Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I'll try a new battery and let you guys know, I'll get tomorrow it just started though, so hoping it's the , thanks so much!!!!

Please DONT use the mod with that battery until you try a different battery!!!

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
someone asked what thermal runaway is

people say a pic is worth a thousand words
so here's two gif's
200wSO10JWQT.gif
giphy (4).gif

always buy batteries from good supplers

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
what watts are you using? what is the ohm of the coil? are you chain vaping?

chances are it's a bad battery, now mine are warm sometimes when I remove them but that's because I was chain vaping on them
but it could also be a defected mod
if it is new, I would take it back to the shop you got it from and exchange it both the mod and battery for something new. And yes please do look at mooch's battery list

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
what watts are you using? what is the ohm of the coil? are you chain vaping?

chances are it's a bad battery, now mine are warm sometimes when I remove them but that's because I was chain vaping on them
but it could also be a defected mod
if it is new, I would take it back to the shop you got it from and exchange it both the mod and battery for something new. And yes please do look at mooch's battery list
Thank you, I sure will!!!!

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
jbash99, check mooch's battery lists for batteries. He's tested various ones and lists their true real world specs.
List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Samsung and LG are pretty decent. Also, only buy batteries from a reputable seller. Not Amazon or Ebay, as there's a high probability that you could get fakes.

And of course, like others have said. Loose the battery, no way should it get that hot when it's being used.

Also, could you please tell us what ohm resistance coil you are using? As this is very important. Because it is needed to work out how many amps you are drawing from the battery.

Just checked X6 0.15 and T10 0.12 coils, X6 requires 28 Amps and T10 requires 35 amps. So you may be able to use at the lowest the X6, as there's no 20700 batteries that are rated at 35 Amps or higher. Best to go a bit higher for saftey.

And if you ever need to work out power drawn from a battery, use 4.2 Volts and the coil resistance in an online ohms law calculator. I use this one here.
Ohms Law Calculator
It says 0.17 ohms????

• Informative
Reactions: Mordacai

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
As others have said there is something seriously wrong here so for Heaven's sake don't use the thing as is.

I've had a mech mod built by a reputable Spanish maker which stripped the battery wrap and hard shorted; I was in the garden and was able to chuck it away before things got nasty ... and they can get seriously nasty very quickly.

It really is best to play safe, even it it costs you money ( and that's a Scotsman saying that! )
Thank you, I will

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
Just to pitch in as well. There are 3 scenario's here. 1) You may have a hard short fault on the device. 2) You may have a hard short directly on the battery/battery tray. 3) Your battery has a serious manufacturing fault.

Number 3 is extremely rare so unlikely but cannot be excluded at this stage. As everyone else has said stop using the battery/mod immediately and let us know whether the new battery you get runs cool as it should......Also you need to look into the exact maximum amp draw for your battery and whether you're exceeding it. Type mooch on youtube and there are lots of videos explaining the issues to look out for.

Keep yourself safe :)
Thank you so much

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
Please pay heed to the above and get a reputable known battery from a known vendor. Just going back to where you went and getting a different battery model may not be enough. Vape shops have been known to sell rewraps of batteries that didn't pass quality control, etc.

Even if you have to wait a few days for shipping it is worth it. Your mod will last far longer if you don't blow it up. And a bad battery and a smok mod is kind of like the perfect storm for venting.

Welcome by the way.

Anna
Thank you Anna!!!!

Reactions: Fidola13

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
Please pay heed to the above and get a reputable known battery from a known vendor. Just going back to where you went and getting a different battery model may not be enough. Vape shops have been known to sell rewraps of batteries that didn't pass quality control, etc.

Even if you have to wait a few days for shipping it is worth it. Your mod will last far longer if you don't blow it up. And a bad battery and a smok mod is kind of like the perfect storm for venting.

Welcome by the way.

Anna
Where do you get your batteries from, or can you send me a place to order from. We have one shop here in town and that's it, and that's where I got the battery from, so I hate tho get another from them!!

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The logical explanation to your heat problem is a over stressed battery. However, other factors such as an ill fitting atomizer could also contribute to heat.

Mooch has tested 3 different versions of the iJoy 20700, to which he has rated between 20 and 30amps – 55 watts is a comfortable setting should these ratings hold true. However, the iJoy is a re-wrapped battery so there is the possibility you acquired one that is rated even lower than 20 amps.

On top of acquiring a legit 20700 battery, and I would highly recommend the Sanyo NCR20700A or Sanyo NCR20700C, I would also try a different atomizer in the event your current one is not fitting properly. There is also the possibility there is something wrong with the device.

Regardless the device should not get hot. If it does, either through use or if you are charging it through a USB, stop using/charging immediately until you can figure out the problem.

iJoy 40A 3000mAh 20700 Bench Test Results...overrated but a good 30A battery

Bench Test Results: iJoy 40A 3000mAh 20700 (4-“leg” version)...only 20A

Bench Test Results: iJoy 40A 3000mAh 20700...third version of this battery, hugely overrated

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
[JUSTIFY_TEXT][JUSTIFY_TEXT][/JUSTIFY_TEXT][/JUSTIFY_TEXT]sorry guys
regulated mods dont need moochs list
as long as you buy from a trusted vape source

not sure how this thing was made a thing, properly because people were using torch batterys,, if your batteries aren't up to the job the mod will flag up a battery warning ie low battery etc

remember the mod monitors the battery and it's output for safety, yes the mod doesn't know the ohm rating for the batteries but that is meaningless here

the mod takes the power from the battery and ups the power in the chip it's self
when you hear about regulated mods exploding it is either from usb charging, cheaply made mod, dodge batts
or batteries made for low power usage ie torch but eve

for me ohms law for a reg mod = null
been on this topic before elsewhere

so..

let the arguing commence :D

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
[JUSTIFY_TEXT][JUSTIFY_TEXT][/JUSTIFY_TEXT][/JUSTIFY_TEXT]sorry guys
regulated mods dont need moochs list
as long as you buy from a trusted vape source

not sure how this thing was made a thing, properly because people were using torch batterys,, if your batteries aren't up to the job the mod will flag up a battery warning ie low battery etc

remember the mod monitors the battery and it's output for safety, yes the mod doesn't know the ohm rating for the batteries but that is meaningless here

the mod takes the power from the battery and ups the power in the chip it's self
when you hear about regulated mods exploding it is either from usb charging, cheaply made mod, dodge batts
or batteries made for low power usage ie torch but eve

for me ohms law for a reg mod = null
been on this topic before elsewhere

so..

let the arguing commence :D

That is incorrect. The user is running 55 watts on a single cell which would dictate ~14 to 20 amp draw depending on the battery voltage. Should the batteries CDR be lower than that range, you will stress the battery causing heat. As long as the voltage is available, the device will attempt to draw those currents. Looking at Mooch’s tests, the iJoy’s I linked above as an example, you can see the batteries are able to produce higher than rated current but operate much hotter.

This is not to say the OP is over stressing their battery, but it is a logical explanation.

Ohms Law in terms of coil resistance drawing current from a cell is irrelevant with a regulated device. But Ohms Law in terms of Current = Power/Voltage is an important factor to consider when it comes to the proper battery to use.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
That is incorrect. The user is running 55 watts on a single cell which would dictate ~14 to 20 amp draw depending on the battery voltage. Should the batteries CDR be lower than that range, you will stress the battery causing heat. As long as the voltage is available, the device will attempt to draw those currents. Looking at Mooch’s tests, the iJoy’s I linked above as an example, you can see the batteries are able to produce higher than rated current but operate much hotter.

This is not to say the OP is over stressing their battery, but it is a logical explanation.

Ohms Law in terms of coil resistance drawing current from a cell is irrelevant with a regulated device. But Ohms Law in terms of Current = Power/Voltage is an important factor to consider when it comes to the proper battery to use.
"the mod takes the power from the battery and ups the power in the chip it's self"
the power doesn't come direct from the battery mate mech rules do not apply here

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
"the mod takes the power from the battery and ups the power in the chip it's self"
the power doesn't come direct from the battery mate mech rules do not apply here

Umm… Power does come from the batteries. That’s their job, to deliver power!

A regulator chip still requests your prescribed wattage from the batteries. And to be technical, it also takes a little power for its self in order to regulate, hence the efficiency of the device. In order to meet you power demand, as your voltage depletes within your batteries, current increases to compensate.

If we use the OP’s 55 watts with a single cell and an efficiency of 90% as an example we get a battery current draw of… (Watts/# of cells/battery voltage/efficiency)

55/1 = 55
55/4.2 volts (for full battery)/0.9 = 14.5 amps

At 3.2 volts we get 19 amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread