Why does the news lie about e-liquid containing nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozm8ey

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2014
melboune,australia
Okay so i read this news article and either i'm wrong or the news are lying. The law as far as I know is it is illegal to buy/sell e-liquid containing nicotine within Australia but you're legally allowed to get it imported from overseas as long as its under 3 months supply.

XgDyIXg.png

Oh apparently we in Australia are buying from black markets lol Thats a big fat lie we're buying from legit big e-cig business's (well at least most of us are)

CLp7RKt.png

Whats your opinion on this guys? here is the article: Tobacco giant says its NY resolution is to ‘quit smoking’ — there’s more

Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I expect nothing more.

Okay so i read this news article and either i'm wrong or the news are lying. The law as far as I know is it is illegal to buy/sell e-liquid containing nicotine within Australia but you're legally allowed to get it imported from overseas as long as its under 3 months supply.

XgDyIXg.png

Oh apparently we in Australia are buying from black markets lol Thats a big fat lie we're buying from legit big e-cig business's (well at least most of us are)

CLp7RKt.png

Whats your opinion on this guys? here is the article: Tobacco giant says its NY resolution is to ‘quit smoking’ — there’s more

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
How much does a pack of traditional tobacco cigarettes cost in Australia, and what percentage of that price ends up in the government's coffers?

Well if were a bettin' man, I would bet that the government has the largest profit incentive in the chain of distribution.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I don't know, why is there more coverage of a gay ice dancer than of the actual Olympics? Why, despite lacking any discernible talent, does this country even know the name Kardashian? Why did a loud mouth spray tanned narcissist beat a corrupt two time loser narcissist for president? Why does Elan Musk seem to be the only one doing anything to push civilization forward? Why do people pay Starbucks $5 for a cup of coffee? Why is McDonalds good hot but horrible cold? Why does Taco Bell have 175 different offerings all made out of the same 10 ingredients. Why does Cedric The Entertainer use a misnomer for his stage name? Why do old men have all the cool sports cars? Why do some women still wear Wonderbra's (which to a guy is like opening the best wrapped but most disappointing present ever)?

The world is a kooky place.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Why do they lie? Because journalistic integrity is dead, 100% dead, worldwide. All that is left are propaganda mercenaries that will push whatever agenda or opinion they are paid to. By the same token scientific integrity is heading the same direction. At least for now, there are still a few scientists that haven't sold out yet.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
As i understand it, any government probably thinks "what's the worst that could happen if a nicotine addict can't get any nicotine ?".

So i suppose nicotine addiction isn't an issue, for any government.

I expect they think the same about tobacco use too. "Have some self control" would be their advice and then go on to talk about free will.

And they are right !.

As for lying. I suspect the funamental right to free speech is misinterpreted and/or abused. Now it's a right to talk absolute crap, constantly !. So the attitude is "because it's a basic human right".

These days i think these same people aren't really expercising "free will" so much as they seem to just assume that rights are actually "guidelines". So they don't bother thinking for themselves, not that i'm saying that they even could.

In the uk a driver is allowed to drink i think one unit of alcohol to stay within the legal limit. These same people seem to misunderstand this and think it's something they have to do. So they feel they have to drink one unit of alcohol. These people aren't exercising their right to free will, but are in actual fact susceptible to subliminal suggestion. Or to put it simply, they are stupid !.

I used to see this phenomenon in the "outside forum" here at ECF. The rules there are different from these forums/sub forums. Some of the members there demonstrate total "zombie-like" behaviour where everything they say is shaped by the rules. They can get away with saying things you could never get away with here. But instead of just being civil minded, they feel the need to interpret the rules as if they were an instruction manual that they absolutely have to follow. So they act like mindless idiots.

This may seem like a digression, but i think it's still on topic because i'm talking about how some people feel they have to lie or talk trash because they misunderstand the right to the freedom of speech. Or as i said before, because they are as stupid as a dog turd sandwich, completely useless and absolutely pointless !. So this brings me back to why the media talk so much crap.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I don't know, why is there more coverage of a gay ice dancer than of the actual Olympics? Why, despite lacking any discernible talent, does this country even know the name Kardashian? Why did a loud mouth spray tanned narcissist beat a corrupt two time loser narcissist for president? Why does Elan Musk seem to be the only one doing anything to push civilization forward? Why do people pay Starbucks $5 for a cup of coffee? Why is McDonalds good hot but horrible cold? Why does Taco Bell have 175 different offerings all made out of the same 10 ingredients. Why does Cedric The Entertainer use a misnomer for his stage name? Why do old men have all the cool sports cars? Why do some women still wear Wonderbra's (which to a guy is like opening the best wrapped but most disappointing present ever)?

Because when your done having fun with a Sports car you can put it in the garage for the night... ;)

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So it's an article pimping Philip Morris and its heat not burn as well as they're own e cigarettes currently sold in the UK (personally never knew those brands so I did learn something new). The reporter relied on press releases from PM, and padded with information from the first link they found with Google. Not uncommon when they need x number of words to fill a space out.

Is it accurate? Well there are a few points like the FDA panel shooting down the harm reduction claim for iQOS. Specific AU law I can't comment on as I don't know it, but no surprise if it was inaccurately presented.

What can we do about it? Not much outside of asking for corrections to be published if an article is just plain wrong on fact and letters to the editor to refute opinion pieces. But don't hold your vape in waiting for the world to change. You'll have zero cloud when you finally exhale.

Last edited:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
How much does a pack of traditional tobacco cigarettes cost in Australia, and what percentage of that price ends up in the government's coffers?

IIRC it's ~$1 per cigarette. Likely the most expensive cigarettes in the World.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's easy, follow the money. Governments take most of the money from tobacco and hand it out feel good stuff like education, medical research and "health" organizations who know their funding will decline as tobacco taxes decline. They are doing all the whining. Notably absent from the debate are parents. May be they would rather their kids vape than smoke? I wish vaping was around when I was a kid.

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
Governments don't care about its people only what it can steal from them. Only time the government should step in is if what you're doing effects another persons liberty but all I see is government taking liberty. If safety was a concern Alcohol would have very strict regulations. Its a poison that takes many live each year.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Governments don't care about its people only what it can steal from them. Only time the government should step in is if what you're doing effects another persons liberty but all I see is government taking liberty. If safety was a concern Alcohol would have very strict regulations. Its a poison that takes many live each year.

Tried it in 1919, gave it up 1933. Al Capone and others got all the revenue so the government jumped back in and then promptly levied a tax (probably to save the children).

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think prohibition taught the government a lot. Like, "We need those luxury prices and if people have been doing stuff long enough, they are going to continue."

Luxury/sin taxes are such a thing nowadays. In many cases, I will happily pay a premium for something I really want, if the alternative is total prohibition. Okay, I'm not happy about it, but I understand why it happens. I am a "Legalize everything," type of person, mainly due to the harm reduction involved in crime. If you "need" read "are addicted to" a substance, you will find ways to obtain it. I'd love those ways to be safer ways, and wouldn't even begrudge a "sin" tax, if it was a) reasonable b) saved money in the "drug war" and c) reduced crime and ODs and etc. and d) some of the money was used in the treatment of addiction, NOT provided by the government, but private entities. That is the only reasonable way to handle things in my book, and I won't be happy as vaping taxes steadily rise, that's for sure. However, I am for the most part prepared for that eventuality. I have what I "need" to keep vaping for a long, long time. With that said, not all vapers are so lucky/informed.

The news lies because it lies. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes it's stupidity, sometimes it's propaganda, sometimes some new "issue" that is meaningless will crop up with immediacy.... To hide something else that is going on governmentally that the government does not wish us to know. The media is a group of organized criminals, and the sooner people realize that, the better.

Anna

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch

Great commentary HM!!!! Should be a Sticky with the title "why" :) After all....."who is John Galt"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread