Why don't I like my Squonker

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I think that I have quite a good setup for squonking, yet every time when I start using it, after a couple of days it starts gathering dust again, in favour of my RTA (Berserker MINI MTL). The problem is that compared to the RTA, the flavour is so "washed out", it's like day and night. I use the same Ni200 or SS316 coils in both the RDA and the RTA, and also the same wicking material. It's really "everything else being equal", the temperature (I vape with TC enabled) and the preset wattage as well, just the flavour is so much weaker in the dripper. So that's why I stopped using it shortly after buying it.
But recently, I got the idea (from this forum) to use it for unflavoured juice, so I tried that. But even that is much more satisfying with the RTA, with the dripper it's a lot like sucking hot air in, even with the air hole on the smallest position. There's also visibly a lot less vapour with the dripper, even when I almost oversquonk.
So how comes that squonking is so popular? Isn't squonking supposed to be better in the flavour department? Is my atomizer (Ammit Geekvape MTL RDA) the problem? I know that my VT Inbox mod has a dna 75 board, which is very good. For now, my squonker will start gathering dust again, unless someone can give me advice on how to make it better...

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I think that I have quite a good setup for squonking, yet every time when I start using it, after a couple of days it starts gathering dust again, in favour of my RTA (Berserker MINI MTL). The problem is that compared to the RTA, the flavour is so "washed out", it's like day and night. I use the same Ni200 or SS316 coils in both the RDA and the RTA, and also the same wicking material. It's really "everything else being equal", the temperature (I vape with TC enabled) and the preset wattage as well, just the flavour is so much weaker in the dripper. So that's why I stopped using it shortly after buying it.
But recently, I got the idea (from this forum) to use it for unflavoured juice, so I tried that. But even that is much more satisfying with the RTA, with the dripper it's a lot like sucking hot air in, even with the air hole on the smallest position. There's also visibly a lot less vapour with the dripper, even when I almost oversquonk.
So how comes that squonking is so popular? Isn't squonking supposed to be better in the flavour department? Is my atomizer (Ammit Geekvape MTL RDA) the problem? I know that my VT Inbox mod has a DNA 75 board, which is very good. For now, my squonker will start gathering dust again, unless someone can give me advice on how to make it better...

Interesting, I’ve had just the opposite experience. I get great flavor with my SRDAs and have looked for an RTA that equals them. I’ve come close with a couple but nothing has equaled or surpassed the RDAs. I vape a restricted DL hit using SS316L on mostly mechs so I can’t speak to any MTL attys.

I can tell you there is a large difference between flavor on different RDAs, I use mostly single coil flavor attys and have a handful that surpass any of the others I’ve tried. Maybe try a different RDA and see?

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I could never get the vape I wanted from the Ammit RDA (don't know why, it seemed like it should be great and many people love it. I gave mine away). There are a number of other MTL RDAs you could try --- you could try the Vapefly Galaxies (or their newer Holic RDA) or the Cthulhu 1928 as a couple alternatives to try (I like them both).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I use the same Ni200 or SS316 coils in both the RDA and the RTA
Depending on the RDA, using the same coil may not be appropriate. Much depends on chamber volume and the geometry of airflow. I remember getting my first squonker. I was used to building 1.2 ohm 28 gauge coils for my Kayfun, so that's what I tried first. It was "Meh". I don't recall what set me to trying it, but putting in a 0.75 ohm 26 gauge coil woke it right up and I've been squonking ever since.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've tried a couple different squonkers. An inexpensive VMod and a Reo Grand (thank you Rossum). They just weren't for me for a variety of reasons. Some people love them, others don't.

full
VMod XL

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You are comparing apples to oranges despite using the same coil and wick. To draw a comparison from my own experiences, the Wotofo Profile RDA and Profile Unity RTA employ an identical deck that can be used with the same mesh strip and wicking material. But that is where the similarities stop. The Unity uses a more condensed chamber with a different angle airflow. It also has a longer chimney. These subtle differences equate to a different vape experience between the 2.

I have no exposure to the equipment you are using so no comment on setup/coils. But as it was mentioned, I would experiment using different coils with the Ammit. There is also the possibility the Ammit is just not the RDA for you

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I've tried squonking with various set ups but always go back to my RTA. I'm not a 'flavour chaser' and, quite frankly, a lot of my liquids taste worse to me with an RDA. My all day vape is an RY2 blend in a doggy style tank on a P3. Foolproof.
I also like to be able to sling my set-up into a pocket and forget about it until i need a vape, something i can't do with a squonk unless i've timed it just right. That and remembering to saturate the wick, worry about leaking into the mod, no consistency, occasional spitting. Not for me.
In my opinion squonking is a step back - more faff for no benefit. :evil:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
To share another experience of mine is that depending on the quality of silicone used in the squonk bottle, I have found this can alter the taste of juice. I actually prefer the juice delivery of squonking – high capacity with a smaller device (smaller as in no large glass tank). But because of my sensitivities toward poor silicone, and we all know China only uses the best of meterials, I’ve started to move toward RTA’s.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
To share another experience of mine is that depending on the quality of silicone used in the squonk bottle, I have found this can alter the taste of juice.
I've tried silicone bottles a couple of times and never liked them. I'm still using the original Italian "Super Soft" plastic bottles that I ran a coop for back in 2015. I'm not sure what they're made of, but it's not silicone. I've yet to have one fail either.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you’re having an issue with flavor, excepting possible bottle issues mentioned (which I have never personally experienced) it’s not the squonker it’s the atty. all the squonker does is deliver juice to the atty. This likely isn’t “why don’t I like my squonker?” it’s “why don’t I like this RDA?”

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I've tried silicone bottles a couple of times and never liked them. I'm still using the original Italian "Super Soft" plastic bottles that I ran a coop for back in 2015. I'm not sure what they're made of, but it's not silicone. I've yet to have one fail either.

There are demonstrations found on the internet that show a squeeze/pinch test that is suppose to identify fillers used in silicone. Do not know how valid these tests are, but the bottles I feel are of quality seem to pass, and those that fail the squeeze test retain flavour and odor from the juices used with them. These flavours and odors transfer to the vape and not in a good way.

I’ve had much success with the BB Vapes bottles, but they are of a standard size and do not fit all squokers.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
It's not a given that a Bottom Feeder is going to give better vape than a RTA!
A well built RTA can work as well or better than an RSA, Plus an RTA is consistent!
My pet peeve with Bottom Feeders is, the inconsistent vape! You squonk it, get a few good puffs & then it falls off, Then squonk again & again & again
I can set up my Supreme Plus, fill it up with 15 mils of juice & get the same hit over & over All day long! How does Bottom Feeding even have a chance of competing with That?

All you hard core Bottom Feeders, Fire Away :lol:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I can set up my Supreme Plus, fill it up with 15 mils of juice & get the same hit over & over All day long! How does Bottom Feeding even have a chance of competing with That?
It competes with that all day, every day. You see, I squonk it once per hit.

Oh, and my juice isn't sitting there getting cooked by having a hot chamber in the middle of it. How can a tank even have a chance of competing with that? :laugh:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
If you’re having an issue with flavor, excepting possible bottle issues mentioned (which I have never personally experienced) it’s not the squonker it’s the atty. all the squonker does is deliver juice to the atty. This likely isn’t “why don’t I like my squonker?” it’s “why don’t I like this RDA?”
Agree,,, I was die hard sub ohm tanks,,,but the flavor from squonk is better & I'm using a$4clone called vaux from ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread