Why has this forum turned into ad world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yep, I have a thought....It takes money to provide such a place. If you don't like it and it makes you mad enough to move on, either move on or make a gigantic donation so they don't need the advertising revenue. Or, you could do what I do, scroll past the ads.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will merely state that I'm not a big fan of venders requiring "gleam" and the willingness to smear their product and advertising all over social media to enter a contest.... That is a trend I don't much appreciate although I guess I understand WHY they do it.

I will also admit that there are a few "approved" vendors on ECF that I don't understand why they are when looking at customer complaints and I do sometimes wish that there was more education and less just advertising. There is one vendor (forget who) who was publishing vaping "articles" and I thought that had some merit.

I still say the best reviewers of new products are ECF members actually using the equipment (JMO) and I will say that some vendors really do offer worthwhile sales and advertising them a bit is reasonable.... but can get excessive at times. I don't have to read it, though.... And sometimes I do, and get a great deal from a vendor, most certainly.

Again, just my thoughts :) I don't get ads all over the place, but that's why I'm a supporting member (among other reasons) but it's a nice side benefit, and YES this forum DOES take money to run and YES a certain amount of advertising (even in threads) is going to/needs to take place for the site to function.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's called revenue. Let's be honest, this site is to big and requires serious bandwidth and load balanced servers to run. That's not cheap, and hardly something I would expect a person to pay for on their own as a hobby. It's the same problem faced by essentially everyone online, how do you monetize your site to pay your bills, other than maybe a personal blog on something like blogspot.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
One must realize how big this forum is and then they will understand that it takes cash to keep it running. Maybe the ads wouldn't be as necessary if every member could be a supporting member. I am ashamed to admit that I personally enjoyed almost 5 years here before I became a supporting member. I am kinda ashamed of myself for that fact. :(

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    giphy.gif

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    I go through the effort to come here every day and happily wade through a sea of ads to leave my pithy insights and witty imbecilisms for the hordes of people who follow me (Its actually just 2 or 3 people but I have dreams of that number growing). And I do it without complaining or making demands. If I can do it, so can anyone.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I go through the effort to come here every day and happily wade through a sea of ads to leave my pithy insights and witty imbecilisms for the hordes of people who follow me (Its actually just 2 or 3 people but I have dreams of that number growing). And I do it without complaining or making demands. If I can do it, so can anyone.
    We followers of yours keep following along hoping to get our daily dose of giggles.
    A day without giggles is a dull day indeed. :D

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I didn't subscribe for some months thinking what's in it for me...took me awhile to realize that I was already reaping my reward just by joining. Great community here that I am grateful to have found. Just have to decide to look at it from another angle.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I've been a member here since 2012. It's the largest forum for e-cigarettes and vaping in the world. There is a lot of traffic and a lot of information here. A lot of genuinely helpful people.. It's free to join this private forum. I understand it costs money to keep such a website running, and that usually means the need for advertising.

I used to be a supporting member here until I came under hard financial times. $24 a year actually isn't too bad to get rid of the ads and support a cause that you can believe in.

If the ads bother you that much, find another forum. I've tried to use Reddit a number of times but I personally hate the format and the trolls. The other forums have much slower traffic, less helpful info, and more trolls because moderation is less strict. I like it here on ECF, ads or no ads.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread