Why have i been banned!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
Your user permissions have now changed - you will find that you are unable to post in certain forums and additionally you may recieve a notice that you are banned. Don't worry, you're not!

However, suppliers may not now:

Post in the review section
Post in the new members forum

With suppliers now not able to post in the new members or review section many newbies are going to go with unanswered questions and the suppliers can't defend themselves. Again, just my two cents but I think the new rules are going to make things worse rather than better. One thing I appreciated when I first joined was that I was able to get information from suppliers easily in the forums. Most of them do not answer questions with "buy MINE" type of answers and I have seen many suppliers actually refer and say good things about their competitors. Seeing as how many of us members have just paid to help keep the forums up and going I think it would have been a good idea to do a poll or ask for opinions on these changes at least.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I can sort of understand the reasoning behind this measure and while I think it's a pity to exclude well behaved sellers from certain areas it will give users more confidence that the forum is for us rather than an advertising space.

Certain sellers like Ludo manage to answer questions about their product without needing access to the newbie or review forum.

I say lets try it and see how it goes.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I'm more OK with these rule changes than I am with not posting negative customer service reviews. That said, I think we as a community have done a good job of calling out the suppliers who have inappropriatly bashed other suppliers or promoted their own product. And I see no reason why that shouldn't continue. When necessary, a MOD could always intervene.

All this rule tightening threatens to cause worse problems than what its trying to "solve", IMO.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
The reason i don't think suppliers should post in the new members area is strictly because of the Link to their specific website in their signature space.

IMO a new user will find it easier to click that link rather than scour the forums for the supplier that really suits them .

If the links weren't there i dont think there would be any problem with suppliers posting in the new members forum. maybe if there is a way to disable signatures being displayed in that forum it would prevent that scenario.

Last edited:

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
I'm more OK with these rule changes than I am with not posting negative customer service reviews. That said, I think we as a community have done a good job of calling out the suppliers who have inappropriatly bashed other suppliers or promoted their own product. And I see no reason why that shouldn't continue. When necessary, a MOD could always intervene.

All this rule tightening threatens to cause worse problems than what its trying to "solve", IMO.

Much better said than I said it Leaf. Forgive my ramblings today gang; I have an injured hand and am taking some lovely pain meds so I am having some issues making sense even to myself. I agree wholeheartedly with Leaf's post above and that was exactly what I was attempting to say in my post below.

madog

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
Oregon - USA

Ditto . . . Just my Vote

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I don't really see the necessity for vested interests to be represented in the newbie forum and reviews forum. They can have their say elsewhere easily enough.

Why is Janty the only supplier that uses the suppliers board for customer service?

The first duty of the forum should be to the users. And access to the suppliers is a huge part of the usefullness of the forum to the users.

In the review section, I thnk it's inappropriate for them to "talk back" uninvited, or even worse to argue, with the reviewer or other posters.

But quite often the review ASKS for a response, or someone else posts a question. Hell, sometimes the review has a mistake, like the wrong shipping price, and a correction is helpful. I was grateful to Shawn for correcting me on the 401's shipping cost, for example.

There should be a line drawm and the suppliers should be called on it when they cross it. But an absolute ban cuts off a valuable conduit of information.

And as for the newbies section, well, who else is most likely to need to ask a question, and least likely to realize they should post it in the Suppliers forum. Not to mention they CAN'T post it there until they have 15 posts.

Again, they shouldn't be allowed to run roughshod over that forum. And maybe they should be banned from STARTING threads there. But it should be allowed when appropriate. And when they cross the line we can handle it then.

Once again, the community has a good track record of calling people out when they cross the line. Whether it's a supplier, a disgruntled customer, a shill, whoever. Maybe there's been a hair trigger incident or two, but that's just eggs and omlets, isn't it?

Overall I think as a group we've done a good job, posters and mods together. We've been fair to everyone, and opposing voices get their say. ANd I think that free flowing dynamic serves the members needs better than a more restrictive system would.

Last edited:

Liberate_Yourself

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
U.S.
www.smokeliberation.com
With suppliers now not able to post in the new members or review section many newbies are going to go with unanswered questions and the suppliers can't defend themselves. Again, just my two cents but I think the new rules are going to make things worse rather than better. One thing I appreciated when I first joined was that I was able to get information from suppliers easily in the forums. Most of them do not answer questions with "BUY MINE" type of answers and I have seen many suppliers actually refer and say good things about their competitors. Seeing as how many of us members have just paid to help keep the forums up and going I think it would have been a good idea to do a poll or ask for opinions on these changes at least.

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I think that the forums should be moderated properly, and if suppliers are breaking the rules, deal with those suppliers accordingly. We should all have the same rights.. (except for supporting member perks.. ;))

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I hear what you are saying Shannon and Leaford and agree that up to now we have been well able to police most things ourselves.

We are also capable of pointing newbies in the direction of suitable support.

The review board is a tricky one, I am personally against vested interests having the opportunity to interfere with any opinion there. Mistakes can be reported to mods via the report post feature so suppliers can have things corrected if necessary. There is abuse potential by letting people who have conflicts of interest post on what should be a neutral board. Not that I don't think we could deal with someone who does cross the line but it's not a place I like to police myself. Apart from advertising it should contain the good, the bad and the ugly ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread