Why don't more vendors ship 1st class mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeem

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
It can save everyone a lot of money, it would work for most orders (probably not kits, although maybe an option if taken out of the box), it can be tracked, it gets there just as fast as "Priority," which actually is given NO priority to 1st class. Chris at myfreedomsmokes and some others do and therefore charge VERY reasonable shipping charges, most, however, charge $5 for "Priority" even for a 10 ml bottle of juice or an atomizer. Come on! Get with the program! (On Ebay all sellers know about 1st class mail and use it almost always)

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Priority is cheaper for packages over 13 oz(???--could be a different weight) and you get tracking.

There actually is a priority give to Priority mail if there ever is a conflict between a priority package and a first class package (time, space, etc) Ig got this info on this forum from a postal employee.

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
I guess it all depends on what you're shipping. At a certain weight, 1st class is not an option. It's either parcel post or priority. I think it's 13 oz. You would not want parel post...Not a vapor supplier, but occasionally sell things on ebay. Don't forget that shipping charges include packing materials, too.

Adeem

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Sure when it's cheaper use Priority I'm just questioning the vendors that charge a flat $5 for shipping Priority even for an atomizer or battery (with no cheaper option). Most shipments are nowhere near 13 oz (at least for me and I suspect most others).As for giving priority in a conflict I'll live with that, it probably happens very rarely. Tracking is definitely available for 1st class because I've been given tracking numbers for 1st class many times.

davidb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I have had great luck with priority mail. I have done first class with less sucsess. For all Orders over $10 I do free priority.

My main reason for priority has been reliability. I have shipped first class that was 3 miles away, and for god know what reason it went out on Tues and arrived Friday. There were also a few other similar incidents. Priority mail is nice free supplies(although I have yet to switch to theirs since I have like 800+ of my own supplies still left, gotta love bulk orders). And as for UPS and Fedex, dear god, before I started doing mass shipping I loved them, always feared USPS, but how wrong I was. For next day shipping UPS from Chicago to NY is about 25 for a kit(I think havent price checked this in many many months). Packages going out in morning, I have had Prioirty Mail arrive in 2 days there(Sent monday, arrive Wed). California, 2-3 days. For 4.80 as long as it is under a pound.

My only problem is when I shipped really small items, few batteries, couple packs of cartridges, eliquid, etc, it seems a waste that I mail something very small in size in a 6x4 envelope and 2-3oz for the same price I ship 16oz large envelop that is 16x11x1. But thats how I decided to go about it and Im happy.

Also I use paypal merchant pro(other merchants for the most part dont allow ecigs), and by doing my shipping via paypal usps, it also allows me to protect my self against "The item didnt arrive" because paypal has the delivery record. But they also do support UPS too.

Here is one example:

Bullet Delivered, May 13, 2009, 12:56 pm, DALY CITY, CA 94014
Bullet Arrival at Unit, May 13, 2009, 5:00 am, DALY CITY, CA 94015
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 12, 2009, 10:32 pm, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94188
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, May 11, 2009, 10:49 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60701

Last edited:

halopunker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
New Philadelphia, OH
Sure when it's cheaper use Priority I'm just questioning the vendors that charge a flat $5 for shipping Priority even for an atomizer or battery (with no cheaper option). Most shipments are nowhere near 13 oz (at least for me and I suspect most others).As for giving priority in a conflict I'll live with that, it probably happens very rarely. Tracking is definitely available for 1st class because I've been given tracking numbers for 1st class many times.

Yes, Tracking is available for first class as long as the package is 3/4" thick. A Few atomizers doesnt even come close to being that thick.

You get what you pay for:

Priority Mail (under 13oz) is $4.80, I charge $4.99 for the bubble wrap, tape, labels, ink, gas, etc :p

If you want a cheaper way to ship it, just inquire. I'd be glad to make a separate invoice for you =P I've been thinking about doing free shipping, but am thinking against it as I would have to raise my prices then. More often than not, I lose money on shipping, but I am very pleased with Priority Shipping and so are my customers :p

Last edited:

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
Priority mail has delivery conformation (through PayPal.). It assures the seller that the merchandise has been delivered.

You get 19 cent delivery confirmation through Pay Pal for first class mail. I also believe when people are ordering just a bottle or two, they should have the option of first class mail shipping when the weights are under 13 ounces. Some people like to just order a 30 ml bottle at a time and to ship that first class with delivery confirmation via Pay Pal, it costs a buck fifty-six. A far cry from $5 on up that most suppliers are charging for Priority Mail for one bottle. As for supplies, pffft, I use a 5 x 9 regular envelope that are super cheap in bulk and just put a little bubble wrap around it when I ship to someone in trade or whatever and never a problem.

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
Outer priority packaging is free. I haven't been able to get tape from the PO in a while. And inner protective packaging like bubble wrap, peanuts, padded envelopes still cost money.

If you bought a batt or atom, someone should be able to place them in a padded envelope and they'd be fine.

Believe me, I wish I did not have to have everything I buy shipped. I'd gladly pay a decent markup to someone who carried what I want right here. Alas, 75% of everything I buy except groceries has to be mailed to me.

Flat rate shipping at $5.00 a pop encourages buyers to spend more to get their shipping dollar's worth, no?

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
I don't think people realize how cheap it can be, an atomizer can be shipped or actually mailed for about 60 cents! Throw in a 50 cents charge for the padded envelope and handling, your still way ahead and giving the customer options. I don't always want to wait till I have a big enough order.

But what about 2 attys and 1 battery? How about 1 atty and one battery. Or 3 batteries?

From a business standpoint it is just easier to charge a flat rate priority price for shipping rather than worry about every possible first class scenario.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
@geeker - call the USPS supplies number (800-610-8734 and press option 1) and ask for CAREKIT04 (or a "military kit"). The kit's contents will change from time to time and will sometimes include other items such as tyvek envelopes and priority address labels, but it normally has in it: 4 priority flat-rate shoe box size boxes, 6 priority flat-rate garment size boxes, 10 priority labels, 10 customs forms with sleeves, and 1 roll of the elusive priority mail tape.

regarding first class - i've recently added it to the site due to demand, but for some vendors it is a pain for a few different reasons (the lack of free packaging, the having to deal with changing software setup when printing labels, etc). Some of us have software that automates the label printing process and will print out all of the labels in a batch, changing the mail class as necessary for each shipment, but not all vendors do (and it's pricey). And, not all shopping carts are able to only show the shipping options that are compatible with the items ordered (ie: if total weight of items purchased is over 13 ounces, dont let customer choose first class during checkout). So, there are a few different reasons for sellers to not offer first class, all of which are valid imho.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I am sensing a little frustration...............

Absolutely not. I keep a "minimum" list, and order replacements long before I start to run low. This is how I avoid the frustration. If my order gets delayed for any reason, I'm good. Frustration don't agree with my blood pressure.

I didn't mean that statement to be bad or offending, but actually, I really *don't* give a s**t how they ship it. I got plenty of time.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
I don't think people realize how cheap it can be, an atomizer can be shipped or actually mailed for about 60 cents! Throw in a 50 cents charge for the padded envelope and handling, your still way ahead and giving the customer options. I don't always want to wait till I have a big enough order.
Um... even if you get the weight down to a 2 ounces, that's still $1.58 for postage + cost of envelope and other supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread