Why is my battery getting so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbash99

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2015
Illinois
Thanks everyone, I went and got a new battery today, and outs not getting hot at all!!!! So thank you all so much, I've learned a lot from all of you!!! Thangs Thamuch for everyone's in put!!!!! I appreciate you all taking the time to help a newby!!!!!! Thanks again
Jbash999

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thanks everyone, I went and got a new battery today, and outs not getting hot at all!!!! So thank you all so much, I've learned a lot from all of you!!! Thangs Thamuch for everyone's in put!!!!! I appreciate you all taking the time to help a newby!!!!!! Thanks again
Jbash999

:thumbs:

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
@stormjib
Ohm's Law Calculator Insert any two known numbers into the online calculator and you will get the other two unknown numbers.

romJFU-9cDv3jZmtlHNGS1N6U21m2qXVCDp5zZuo1OyBh2TTngXLkpSIPPm4GqPgDF8=w720-h310

Yeah I get this, but the wattage chart that suggests that resistance (practically) doesn't affect amperage is what confuses me when applied to a variable voltage device. There aren't that many of them out there so probably it's moot, but an example. Dovpo Vee mod, dual series, variable voltage. Usually around 3.7-5 volts. Given that it's a regulated mod, albeit vv rather than vw, do I have to consider the resistance of my coil, or only the 'supply' side of the board? I hope this clarifies my question. I don't worry that I'm doing anything unsafe, but would like to match the best batteries to the mod.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
Jbash999
excellent money saved

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
now I don't understand 220w dual 18650 mods :/ :D

I've never understood cars having 120mph speedometers, either. That's almost twice the speed limit in most places and certainly a dangerous hobby if you like to push a car to its limits.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yeah I get this, but the wattage chart that suggests that resistance (practically) doesn't affect amperage is what confuses me when applied to a variable voltage device. There aren't that many of them out there so probably it's moot, but an example. Dovpo Vee mod, dual series, variable voltage. Usually around 3.7-5 volts. Given that it's a regulated mod, albeit vv rather than vw, do I have to consider the resistance of my coil, or only the 'supply' side of the board? I hope this clarifies my question. I don't worry that I'm doing anything unsafe, but would like to match the best batteries to the mod.

Variable Voltage devices are no different to a Variable Wattage in that there is still a regulator chip involved. Like a VW device it will be the regulator circuit drawing current from the batteries based on the user power output and not the resistance of their coil. However, unlike a VW device we have to use the coil’s resistance within our calculations to figure out what that battery draw is. Unfortunately, I do not know of a quick and easy chart to this other than the calculator that Steam Engine offers.

Using a 0.5 ohm coil at 4 volts as an example, we have a 8 amp draw at the coil side. If we convert this to watts, which is 32 watts we can figure out the battery draw by using Watts per battery/Battery voltage/efficiency.

So with the above example and using 90% efficiency there would be 8.4 amps draw at a full battery 4.2 volts. And 11.11 amps draw at the usual 3.2 volt cut off.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've never understood cars having 120mph speedometers, either. That's almost twice the speed limit in most places and certainly a dangerous hobby if you like to push a car to its limits.

It's for the same reason it's on mods. Marketing.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A speedometer is just a gauge, not a performance claim. :)

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Variable Voltage devices are no different to a Variable Wattage in that there is still a regulator chip involved.

Potenciometer I think is not considered regulator chip,it just bucks voltage in a series mod.

Like a VW device it will be the regulator circuit drawing current from the batteries based on the user power output and not the resistance of their coil.

In a VV mod like Dovpo M VV it is the resistance of coil/coils that determine current draw.In fact it is unregulated with safety features.The option to buck voltage doesn't make it a regulated device.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Potenciometer I think is not considered regulator chip,it just bucks voltage in a series mod.

In a VV mod like Dovpo M VV it is the resistance of coil/coils that determine current draw.In fact it is unregulated with safety features.The option to buck voltage doesn't make it a regulated device.

My comments were not on a Potentiometer, but a regulated circuit. @stormjib brought up the Dovpo Vee which is a regulated variable voltage device. Current draw on the batteries, not the coil, applies in the same fashion as a variable wattage device.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
My comments were not on a Potentiometer, but a regulated circuit. @stormjib brought up the Dovpo Vee which is a regulated variable voltage device. Current draw on the batteries, not the coil, applies in the same fashion as a variable wattage device.

From DOVPO Site: "

After adding safety features and regulation capabilities to a mechanical vape device, cutting all the bells and whistles from a regulated device you normally see these days, we came up with the VEE."

To me it seems current draw depends strictly on the resistance of coil/coils.
There is a 35 A limit so a low resistance build will not be allowed to pull more amps.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
From DOVPO Site: "

After adding safety features and regulation capabilities to a mechanical vape device, cutting all the bells and whistles from a regulated device you normally see these days, we came up with the VEE."

To me it seems current draw depends strictly on the resistance of coil/coils.
There is a 35 A limit so a low resistance build will not be allowed to pull more amps.

Also on the Dovpo site.

"Instead of regulating wattage, you regulate voltage from 1.0v to 8.0v on the VEE."

Seem there is a lot of reference to the word “regulate” for an unregulated device.

Having a current draw limits does not mean the device is not regulated. Many regulated, VW devices even, have current limits.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Also on the Dovpo site.

"Instead of regulating wattage, you regulate voltage from 1.0v to 8.0v on the VEE."

Seem there is a lot of reference to the word “regulate” for an unregulated device.

Having a current draw limits does not mean the device is not regulated. Many regulated, VW devices even, have current limits.

But you can't deny resistance is the major factor at current draw on a VV device.
And sorry if I keep you awake this late Toronto hour.:)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
But you can't deny resistance is the major factor at current draw on a VV device.
And sorry if I keep you awake this late Toronto hour.:)

0.5 ohm coil at 4 volts for a regulated variable voltage device equals the same as a 0.5 ohm coil at 32 watts on a regulated variable wattage device. For both the coil draws 8 amps

On the battery side both cases would draw 11.1 amps from a single cell at 3.2 volts at 90% efficiency.

increase the voltage to 6 volts with the same 0.5 ohm coil. This equals the same as 72 watts on a variable wattage device – current draw is the same as well at 12 amps

And again on the battery side both will draw 25 amps from a single cell at 3.2 volts at 90% efficiency.

And not to worry about keep me up :toast:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think the simplest way to think about this is you choose the wattage or voltage. That's what's delivered to the coil. The coil defines what the wattage or voltage is based on by what you feel is the best power level for the build. You build (or choose your drop in coil) based on what resistance will work best within the range/specs of your mod. In an unregulated/mech, the resistance is the only thing you can "adjust" to give you the vape you want. So in any form of "regulated" power delivery, you have two factors to adjust to give you your fave vape. In unregulated/mech, only one, the resistance of the coil.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Sorry, couldn't resist the chance to chuck in a silly question. With VV, if you're using a stainless steel coil, will the vape tail off just a little as the resistance changes (presuambly increases)? Would that be more pronounced on something like ss430, with its slightly higher TCR? And if VW adjusts the voltage to maintain a set wattage, it wouldn't have as much to do if you're using (say) kanthal? So VW sort of implies resistance tracking, whereas VV doesn't?

Thanks.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I think the simplest way to think about this is you choose the wattage or voltage. That's what's delivered to the coil. The coil defines what the wattage or voltage is based on by what you feel is the best power level for the build. You build (or choose your drop in coil) based on what resistance will work best within the range/specs of your mod. In an unregulated/mech, the resistance is the only thing you can "adjust" to give you the vape you want. So in any form of "regulated" power delivery, you have two factors to adjust to give you your fave vape. In unregulated/mech, only one, the resistance of the coil.
Sorry, couldn't resist the chance to chuck in a silly question. With VV, if you're using a stainless steel coil, will the vape tail off just a little as the resistance changes (presuambly increases)? Would that be more pronounced on something like ss430, with its slightly higher TCR? And if VW adjusts the voltage to maintain a set wattage, it wouldn't have as much to do if you're using (say) kanthal? So VW sort of implies resistance tracking, whereas VV doesn't?

Thanks.
To me, the difference between VV and VW...is reading the ohms of the coil.

So for VV, it's SET. You set the voltage, and that's the voltage regardless of the coil ohms. Period.

But for VW, you need the ohms of the coil to do the wattage calculation....it adjusts the voltage dynamically depending on the instantaneous coil ohms to get to that wattage. So as the coil ohms change, so will the voltage. IDK how "instantaneous" the calc really is. But that's why VW devices sometimes "tick" when idle for a minute or four...they're sampling the ohms periodically, several times per second. But when firing...IDK, but at minimum it will use the last-known ohms value.

There may be some designed that actually measure wattage external/regardless of the coil, but that would take measuring volts and amps and having some math fun.

:2c:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Thanks.

Well, in a mech the resistance increasing from say 0.5 ohm (cold) to 0.6 ohm isn't all that noticeable. It's still a hotter vape at the end of the draw. VW just means you set the wattage and the board delivers that to the board. It doesn't read the resistance dynamically to adjust the original power output. If it did, then you essentially have temp control, and after all this I don't think we want to open that can of worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread