Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I smoked for 35 years, then quit smoking for 10 years.

In January, 2011, I started a drawing class at the local community college. My classmates would take a break and go outside and smoke. I started bumming occasional cigarettes. By May, 2011, I was smoking 1/2 a pack a day. In November, 2011, I got a cold. The cough just would not go away!

I decided to quit smoking. I didn't want to go through the pain of quitting again. I started researching Chantix online, and it wasn't for me.

Then I found this forum. I knew I wanted to try vaping. I didn't realize that it would be so expensive to find the right juice! I have spent a ton of $$$ on juices already.

For the first few weeks 18 mg. was good for me. Then I started getting jittery with it, so I am down to 12 mg.

I talked to my doctor, and he was upset that I started smoking again, and didn't think that much of vaping, and wants me to quit vaping, too. My dentist said that if something dries out your mouth, it is bad for your teeth and gums. These are enough reason that I want to quit vaping.

My plan is to go town to 6 mg, then 0 mg, then quit altogether by March, 2012.

How about you? What's your story?
Sandy

DevilFishPhil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Montreal, QC
Are you buying your e-juice from a supplier or are you DIY'ing? The great thing about DIY is that you can test yourself at lower mg levels for example you could try mixing a small 3ml bottle with 2mg e-juice and see how that goes. If you find you can go the whole day on 2mg you'll be that much closer to your eventual goal. I'm not saying it would be easy going down from 12 to 2 and maybe you'll find it's too low but then you can up it to 6 and maybe that'll do the trick.

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
I buy the juice. I figure if I start DIY it will be another huge expense to get started.

it actually can be *cheaper* -- if you simply buy a bottle of unflavored nicotine and then use an online eliquid calculator to determine the amount you want to add to premade, zero nic juices (some vendors sell their zero nic juices way cheaper)...i vape anywhere from 2-6mgs, depending on my mood.

DevilFishPhil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Montreal, QC
DIY is surprisingly cheap, especially if you're mixing lower mg juice:

For a 30ml bottle of 12mg 70/30 e-juice if you're using 60mg nic juice from RTS Vapes and flavoring from ECigExpress, it would cost you $4.05 vs. $15 on average for juice from most vendors.

Bottles and syringes cost literally pennies, so the set up cost is actually incredibly low and it would certainly help you in reaching your end goal of 0mg because you're in control of your nic content and you can decide on a whim to drop your nic level by simply adding some PG or VG to your existing juice or mixing up a new batch in under 5 minutes.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
DIY is surprisingly cheap, especially if you're mixing lower mg juice:

For a 30ml bottle of 12mg 70/30 e-juice if you're using 60mg nic juice from RTS Vapes and flavoring from ECigExpress, it would cost you $4.05 vs. $15 on average for juice from most vendors.

Bottles and syringes cost literally pennies, so the set up cost is actually incredibly low and it would certainly help you in reaching your end goal of 0mg because you're in control of your nic content and you can decide on a whim to drop your nic level by simply adding some PG or VG to your existing juice or mixing up a new batch in under 5 minutes.

Thanks, you guys! I think for me it would be a problem, because there are so few juices I like. I would end up buying a ton of flavorings.

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I vaped 80vg/20pg for about six months. I couldn't leave my house without carrying two big water bottles with me, because I was always sooooo thirsty. It finally dawned on me that I should try vaping liquid with a higher VG content. I've been using mostly 50/50, and the constant thirst is gone. The other thing I noticed was when I started vaping my skin was really dry, but I just attributed the dryness on my face to aging. Once I upped the VG, my skin is no longer dry. So my first recommendation would be to try a liquid with more VG in it.

Flavors are really hard to nail down, your taste buds improve once you stop smoking, and it took me a while to figure out what I liked. One of my favorite flavors is Bear Claw, which was actually a free sample that I received with an order from Velvet Vapors. This vendor has a great selection, including organic, and she sells 3ml bottles. I have a tackle box full of liquid, but I have two flavors I alternate during the day, and then two others I mostly vape at night. I went from smoking menthol to vaping menthol, then cinnamon, then tried just about everything (bacon wasn't as bad as I thought!). Now when I go to vape meets, I'll try other flavors, but mostly stick to the ones I already like.

Your doctor may not have much knowledge about e-cigs, except for the statement the FDA issued when they tested 18 cartridges from China. If you haven't been to the CASAA website yet, it might put your doctor's fears to rest if you print out some of the information available here. CASAA.org While vendors can't make claims that e-cigs can help people quit, anecdotal evidence does prove otherwise. If your doctor sees that not only did vaping stop you from using tobacco, but that you were able to reduce your nicotine level gradually until you are able to wean yourself off of nicotine, he might be more apt to suggest harm reduction alternatives to other patients who can't quit. It might also be helpful to tell your doctor about the program that Dr. Brad Rodu has started in Kentucky, "Switch & Quit Owensboro". Switch & Quit Owensboro

Vaping has a learning curve, it's not anywhere near as easy as opening a fresh pack and finding your lighter. And vaping isn't for everyone, I've been vaping since August 2010 and my husband still smokes, he's tried vaping but has no interest in it. Everyone's experience with vaping will be different, finding ECF helped me out a great deal when I was just starting out. It sounds like you're on the right track, I have seen lots of people post all their vaping supplies in the classifieds because they were able to gradually stop vaping completely.

simplyme82

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Murrieta, CA
This is something I found by accident doing DIY. When I buy from a vendor, I get 18mg nic. This gives me the TH that I need to stay off analogs. When I DIY, I can not vape 18mg. It's too harsh. I had to cut it back to 12mg.

So my advice would be to try DIY. You may find that it's a lot easier to cut back on the NIC

minigoat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
USA
There is nothing wrong with that. My plan is to get down to zero Nic and then re-evaluate whether to continue vaping or not at that time. Granted my schedule is not nearly as aggressive as yours is. I am DIY and reducing Nic 1mg per month.

I know two individuals who are what I would call casual no-nic vapors. One of them has quite the story and smoked until last summer. Because of health issues he cannot test positive for any Nic otherwise he would lose priority on the transplant list. They come over and play around like mad scientists with my DIY stuff every week or so. It really is neat...

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
I understand the expensive issue and the hard finding juices you like issue. Thats why I took up DIY for making sweet simple ingredient vapes at home to figure out what works for me and what doesn't and treat myself to my fav tobacco vapes elsewhere once in awhile.

I have no end date in mind unless it becomes too expensive for me to maintain. I commend you that you have a goal and there's nothing wrong with deciding this is not something you want to do long term and working your way out of it.

As far as the doctor and the dentist, I would base my decision on how I felt vaping--if you feel its too drying or other symptoms, etc. not because someone told me to stop.

Eliteedge_7

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Shelby , Michigan
Wile I myself do not plan on quitting vaping, I would like to say I am happy there are people out there doing this. You guys have my full support and I would like to encourage everyone who has and/or plans to quit to spread the word, there may be people out there who want to do this and just have not found the support. Keep up the good work all!!!!!

araczynski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
omaha, ne
i want to quit someday just because i don't want the addiction to the nic, nor do i want to keep hiding it from my wife :( she's old school, and whenever i broached the subject when we walk by one of those mall stands and tried to explain how it works to her she responds in a way that signals non acceptance. then again she thinks i've been smoke free for longer than i have been, but at least since i started vaping i HAVE been smoke free. i'll have to win this battle on my own it seems.

sadly i made the mistake of stocking up on some juices over the xmas deals, now i have to get my post count up to 300 to try and sell of it :)

damn healthcabin :) i bought

110ml of unflavored
110ml of menthol
110ml of cherry
110ml of grape
bunch of DC cartomisers and some flavorings...

was actually thinking of selling off most of this before i even go it, right before they switched the rules to 300 posts :(

Last edited:

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
Hello all. Just gave vaping up on Friday, 12/30 after starting in July. Just quit cold turkey. Gave all my vaping gear to my daughter's BF. For me, the nicotine addiction is the easy part of the quitting battle, so I decided that dropping down to 0 nicotine was pointless. Getting over the psychological hump is completely different ball game. That's where I really have a war on my hands. The mind is a very powerful thing and once you tell it that it likes to have a vape after you eat, it still wants to have that vape after you eat... even after the nicotine is long gone from your system. I'm sure all of you know what I mean. So for now, I'm using candy canes when I really feel a strong craving. They were cheap and easy to come by this time of year. :laugh: Good to know there's some support out here for me. Love this forum and it's nice to stay here even for non-vaping reasons!

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
Good luck to you Araczynkski. :)
i want to quit someday just because i don't want the addiction to the nic, nor do i want to keep hiding it from my wife :( she's old school, and whenever i broached the subject when we walk by one of those mall stands and tried to explain how it works to her she responds in a way that signals non acceptance. then again she thinks i've been smoke free for longer than i have been, but at least since i started vaping i HAVE been smoke free. i'll have to win this battle on my own it seems.

sadly i made the mistake of stocking up on some juices over the xmas deals, now i have to get my post count up to 300 to try and sell of it :)

damn healthcabin :) i bought

110ml of unflavored
110ml of menthol
110ml of cherry
110ml of grape
bunch of DC cartomisers and some flavorings...

was actually thinking of selling off most of this before i even go it, right before they switched the rules to 300 posts :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread