Why I love my screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
Had my S/D about 3 weeks now and I love it. Here are some reasons:

Battery Charge - I've never run one all the way down. I just put one on the charger when it is convenient. I charge one battery per day and I'm a heavy user. This is nice because you don't have to carry around all those batteries and constantly run 2 or 3 chargers. Also will come in handy when there is no power available like power outages and camping trips.

Battery Life - 3 weeks is too short to know for sure, but they should last a long time because they are not being tortured by trying to power something they are not matched for.

Parts Availability - Since they use 901 atomizers you have a lot of choices of places to buy. This is important because you are not stuck with one vendor and you can buy from geographically local places. The batteries and chargers can also be found many places and are inexpensive. In the US you can walk into any RadioShack store and buy them. I couple of days ago I dropped my S/D onto concrete and the switch became very hard to trigger. I had to use two hands to use it:( So I took it apart and looked on-line to see where I might get a new switch. Yeah I could of sent it back to the UK and waited 2 weeks but then I would be SOL for 2 weeks. I went to my local RadioShack and bought a new switch for less than $1. I did have to modify the switch slightly to get it all back together but it's working great:thumb:

Customer Service - Trog is on top of it! He has always responded quickly and provided help and solutions when needed.

Vapor - Nuff said. Very consistent and you can get as much as you want.

3039113924_8978147f19.jpg

just4747

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
You got a red switch? That's weird, mine and everyone else's seems to be black! Both are cool though :)

EDIT: Oh just read the part about you switching it out lol...can you go over what you had to do to put the new one on? Cause I can see mine breaking in the future as it is a bit loose in there and has a little play in its housing.

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
You got a red switch? That's weird, mine and everyone else's seems to be black! Both are cool though :)

EDIT: Oh just read the part about you switching it out lol...can you go over what you had to do to put the new one on? Cause I can see mine breaking in the future as it is a bit loose in there and has a little play in its housing.

Here's the original switch:
3038383631_a9cec5b297.jpg

And here's a new one:

3039221386_8bab3b1f54.jpg

Basically, you need to bend the prongs and connect one to the switch housing. It will make sense if you take yours apart.

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
I didn't really mean for this to become a how to change your switch thread. I just wanted to share why I love my screwdriver. I mentioned the switch because I am very pleased that the S/D is not made with proprietary pieces. Trog is not going out of his way to force us to use his parts. I think that is part of what makes it "just work". That is what we want and that is what we get. I would not recommend taking your S/D apart for no reason. Mine was an emergency:D

p.s. It screws out into the battery compartment and yeah look in the drawers;)

Last edited:

just4747

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Well I know that, but you aren't the only one with some tinkering/technical/modding skills...it's not rocket science and I've done a million similar things. Heck, half of us could make these things on our own but we choose not to. So no worries about me and my SD, I just wanted to know for the future just in case, again, considering the switch is slightly chipped and is a little loose feeling in its place. Like you said, proprietary pieces aren't used so in case something does happen, people like me who live in the U.S. don't necessarily have to send the thing back for a fix and wait 2 weeks for the turnaround.

Thanks though, I'll be able to find the switch now if I need it. ;)

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
:D Ok twist my arm. I'm no scientist or engineer or whatever. I'm sure there is a tool that fits down that compartment, but I don't have one. You could probably just use a long small regular screwdriver haha or two and stick them in the notches and unscrew the switch by its adapter. That is not what I did. Many ways to skin a cat i guess. Use the needle nose pliers on the thing directly under the button. That will get it started and then you can work it out. But that is really the easy part. You still gotta mod your new switch.

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
Not quite that simple sorry. Take out your original switch and look at it. The prong will not reach the metal switch housing. You have to complete that connection. The RS switches are crappier than trogs. I don't solder much, but I could not get a good connection to the housing. Also you gotta be able to get the adapter back on. I got mine to work. But I also have a new switch coming from the factory. It's been working great so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread