Why is my battery getting so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
stop using it immediately. if it's that hot, it's not far from thermal runaway. you might have gotten a fake battery, or something. especially in a regulated mod, your batteries should never get too hot to handle.
Thermal runaway???? What's that?
This is a relatively new mod, think it's the mod or battery?? Sucks to not use anymore, its new.

Reactions: stols001

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
jbash99, check mooch's battery lists for batteries. He's tested various ones and lists their true real world specs.
List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Samsung and LG are pretty decent. Also, only buy batteries from a reputable seller. Not Amazon or Ebay, as there's a high probability that you could get fakes.

And of course, like others have said. Loose the battery, no way should it get that hot when it's being used.

Also, could you please tell us what ohm resistance coil you are using? As this is very important. Because it is needed to work out how many amps you are drawing from the battery.

Just checked X6 0.15 and T10 0.12 coils, X6 requires 28 Amps and T10 requires 35 amps. So you may be able to use at the lowest the X6, as there's no 20700 batteries that are rated at 35 Amps or higher. Best to go a bit higher for saftey.

And if you ever need to work out power drawn from a battery, use 4.2 Volts and the coil resistance in an online ohms law calculator. I use this one here.
Ohms Law Calculator

• Winner
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ijoy savor,
Ijoy Sabor

jbash99, check mooch's battery lists for batteries. He's tested various ones and lists their true real world specs.

Samsung and LG are pretty decent. Also, only buy batteries from a reputable seller. Not Amazon or Ebay, as there's a high probability that you could get fakes.

And of course, like others have said. Loose the battery, no way should it get that hot when it's being used.

Also, could you please tell us what ohm resistance coil you are using? As this is very important. Because it is needed to work out how many amps you are drawing from the battery.

Just checked X6 0.15 and T10 0.12 coils, X6 requires 28 Amps and T10 requires 35 amps. So you may be able to use at the lowest the X6, as there's no 20700 batteries that are rated at 35 Amps or higher. Best to go a bit higher for saftey.

And if you ever need to work out power drawn from a battery, use 4.2 Volts and the coil resistance in an online ohms law calculator. I use this one here.
Ohms Law Calculator
I assume she means an Ijoy Saber. If so, that's a regulated mod, and we need to ask how many watts she's using, not the resistance of her coil.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
As others have said there is something seriously wrong here so for Heaven's sake don't use the thing as is.

I've had a mech mod built by a reputable Spanish maker which stripped the battery wrap and hard shorted; I was in the garden and was able to chuck it away before things got nasty ... and they can get seriously nasty very quickly.

It really is best to play safe, even it it costs you money ( and that's a Scotsman saying that! )

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I'll try a new battery and let you guys know, I'll get tomorrow it just started though, so hoping it's the , thanks so much!!!!

Just to pitch in as well. There are 3 scenario's here. 1) You may have a hard short fault on the device. 2) You may have a hard short directly on the battery/battery tray. 3) Your battery has a serious manufacturing fault.

Number 3 is extremely rare so unlikely but cannot be excluded at this stage. As everyone else has said stop using the battery/mod immediately and let us know whether the new battery you get runs cool as it should......Also you need to look into the exact maximum amp draw for your battery and whether you're exceeding it. Type mooch on youtube and there are lots of videos explaining the issues to look out for.

Keep yourself safe :)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Ohms Law Calculator

It is a regulated device. The battery does not see the resistance of the coil like a mechanical. Current draw from the battery is based on the power setting to which the draw will be it’s highest at the devices lowest voltage. The regulated circuit is only requesting power from the battery so as voltage drops, current increases to compensate. I = Power/Voltage

So to calculate the maximum current draw on the battery(s) with a regulated device we need to know the maximum power you wish to use, how many cells are being used, the devices cut off voltage and efficiency. The iJoy Saber is a single cell device with a cut off voltage of 3.3 volts and 90% efficiency is a safe guesstimate.

So if the user’s prescribed power is 60 watts, the calculations will be as such.

60 watts/1 cell = 60
60/3.3 volts (cut off)/0.9 (efficiency) = 20.8amps

Mooch tested the iJoy 20700 to be a 20 to 30 amp battery depending on which version is being used.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Please pay heed to the above and get a reputable known battery from a known vendor. Just going back to where you went and getting a different battery model may not be enough. Vape shops have been known to sell rewraps of batteries that didn't pass quality control, etc.

Even if you have to wait a few days for shipping it is worth it. Your mod will last far longer if you don't blow it up. And a bad battery and a smok mod is kind of like the perfect storm for venting.

Welcome by the way.

Anna

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
As a new industry, vaping doesn't have much regulation other than opinion from all sides. Well, the makers, sellers, etc. sometimes take advantage of that.

When I first started, ECF didn't really have a thread for each piece of anything about vaping and that includes your battery, mod, tank...

Here, on ECF, we realize that we have to watch out for others. A battery going thermal will probably make the news, and help to squash what is key to getting a lot of people off cigs.

Use the sub-forums, chat with others, send private messages...learn. Then, after some time, pass on what you have learned to help another.

For me, I read "What's New" every day. I research all purchases. I find the best.

Good luck! I hope you listen to the others and have safer, less costly, enjoyment in vaping. Don't forget to pass it on when you can. We don't want politicians managing our getting off of cigs in a healthy way. We look out for each other.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread