The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Why does the coil burn out..To much flavor?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Ethan diy, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:30 AM.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ethan diy

Ethan diy Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2017
    Hey all good to be here
    Was wondering .. Just gave my friend some flavors I made to vape... He told me that he put in a new coil and that after just a bit of got burnt out... My flavors are general recipes that I pick up from the forum.. I know custard has a tendency to gunk up coils.. Could that be it? cause I did give him custard... He has a vape pod system something like the smok novo. Would appreciate some knowledge on what causes coils to burn out on what types of attys or pods.. Etc..??

• Like Like x 1
  2. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi mate,
    What was the PG/VG ratio of the juice you made?
    Of the 4 Pod systems I've tried, they all appear to function better with 65% VG or less.
    What was total flavor percentage of the juice you made?

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ethan diy

Mar 13, 2017
    Hey thanks...
    The ratio was 60 vg... But you might be right maybe I should lower it even more... I thought that might be the problem... Do you know if high vg affects the same way with other systems.. Like drop in coils or something?
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Generally it’s only the tiny coil stuff like pods. There just isn’t enough wick to carry a thick juice

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Um, just wanted to say it may be completely unrelated to your juice, maybe his coil was about to die anyway, maybe he's vaping it too high, and maybe he didn't prime it well, I have no idea.

I'm not sure I'd jump to the conclusion that your home made eliquid has instant, coil destroying properties.... Although if it does, can I buy some for my vaping enemies and etc. ???:D

Anna

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Coil burnt out? as in stops firing/producing vapor? (open circuit)
    Wicking material scorched or burnt making for an off, odd, dry, funky or burnt taste?

High % VG slows the wicking process, back to back hits / chain vaping may cause dry, funky or burnt tastes in any delivery device with small wicking holes and or small amount of wicking material in their heads.

Flavorings & especially sweeteners is what clogs/slows wicking ability, caramelize on the coil & burn off creating funky burnt hit tastes.
    What is the total % of flavorings?
    Total % of sweeteners?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Back when I used factory coils I found that they had to be drenched in juice for at least 30 minutes to an hour to make sure ALL the cotton was soaked. The best method I used was to pull off the rubber bottom cap and fill it with juice. Then, I'd put the cap back on and the juice would well up through the air hole and soak the top of the wicking. The makes sure you have the entire wicking drenched in juice before the first vape.

If there's juice sitting on the top of the wicking after it sits for a while you can dry it off using a paper towel before your first vape.

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. Ethan diy

Mar 13, 2017
    Wow thanks everyone I got all the info here.. Thx alot Elvis that was very useful...
    HEY ANNA HI:thumbs:!

• Love Love x 1
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Ethan!!!!!

I remember your very first post, and look at you now all "DIY for my friends and enemies." LOL
    ((Hugs))

Anna

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ethan diy

Mar 13, 2017
    :hubba: ((Hugs))

• Love Love x 1