Why does my vape liquid turn brown if it has 0 Nicotine in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albert.pasteur70

Aug 2, 2018
e-liquid changes colour when exposed to light and oxygen. This is caused by chemical reactions that cause some breakdown of constituents. Although nicotine e-liquid for DIY mixing does turn a very light brown with age, most colour changes are caused by other ingredients, flavourings in particular. Many vapers deliberately expose new eliquid to heat, light and air as this changes the flavour. The colour can eventually become black or near-black for some flavours and I have had a particular vanilla custard that was at its best after 6 months storage when it was almost black in colour. Without nicotine you will probably find that some flavours change colour very little, others do so to a much greater degree. Nicotine is not the main cause of the colour change. The recommended method for reducing change as much as possible is to keep it in the dark, preferably in brown glass bottles, keep it cold and top up bottles with an inert gas and use an airtight cap as well as keeping it in a fridge or freezer for storage. Probably eventually the taste will change if you leave it long enough.
Plastic bottles are not a good method of storage as plastics can leach into the liquid.
Unfortunately in the EU the new TPD, which includes e-cigarettes and everything associated with them, even if there is no nicotine, will only allow tiny plastic refill bottles, if they aren't banned completely.

Reactions: stols001

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
...Unfortunately in the EU the new TPD, which includes e-cigarettes and everything associated with them, even if there is no nicotine, will only allow tiny plastic refill bottles, if they aren't banned completely.

That is incorrect. Although it is true that glass bottles are now banned, there is no limit on volumes of nicotine free liquid. Ever heard of shortfills?

Also, there is no rule against buying your own glass bottles and decanting the e-liquid into them for your own personal use. Just remember to label them clearly and keep them out of the reach of children, animals...and idiots!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down.

LOL I'm afraid I have little to post on the topic other than most juices I make are not going to turn into a morally offensive shade in the time it will take me to vape them, I prefer you know, vaping than speculating on the topic and rationale for 0 nic vape turns the colors it does other than if you want to save a liquid from "changing" well there is this thing called a fridge that also protects from light and heat, although there are mixed opinions on that and etc.

I really, personally, don't fret it. I use brown glass bottles, I use clear glass bottles and I can usually manage to vape what I mix (even OUT of the fridge) before it becomes unvapable and I even INCLUDE nic in my mixes. Etc.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've never had 0-nic flavored liquid change color or darken. My unflavored, vaping-strength base (12-15 mg/ml) also stays pretty close to colorless in the month or so a 120ml bottle lasts me. But when I combine flavorings and nic, I'll normally begin to see a darkening and color change within a few days. Thus I posit that most of the darkening and color change we see in e-liquid is due to an interaction between flavorings and nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread