you for that, makes sense, I will do that from now on. :)

1. "FCC grade Vegetable Glycerin"<---------------- Would not recommend this grade for vaping usage.
re: PG/VG labeling and purity: Please read!
2. Some folks add 10% DW some more, some less. The amount you add is dependent on your taste requirements.

Here is a quick look into DIY, might like to visit:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diyordie-concentrates.html
http://www.ejuicemakers.com/help/
DIY e liquid Mixing – The Vapers Table
Please read the stickies below:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/diy-e-liquid.38/

Could look into mixing with one shots if you think you may want to get your feet wet without going all out (mixing single flavors at a time) in DIY, might like to visit:
One Shot Flavor Concentrates
One Shot Concentrates - Flavor Concentrates - <p class="shopbydepartment"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Shop by</span><span style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;">Department</span></p>
One of the advantages in one shot mixing, is a mix with a set taste that is close to the flavor advertised on the bottle.
A disadvantage, is the mix can be difficult to customize. This form of DIY is simpler than mixing numerous "single" flavors.

Thank you for that - I understand I will never be able to replicate JC Domestic unless I know exactly where they obtained their flavours and ingredients from and all I know is they were PG free and all sourced from the USA some were natural others artificial in the same liquid. I would imagine the tobacco and burley were artificial and the caramel/vanilla natural but i am only guessing.

I have a blend of White Beard (Velvet Cloud) and Gold (NET.com) which is Okay and when the time comes that will have to be my go to vape. I don't like the sweet flavours in White Beard not because they are sweet bc I need sweet but bc they're marshmallow and something else. I want a very simple unfussy un perfumed subtle mellow tobacco and caramel. Not too strong on the baccy and not too sweet on the caramel - Basically like Domestic which is a variant of RY4 anyways.

Thank you also for links to One Shots - I think I am at the stage were I am blending pre made liquids to try and create something that hits the spot.

soooooooo many liquids leave the taste of perfume in my mouth its truly vile. And so many websites only publish positive reviews leaving the negatives hidden and unpublished.

Trying to find a new replacement liquid has become almost a FT job for me and i am sick to death of throwing bottles of liquid away due to the perfume or the totally over-powering flavours - Virgin Vapors e liquids are so strong in flavour and not in a good way and yet people rave about them.

Taste is so subjective that ANY review is almost worthless by default I find !
I bang on about Domestic like its the holy grail but I would imagine many would find it bland and flavourless or perhaps tastes like ....... Its so hard to judge based on online descriptions and reviews.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Hangsen RY4 at 3-10% is a wonderfully subtle RY4. Single flavor mix and 50/50. Very nice. No perfume. Not too sweet. Very smooth.
I'm currently at 7% and it's my goto when I'm tired of my unflavored.

I've found that juice is going to taste considerably different depending on the size of the tank. Going from pen style vapes to larger tanks, (Atlantis Mega's, OBS Nano's, etc...), was an eye opening experience for me! Flavor MUCH better!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread