Why I think the normal slow-cooker method can produce weaker flavours with certain things

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruguhan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I'm not an expert, but after reading the thread on the slow-cooker method, my main reply to those experiencing weak flavor is because the method can only extract the flavours that are soluble in VG or PG.

I was thinking about espresso. The primary difference between the making of espresso vs drip coffee, is that the espresso machine produces pressure, that pressure extracts the oils within the bean which otherwise (in drip coffee) would not be extracted...hence the intense flavour.

My hypothesis is that those who have pressurized slow-cookers will be able to produce more intense flavours than those that don't.

When I can afford one, I'll let you know haha (the one I liked was $175 on amazon canada - though the $100 ones look good too - those in the States could probably pick them up for half that).

Last edited:

Lowry

Nov 13, 2013
Virginia
I would like to clear a lot of steps out of the extraction process. Use one of the food saver glass mason jars to extract. Simply heat your mash up (stove-top pre boil heat 30 minutes with stirs), place in jar and vacuum ALL of the air out. You'll see your pg/vg expand with air bubbles beyond belief.

Please also note that this is the best quick steeping process I have EVER used!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread