Not open for further replies.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
Thanks Baditude, that makes sense.

i do not think id does, i personnaly use panasonic ncr batteries, those are not high drain and never had any problem with them, verly large capacity reasonable price, industry quality. the provari is 3.5 amp limited anyway. i have the same question - why?

I can use the protected ncr18650b batts, but the Provari won't even turn on with the new "high drain" ncr18650pd. Kinda bummed since I bought a few of them, but they work great in my other devices, so not a big deal.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Thanks Baditude, that makes sense.

I can use the protected ncr18650b batts, but the Provari won't even turn on with the new "high drain" ncr18650pd. Kinda bummed since I bought a few of them, but they work great in my other devices, so not a big deal.
the panasonic button tops are a bit shorter then most and are hit or miss for hitting the pos post inside the provari.i noticed this on several models of panny's

the provari and other mods will run without high drain batteries as others will attest to but there is a severe power/amperage limit this way and will only work with a small window of resistance.
there is no need to use protected batteries in a regulated mod.

Last edited:

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
the panasonic button tops are a bit shorter then most and are hit or miss for hitting the pos post inside the provari.i noticed this on several models of panny's

the provari and other mods will run without high drain batteries as others will attest to but there is a severe power/amperage limit this way and will only work with a small window of resistance.

Yes, it is the height of the button that's the problem. I only tried the protected version because I had them for other purposes. I know it's not required.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
well on the old 2250 i took a fishing hook and kinda dimpled the button a little bit and it worked, i dont know if the 2900's have the same slots on the side of the nipples to slip something in there. i dont recommend it but just saying lol

LOL, I have enough IMRs that I don't think I'll resort to that just yet.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
lol hear ya, i was just so irked cause i heard they work in the Prov i was gonna make em work somehow. i did it to one of them.then ordered more and they worked fine out of the box. glad i did though. they last a loooong time. and i want the 2900 for that reason too. so it may be like the 2250 and some work some dont.

Last edited:

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

Careful with the above statement... The makers of regulated mods all suggest the use of high drain IMR batteries.
These batteries are "protected" by their safer battery chemistry.

You should never use an unprotected LiCo battery in a mod. A regulated mod can easily exceed their maximum C rating.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Careful with the above statement... The makers of regulated mods all suggest the use of high drain IMR batteries.
These batteries are "protected" by their safer battery chemistry.

You should never use an unprotected LiCo battery in a mod. A regulated mod can easily exceed their maximum C rating.
while spitting hairs you are technically correct he is/was referring to protected batteries labeled as such with pcb's and protection circuits added to the actual battery casing itself. not safe chemistry batteries, as i do not believe there are high drain batteries without the IMR chemistry classification at least none i have come across, the few i have seen of different chemistry are not high drain.

so i will state then - you do not need electronically protected batteries in a regulated mod like the provari because the circuitry has its own short circuit protection.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Because my ProVari is WAY out of warranty, I use flat top Panasonic CGR's in mine with a little rare earth magnet on top... They work fantastic and offer a long life. Not suggested for most if your ProVari is under warranty but in my case I wanted to try it out, taking into account that if I burnt out the board doing it I would assume the risk of having to pay for the repair.

Lucky for me, it works great :)

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
while spitting hairs you are technically correct he is/was referring to protected batteries labeled as such with pcb's and protection circuits added to the actual battery casing itself. not safe chemistry batteries, as i do not believe there are high drain batteries without the IMR chemistry classification at least none i have come across, the few i have seen of different chemistry are not high drain.

so i will state then - you do not need electronically protected batteries in a regulated mod like the provari because the circuitry has its own short circuit protection.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant but for someone who doesn't know any better, the wording could have been misleading.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Because my ProVari is WAY out of warranty, I use flat top Panasonic CGR's in mine with a little rare earth magnet on top... They work fantastic and offer a long life. Not suggested for most if your ProVari is under warranty but in my case I wanted to try it out, taking into account that if I burnt out the board doing it I would assume the risk of having to pay for the repair.

I put a bead of solder on the top of my flat top CGRs to get them to work.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA

This is actually how I determined that the button height was the issue with the PDs. Used the magnet from my epipe button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread